Opinions on the F75 Please

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I agree with you that if you are having that much trouble I would be highly pissed too. I would think that they would just change out the machine for you. I also would never berate anyone who expresses their opinion on something that they own and are having difficulties. I just hope mine keeps working. If not it will go back as many times as it takes to get it right. I wonder if they realize that they are losing a lot of business on the F-75 or do you think they are just saying the hell with it and selling the other brands? My last fisher was a CZ7a pro and a 1280x which are still going strong but I am basically a explorer guy and just thought I would give the F-75 a try.
I wish you all the luck and please keep us posted on your results

Icandigit

Aug 1, 2006
Plymouth,NE
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all honesty I'm tired of fighting with them. It would be different if they found nothing wrong but they always do. I have a strong electronics background and they seemed baffled when I started pointing out "it is better to figure out problems then to just change parts." I have had it with them and will just have to consider is unit was a waste of my money. I'm glad you got a good one and hope it continues but all the excuses you read for this machine are pretty weak. I think the prime example of where they are heading is with Bounty Hunter. How many old time dealers still carry the machine? Not many because they can't compete with the internet and the Super Centers. It is now a mass marketed machine and most places that sell them have never heard of service. I was always told how great the Fisher machines were but I always used Whites or the old Teknetics. I will probably go back to Whites as I have never even had to have any service done on one. As for Fisher all I have gotten from them is excuses and the excuse of bad solder joints today is just a common way to say poor workmanship because the boards are not built by hand. I'm glad you like your machine but I sure don't want anyone to go through what I have been through with Fisher, that is why I don't know how to get rid of this thing without hurting someone else. Goodbye $934.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I removed my post above because I made reference to maybe buying a 75 but this afternoon decided to go with the Minelab GT.

Most reports I've heard on the 75 have been favorable but one type had me very concerned. I've read too many postings about poor customer service from Fisher today.

If there's poor service after the buy it really doesn't matter how good the machine is in the 1st place (in my thinking).

I know Tesoro, Nautilus, and Minelab (I once owned the Excal). These companies stand 100% behind their products and that means a lot to me.

I may still buy a 75 someday but for now I'll take the wait and see stance.

Badger

Icandigit

Aug 1, 2006
Plymouth,NE
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never set out to bash any product unless I have a problem. I think these boards are the only place that you can let someone else know honestly the good as well as the bad. The reviews are usually done in a hurried manner by a dealer and magazines are not going to loose advertising dollars. Honest word of mouth still works the best. I have a ton of emails from people that have had the same problems that I have and it is split about 50/50, some resolved and some not. Hopefully I will be able to find a dealer that still gives service after the sale because the big guys I got this one from don't. I hear all this good stuff about Minelab machines so hope you are happy. Good luck and go dig some silver.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Man; "Good sakes alive!"
After reading through some of the reviews for the F-75 I, for one am baffled by all the negatism. Yes, I own an F-75 and yes, mine is for sale. But, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality or performance of the lastest and last "FISHER" machine. Owning and using Minelab's SE is good enough for me at present because of the options that are availible and the top notch quality of the machine. The F-75, although an excellent detector IMO lacks any options at this time to my knowledge. I just can't do without SunRay's X-1 and won't.

I will say one thing negative and I've said it before; I don't like how Fisher opted to design the battery (ies) insertion but it works. I haven't had a single problem with my detector at all. In fact I took it out on a trip to Walsengburg yesterday just to make sure everything was as it should be. I had not used my F-75 since the first of August and all was well.

I wish all good days digging!
GRB

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a user of Fisher detectors for many years now. I have always been impressed with the ease of use and the CUSTOMER SERVICE. Unfortunately their customer service department has taken a nosedive and when I am done with this CZ3D I will give other brands a try...Steve

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
So far I've found it to be a decent detector. It's display resets fast and its been good in the iron. The small coil works great in the trash. It does go deep. I have compared it to my Explorer 2 by taking both machines in the field together. It has not detected anything the Explorer can't and visa versa. I don't care for the quality of the F-75 at all, not for the price they are asking for it. The electronics are great and the coil seems to be made ok. They need to improve the battery compartment as far as the springs go. Also, they need to put a sturdier handle on it and a more quality foam grip on the handle.

John S

Dec 5, 2005
I have had my f75 on 13 hunts most using the small coil. Got 1 gold ring, 5 silver coin , 9 tokens, and about 110.00 in clad. The f75 is very fast and does work good in the trash.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am puzzled, I bought the Fisher f-75 6 months ago and was told the only coil available is the standard 11".....I went on line and could not find a smaller coil....what size coil are you using and who makes it where can I get it.....Inquiring minds need to know.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
It is a 3 x 6 concentric and it just came out a couple of weeks ago and it is a Fisher coil. Any dealer should be able to get you one BTW they come with the lower shaft @ around $150.00

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I was out of touch... thanks will put this knowledge to use

R

robert roy

Fisher Lab's F-75
By Andy Sabisch

From page 11 of the October issue of Lost Treasure magazine.
Copyright © 2007, 2007 Lost Treasure, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fisher Research’s F-75
Fisher Research Laboratory is, as their corporate tagline states, “The oldest name in the metal detecting industry,” having been founded by Dr. Gerhard Fisher in 1931. Over the decades, Fisher’s engineers led the industry with many innovations that have stood the test of time and found their way into even other brands of detectors. While the business landscape changed, and the Fisher company was acquired by First Texas in 2006, the Fisher commitment to producing first-rate equipment for the most demanding detectorists has not, and it was with this mission statement that the engineering team of the relocated company set out to develop a new detector that would be of a caliber others would be measured against. The result is the F-75, named to commemorate 75 years of production under the Fisher moniker. Having personally used Fisher detectors for more than three decades, I was looking forward to giving the new F-75 a try.

Features
The F-75 was developed to be a professional-grade detector designed for a wide range of applications, including coinshooting, beach hunting, relic hunting and even gold prospecting. While lead engineers Dave Johnson and John Gardiner worked to “push-the-envelope” in terms of in-field performance, they kept focused on the need to keep the unit’s weight manageable and the adjustments simple enough that a novice could be successful with it straight out of the box.

The effort that went into the design of the F-75 becomes immediately apparent when unpacking it. Its ergonomic shape places the two primary controls within easy reach and the display is large and well laid-out. The weight also is worth noting, in that the total weight – with batteries - is about 3.5 pounds. For someone looking for a high performance detector without the weight, the F-75 is definitely a pack-leader in that respect!

Despite the F-75’s versatility, it is controlled through one pushbutton and one knob on the control housing, a trigger toggle switch above the handgrip, and an ON/OFF/VOLUME knob under the armrest. A common complaint from users of high-end detectors has always been the complexity of making adjustments, often requiring scrolling through layers of options on the menu screen and then trying to remember how to get back to a specific option if additional adjustments are required. Well, the Fisher engineers listened to the end-users and made ease-of-use a priority second only to setting a new standard of performance and sensitivity.

Due to the space limitations of this print-version of the report, I will not go into great detail on each of the F-75’s features, but more detail is available in the report on-line at Lost Treasure’s website (www.losttreasure.com).

The F-75 operates at 13 kHz which was selected based on the combination of detection depth, target ID accuracy, and sensitivity to the type of targets today’s treasure hunter typically searches for. There are three separate search modes combined with an all-metal, non-motion pinpoint circuit which provides users with an option to handle virtually any application or condition. The search modes are Static All-Metal, Motion All-Metal and Motion Discrimination. Each of these search modes offer different functions which can be adjusted using the push-button and knob on the face of the control housing. In the Discrimination mode, the options include Sensitivity, Discrimination & Notch Levels, Tones (type of audio response produced for specific targets), and Processes (how the F-75 processes target signals and produces audio signals). In the All-Metal modes, the options include Threshold, Audio Pitch, Sensitivity, and Manual Ground Balance. To make an adjustment to any of these options, simply press the MENU pushbutton until the option you want to adjust is highlighted and use the knob to make the desired change. A nice feature of the F-75’s menuing system is that it will remember the last option you adjusted, so if you are trying to “fine-tune” one, when you press the MENU pushbutton, it will immediately go back to the option you had been adjusting, rather than starting at the top of the menu screen.

The toggle switch serves a dual function. When pulled back, it switches the detector into a non-motion, all-metal pinpoint mode and changes the display to indicate target depth in inches. Pushing the toggle switch forwards activates the automatic ground balance circuit, which is described below.

Proper ground balance is essential on any detector in order to achieve maximum detection depth and target ID accuracy; however, on many detectors, finding the proper setting can be somewhat of a challenge and many detectorists tend to avoid machines that offer manual ground balancing for that reason. The F-75 offers two methods of ground balancing – fully automatic (called FASTGRAB) and, if needed, a full-range manual mode. Another key aspect of the F-75 is that the ground balance adjustments apply to both All-Metal and the Discriminate search modes, so maximum performance is obtained in virtually any ground and in any search mode. To use the FASTGRAB option, simply push the toggle forward and pump the coil up and down a few times until a consistent value is displayed on the screen. When the circuitry has selected a ground-balance setting, the numeric value displayed on the LCD screen will provide information on the type of ground mineralization present. The on-line report contains some tips on how this can be used to survey a site. In severe ground, such as black sand beaches or alkali ground, manual ground balancing may be required, but even that process is easier than on many other detectors.

The LCD screen provides a wealth of information. In the center is a large numerical value that corresponds to either the target’s ID - ranging from “0” (iron) to “100” (silver) when in one of the three search modes, or depth when the Pinpoint mode has been selected. Along the top of the screen are segments that provide the probable ID of detected targets and they will correspond to the target ID values displayed on the screen. A point worth noting is that Target ID information is provided in all three search modes which greatly enhances the ability of relic hunters and prospectors to pull “keepers” from areas that might otherwise be too frustrating to hunt with a straight all-metal detector. A 3-segment depth indicator is located on the far left side of the screen and, while not as accurate as the depth reading in Pinpoint, it does provide a relative indication of target depth when in one of the search modes. Another unique feature of the F-75 is the Target Confidence Indicator, which lets you know how sure the detector is of the target’s ID which can help increase the number of good targets you recover.

The F-75 also displays a relative value of magnetite or magnetic mineralization present which can adversely affect target ID accuracy. Having this piece of information allows you to better interpret what the F-75 is telling you as ground conditions change. A final comment on the display screen is that it is backlit using an always-on low-drain LED, so the F-75 can be used in low or no-light conditions – a real plus for hunting beaches or similar sites when the temperatures drop or the crowds have left.

Target ID is provided through both audio and visual indications. In the Discrimination mode, there are eight different options available that determine the audio response of the F-75 to various targets, as well as four “processes” that further define how the F-75 responds to specific objects based on their content or surrounding ground conditions. This flexibility allows the F-75 to be adjusted to fit your personal preferences as well as different conditions you might come across in the field, such as certain types of trash you wish to eliminate or particular targets you wish to pick out from dozens of others.

Two other features worth mentioning are the frequency shifter and Notch Discrimination. If electrical interference from power lines or other detectors causes erratic operation, one of seven slightly different frequencies can be selected through the use of the trigger and Menu touchpad. The F-75’s Notch Discrimination circuit is useful when you want to reject a specific type of target when running at a low discrimination level, or if you want to accept a specific type target when running at a high-level of discrimination. Both of these options are well covered in the manual and simply expand on the F-75’s versatility under a wide range of conditions and applications.

The F-75’s search coil is an 11”x7” Double-D which, surprisingly, is an excellent all-purpose coil. Being a Double-D, it covers a full 11” swath with each sweep, yet is sensitive enough to detect even tiny targets such as gold nuggets, small relics or jewelry at impressive depths.

The F-75 is powered by only four AA batteries in the battery compartment beneath the arm cuff and, considering the performance and features it offers, its battery life is quite surprising – 35 hours on alkalines! Battery strength is always displayed on the LCD screen. A ½” stereo headphone jack is conveniently located at the rear of the armrest.

Field Test
With higher-end detectors, I tend not to take time when conducting a field test to search areas where the majority of targets are recently lost, as it does not provide a true test of the detector’s capabilities. If possible, I try to search sites that have been well hunted, where targets are known to be deep, or where concentrations of trash give any detector a real workout.

The first site was one that dated back to the Revolutionary War and has been hunted by many detectorists for the past 30 years. Opting to use the motion All-Metal search mode for maximum detection depth, and to avoid any possible target masking that can occur when using higher discrimination levels, I quickly switched to the All-Metal mode and ground balanced the F-75 using the FASTGRAB circuit. Targets were more plentiful than I had expected based on the number of hunters that had preceded me, and I spent a good deal of my time at the site on my knees digging, which is always a good sign. Virtually every target was 6” or deeper, and even those that approached double-digits in depth produced clear signals (although the target ID accuracy and confidence did drop-off as one would expect). One V-nickel, two Indian Head cents, several smaller brass artifacts and a bridle bit were uncovered from just a small portion of this multi-acre site.

The next site was a field that had seen church picnics and other activities for more than 100 years. As the ground in the open areas was fairly dry from lack of rain, I focused on the portion covered by trees. Selecting the Discrimination mode, I started with the it set at preset (10), which left the circuit in the non- high gain mode. Based on the potential of finding an Indian Head, I selected the 4H Tone option. Bumping the Sensitivity up to “75” and ground balancing the F-75 using the FASTGRAB circuit, I started searching.

The first few signals were clearly trash, based on the erratic target ID values and the low confidence factor displayed and turned out to be just that. Approaching a large tree, a solid “72” appeared, accompanied by a consistent audio response and four bars on the Confidence scale. The Medium depth bar was illuminated and this was confirmed when 7” was displayed in the Pinpoint mode. Removing a deep plug, I saw the unmistakable glint of silver in the bottom of the plug...a 1906 Barber dime that had been at a 45-degree angle at close to 7” came to light! Over the next two hours I recovered 19 more coins from similar depths that included five Wheat cents, two Mercury dimes and a silver quarter that lost a battle with a lawnmower years ago (and was now a half-quarter). In one section, older rusted bottle caps caused some frustration; however, switching to the BC or bottle cap process mode, which makes the F-75 produce an audio signal that distinguishes bottle caps from targets that register in the same area, quickly solved that problem and allowed me to pull a few “keepers” from an area I would otherwise have given up on. Additional field test results are available in the on-line version of this report.

Summary
The F-75 most assuredly sets a new standard in terms of performance, versatility and ease of use that will stand for some time. Despite the wide range of adjustments possible, the F-75 is quite simple to set-up and can handle virtually any application and environment it might be used in. Despite only being available for a few months, a number of impressive finds have been reported from users worldwide. There are a few “quirks” with the F-75 that require some tweaking that is not really covered in the current manual, such as deactivating the high-gain circuit to reduce electrical interference, and using positive ground balance to reduce ground “chatter.” However, your local dealer can explain those techniques to you first-hand and, hopefully, this information will be incorporated into future revisions of the manual.

The F-75 lists for $1,095 and comes with a 5-year warranty. Factory options include control housing and battery compartment weather covers, a coil cover and a hand-held pinpointer probe. For more information about the F-75, the company behind the detector, or to find a local dealer, contact the factory at (915) 225-0333 or visit their website at http://www.FisherLab.com, and be sure to mention you read about the new F-75 in Lost Treasure Magazine!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,165

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Man; "Good sakes alive!"
After reading through some of the reviews for the F-75 I, for one am baffled by all the negatism. Yes, I own an F-75 and yes, mine is for sale. But, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality or performance of the lastest and last "FISHER" machine.

I've noticed this a lot. Most say it's a great machine, but for one reason or another, they want to sell it.

Badger

R

robert roy

I think it's because it doesn't really preform as well as they had expected.
Too many issues I guess. I know that from what I have read from the old timers, it's not a machine I would want to invest ineither. There probably are some good things about it, but not as great on depth as was expected. People who have the F75 and the X-70 say the x-70 dances circles around the F75. Still, they are comapring apples to oranges. The x-70 is a different machine with a high end technology.

No, I would not buy the F75 either. I don't think Fisher will ever get to the level of Garrett, Tesoro,Whites
or MineLab, not that fisher doesn't have some nice machines.....they just seem to be ISSUE prone. BUT I am not an expert so it's just my opinion. You can guess what THAT's worth! ::)

Regards
Robert R

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to try that X-70. I hear so many good things about it.

To me, Fisher hobby detectors have always been the machines that never quite made it. They made some very deep and good detectors but it seems like they all had issues. They were either too heavy, had poor balance, or the quality of the workmanship was not as great as it could have been. And in more recent times, the warranty shortcomings.

I could be wrong but I think they're on the road to extinction.

Badger

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just hope I get good use of it, before they go extinct... I do have a Whites, just thought I'd try Fisher...have always been a White's and Garrett man.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Michigan Badger said:
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Man; "Good sakes alive!"
After reading through some of the reviews for the F-75 I, for one am baffled by all the negatism. Yes, I own an F-75 and yes, mine is for sale. But, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality or performance of the lastest and last "FISHER" machine.

I've noticed this a lot. Most say it's a great machine, but for one reason or another, they want to sell it.

Badger

I have 2 of them and I don't want to sell either one. In most cases they are out hunting my EX2's They are a very sensitive machine and it takes some time to get used to how they operate. Set up properly and GB they are just as deep as the Minelab and in some cases deeper.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pity there seem to be so many dissatisfied owners. I like mine and it's not for sale.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Pity there seem to be so many dissatisfied owners. I like mine and it's not for sale.
Look at the bright side-all the more goodies left in the ground for us to find. It is truly an amazing machine -once learned

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread