pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Meanwhile the local shopping cart pusher sees a hard drive in the trash. Picks it out gets a few Pence for recycling.
Meanwhile the dude is dumpster diving the landfill.
Everyday saying to the reflection in the mirror, idiot, idiot, idiot.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I was thinking the Same. Someone snagged it out the Trash years ago.
& probably in another trash Pile or in a corner somewhere by now

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some guy found it and scrounged the magnets from it.

IF you have ever done this you know what a feat this can be.
Right at the moment I,ve got about 30 full size hard drives and 17 or so of the minis that come out of laptops.They,re pretty easy to take apart but aside from aluminum there,s not a lot of valuable metal there.The magnets come out really easily.I,ve got around 25 pounds of those magnets In a box.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some guy found it and scrounged the magnets from it.

IF you have ever done this you know what a feat this can be.
There's a few ways for this drive to go in recycling.
The folks that do e-waste (electronic scrap)
Then there's irony aluminum scrap.
The e-waste guy might sell it as a hard drive if it cycles up. If not dismantle it for PCB, magnet, aluminum recovery and gold wash pins
If it went straight to irony aluminum it probably get shredded or sent to another country that has the cheap labor for recycling.
Probably someone somewhere didn't even know what it contained.
Then again there might be some need that knew how to recover data, oh my what did I find.
Well say hello to your new daddy .

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never figured out how to take them apart, but i did figure out how to put a hurtin' on the
inside with a screwdriver, a hammer and gasoline
one I buried in the yard somewhere after 2 others ended up in my burn barrel and eventually
used as clean fill to help fill in old stripping pits by land owners when they emptied my Barrel.
Maybe a Million Years from now someone Panning gold may find some if any existed in them

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Right at the moment I,ve got about 30 full size hard drives and 17 or so of the minis that come out of laptops.They,re pretty easy to take apart but aside from aluminum there,s not a lot of valuable metal there.The magnets come out really easily.I,ve got around 25 pounds of those magnets In a box.
The magnets out of mainframes were awesome.
I did the recycling for Mastercard, through a electrical company.
When they switched computers and backup power supply it was really something. 26 computers the size of a single door fridge, to a single computer the size of a midsized deep freeze.
3 train locomotive engines for the back up power to a single propane generator.(the 3 went to power up a huge greenhouse operation)
I filled 5 40 yrd bins with wire.
Now there was a secure building. Bullet proof glass 2" thick for the control room, when I entered in to a 3 sided turn style, then it locked mid way till I was approved, then I could proceed. I felt weird as there would be no getting out if they decided that they would be arse and keep a person midway through.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few ways for this drive to go in recycling.
The folks that do e-waste (electronic scrap)
Then there's irony aluminum scrap.
The e-waste guy might sell it as a hard drive if it cycles up. If not dismantle it for PCB, magnet, aluminum recovery and gold wash pins
If it went straight to irony aluminum it probably get shredded or sent to another country that has the cheap labor for recycling.
Probably someone somewhere didn't even know what it contained.
Then again there might be some need that knew how to recover data, oh my what did I find.
Well say hello to your new daddy .
I usually tear it down as far as I can, all the guts come out,the main aluminum frame gets all the stickers and any non aluminum stuff taken off,goes in a box,the cover is sometimes alum and sometimes not,a magnet takes care of that,if alum goes in a separate box.If not goes in the iron box.The disc or discs go into a box by themselves.I havn,t figured out what to do with them. Any gold plated pin type stuff I can separate without too much trouble goes into a jar of it,s own.I,ve got about 30 lbs.of those,don,t know how to get the gold off the pins without Nitric Acid. The PCB goes to the e waste guy after I get any thing I can use off. There,s a dab of copper in there but really difficult to get to. Not really worth fooling with. As above, I keep the magnets. Don,t have a market for them,but they don,t take up much room.

Reactions: ARC

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnets out of mainframes were awesome.
I did the recycling for Mastercard, through a electrical company.
When they switched computers and backup power supply it was really something. 26 computers the size of a single door fridge, to a single computer the size of a midsized deep freeze.
3 train locomotive engines for the back up power to a single propane generator.(the 3 went to power up a huge greenhouse operation)
I filled 5 40 yrd bins with wire.
Now there was a secure building. Bullet proof glass 2" thick for the control room, when I entered in to a 3 sided turn style, then it locked mid way till I was approved, then I could proceed. I felt weird as there would be no getting out if they decided that they would be arse and keep a person midway through.
Now that,s E-Waste!!!!!!!!!
:laughing7:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never figured out how to take them apart, but i did figure out how to put a hurtin' on the
inside with a screwdriver, a hammer and gasoline
one I buried in the yard somewhere after 2 others ended up in my burn barrel and eventually
used as clean fill to help fill in old stripping pits by land owners when they emptied my Barrel.
Maybe a Million Years from now someone Panning gold may find some if any existed in them
When you take out all the screws in the cover and the damn thing still won,t come off,look under the label,there,s always at least one under there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didn't see any screws on them, not that i looked hard.
just rivets if i remember which i don't :tongue3:or maybe new fangled star screws or something

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for all you "naysayers" about tearing apart a drive to get magnets...

All i can say is... I use those magnets for everything.... from holding things to fridge to the bottom of my MD scoops... to testing metals. (they dont lie)

They are simply the best "free" magnets around... they have ten+ times pull of any type their size.

They are worth the tear down... believe me.

In Windows 3.1 day drives... the magnets were massive and if you got 2 together you will play hell to get them apart.

And careful with those finger tips lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: I was never aware there was anything in a Hard drive.
Only thing recently I saw a you tube mention of gold.

I found the disc inside to be practically indestructible , took allot of work from the outside
to dig through and warp one so it would never spin properly again. which is all I wanted to do.
make it a Pain in the Arse for someone Curious like me, who if equipt to Snoop may out of boredom:coffee2: even though the odds of someone stealing my identity :tongue3: would be laughable

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for all you "naysayers" about tearing apart a drive to get magnets...

All i can say is... I use those magnets for everything.... from holding things to fridge to the bottom of my MD scoops... to testing metals. (they dont lie)

They are simply the best "free" magnets around... they have ten+ times pull of any type their size.

They are worth the tear down... believe me.

In Windows 3.1 day drives... the magnets were massive and if you got 2 together you will play hell to get them apart.

And careful with those finger tips lol
I keep all the magnets,got 20-25 lbs. of them.like you I use them for lots of stuff.And I know about the fingertips too!:laughing7: Takes me about 20 minutes or so to completely tear down into all the constituent parts.I guess I,ve got about 200 lbs.of aluminum just in the hard drive cases alone.

Reactions: ARC

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my dad used to tell me about money and making purchases with money! He said whatever you buy make sure you can physically hold it in your hands. When is comes to money make extra measures that you can actually hold greenbacks, gold, or silver in your hands, because a check is a piece of paper with numbers on it and it can get destroyed in a washing machine, getting wet, lost because it can look like other paper and in reality a paper check is worthless!

I can pretty much imagine what my dad would say about this if he were alive today but I have a very good idea! "You don't have $350,000,000 unless it's in greenbacks, gold, or silver you can physically hold it in your hands!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread