Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
I would say, for your intended use, that an old Dacor or Apollo scooter would be ideal. I just put a new battery in one and used it to dig for meg teeth in NC. I know guys that have used them for over a decade of digging on wrecks. You can pick one up fairly cheap if you have some patience. I sold my first one at a scuba flea market years ago and have regretted it ever since.

OP
OP
TheRingFinder

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say, for your intended use, that an old Dacor or Apollo scooter would be ideal. I just put a new battery in one and used it to dig for meg teeth in NC. I know guys that have used them for over a decade of digging on wrecks. You can pick one up fairly cheap if you have some patience. I sold my first one at a scuba flea market years ago and have regretted it ever since.
Thanks Whitt - So I take it, the Dacor and or Apollo are not being manufactured anymore? I couldn't find a lot of information on-line regarding them. A buddy and I both bought Seadoo Sea scooters and they failed within the first year of use - and I mean permanently failed. One thing that scares me about the Dacor/Apollo - it looks exactly the same as the Sea-doo.

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Maybe the Apollo, not sure, but way too expensive new. Like I said, find a used one and buy a new battery for it.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I build DPV's using 30lb thrust trolling motors.And 8 inch PVC schedule 40 pipe.And i use water proof toggle switches.If you want more power get a trolling motor with more thrust.Mini kota makes one with 100lbs thrust.If you want to use the trolling motors in really deep water you can fill the motors with mineral oil or some other lightweight oil.Without the oil they are pretty much good down to 60 feet.I have never had one flood.I also have 2 tekna DPV's and never had a problem with them flooding or the glass reed switches going bad.

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
The best DPV that I have used so far, performance, battery life and thrust. I would go with Silent Submersibles, they make some of the best DPV's available!! Hands down, trust me its worth the money 100 times over!!

TwistedElvis

Aug 4, 2014
Sunny San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minilab CTX 3030 / Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a Torpedo 3500 DPV for about 10 years now and it works great for me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread