What's new

only edge search?

snappy

Full Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
225
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OK I know some people here only edge search the halves here is a photo see if you are as good as you think, pick the silver halves. I will post the true # of silver in the photo along with a face photo of these coins in a few days.
 

Attachments

  • silver.webp
    silver.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0
The problem with a picture is that you are only seeing part of the coin's edge. If you are going to edge check only, rotation of the coins in your fingers is key. I would say maybe 2 (minimum) or 3 full rotations to fully see what you have in your hand. This is what I do when I sort through dimes. I don't edge check halves...with even 40% as hard as they are to find nowadays, missing 1 or 2 would be a disaster in my book. Volume or not, I don't understand just edge checking the coins...take the time and have fun looking at lots of coins. The dates are LARGE and there are only 20 coins per roll...who cares if it takes a little longer.

Jeff
 
JD-GA said:
Yep ive got 3 or 4 stacks with the clad lookin rims. Yet i dont check dates anymore due to volume. I rim check then clank test them. Dont care what the rims look like those silver ones always sing the same tune.

JD those coinstar machines reject silver anywho so your covered.
 
Bottom line is everyone will do what they THINK works for them. I will just be happy to be the one that finds the silver the edge and sound people miss!!!!! HI HO SILVER!!!!!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
 
Ok Snappy you win but the picture is different than real.

DW
 
I stopped by the bank and picked up 30 halves that the teller told me a coin hunter just turned in.....he missed one.....64 Kennedy.....not bad...must have been confused.
 
JJtheRollHunter said:
I do what Mojo does. Quick rim check, then sound check.

Right on!
Upon first glance I would have pulled 10 of those coins as suspected silver the rest I would have poured into my other hand and would have heard the distinct sound of silver coins clanking together and then pull the rest.

I should produce a video of this method to prove my point but the sound test always catches what the eyes miss.

I'm not saying I never look at the dates. What I'm saying is that I pull all the coins that look like silver and check the dates. Many turn out to be early 70's. Then I do the waterfall on the remainders. If I hear silver, I'll check the balance of the coins closer, but many times a 92 seems to give off the sound of silver along with many well worn edged Halves. I really don't have enough time to date search every coin and am confident in my proven method.

And I'll say it again "I NEVER" miss with this method. This is one of those things I can truly say I am sure of. Been searching 10 to 15 boxes a week for 4 years now and I could do this in the dark.

I will go on to say tha I am such a fanatic that it would be very dispariging if I felt that I possibly missed even 1 40%. It would drive me nuts. I must also confess that my dump bank has a slow machine that rejects silver and the only time it rejected a half that I was dumping was the time I trusted my daughter to search a box and I got a 67 back in the reject tray. So that gives me peace of mind and assures me that I personally have not missed a single silver keeper.

This macine also rejects the magic coins of wich I have missed several times. Those coins make a dull hollow thud when clanging them togeather. But nowhere near the sweet sound of silver.

Mojo
 
For the record L to R The 10 coins that I would have pulled first are.

1,2,3,8,9,10,11,20,21 & 25

Of wich I would have felt confident that #2 & 9 were 90%'s and possibly #20 & 21

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom