What's new

Opaque Point

CarsonRReese

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2017
Messages
22
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
Location
Denver, indiana
Detector(s) used
Cat 305.5e2 excavator
Primary Interest:
Other
I just couldn't help myself from going and walking between corn rows this evening in one of my best spots. I found this piece in a good washout. By far the most opaque one I have ever found. Any thoughts on the type I would love to hear. North Central Indiana.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170618_213337.webp
    IMG_20170618_213337.webp
    904.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20170618_215052.webp
    IMG_20170618_215052.webp
    854.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20170618_215106.webp
    IMG_20170618_215106.webp
    763.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20170618_215124.webp
    IMG_20170618_215124.webp
    537.1 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Is the tail chipped of or just that way ? still a nice one.
 
That looks like a great little Snyder point.

Occasionally there are agates in the glacial till deposits in Marshall & St Joe counties, probably drug down from Lake Superior area, or it could be high grade Flint Ridge from Ohio.
 
Very nice, but don't you mean translucent?
 
Moss Agate, one of the best materials in our region, and a nice Snyders (Hopewell) as well!
 
Yea translucent almost transparent lol
 
Yes translucent. Not Opaque....Apparently I need to spend more time reading a dictionary than hunting for artifacts :dontknow: Thanks for all the information! Gives me a place to start researching!
 
It would be interesting if it was indeed a Hopewell point as we are in an area that I don't believe they roamed much and according to this map they were not in my area. ( I am in the north central Indiana section that is not covered in this maphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopewell_tradition#/media/File:Hopewell_Exchange_Network_HRoe_2010.jpg
 
And yes the base is chipped on the one side. The pictures don't really show but it is 2" Long and about 1 3/4" wide.
 
Wow that is a really nice find ! Love it!

What is the dark spot? just part of the stone>? So cool....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom