Opinions on the F75 Please

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Well, all reports on the T2 were decent. Good depth, etc etc. It is supposedly the relic hunters choice of detectors. The F75, which is an upgraded T2 has some features incorporated that the T2 didn't have, such as saving settings when the power is turned off.

Here is the link to findmall.com's F75 classroom page, its got some good info from the designers and users of the machince. http://www.findmall.com/list.php?35

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Here is a post by Andy,NM on the above mentioned forum

"I have a german homepage where i rate detectors by my own rating system.
People seem just to talk about depth, but that isn't the only strength a detector can have.

My 100 points system (10 max. for each category):

1. Features
2. Depth and stability
3. Discrimination und Notchsystem
4. Ease of use
5. Types of hunting that can be done with the detector
6. Weight and balance
7. Powerconsumption and operating costs
8. Build Quality
9. Warranty
10. Price and value

Now let me rate the F75:

1.Features:
Notch system, backlight, VDI display, Fastgrab GB, Magnetic Mineralization Bar Graph Read Out, Batterie meter, Depth on the fly meter, different Tone ids , True all metal mode, Processing modes, Confidence meter, Pinpoint, 11"DD coil.

It has not as much feature as the DFX or Explorer but it has enough.

I would rate it 8 points.

2. Depth and stability

You guys know my tests on the US nickel. For a single frequency detector depth is a 10 and stability is 10 too. Now some may say why 10 points on stability since the F75 gets unstable some times ? I see that this way. If you would the F75 set up to do as good as other single frequncy detector is would be as stable as any other detector. Just if you push it to depth other detectors can't reach anymore it can become unstable.

Points 10 here.

3. Disc and notch a 10 too. Once you understand the notch it is very easy to use and can be reversed. The disc works very well too, disc out large steel is not a problem.

Points 10.

4. ease of use.

The menu system for a detector with all these features is very easy to use and see. If you have owned an explorer or DFX you know what a 5 points detector is. This is a 10.

Points 10.

5. Types of hunting that can be done with the detector

Relic, coins, gold prospecting and due to the DD coil saltwater beaches well too for a single frequency detector. I have not rated a detector 10 points since no detector can do it all perfect. I rate this one 9 points because it can do most (Relics, Coins) very well and other things well (Gold Prospecting, Beaches).

9 points.

6. Weight and balance
I don't no any other detector with display that is so light-weight and well balanced.

10 points.

7. Powerconsumption and operating costs

Using 4 AA bateries is the future, because you can buy a charger that drops operating costs so low, that you really make mony detecting and not spend the found change to buy batteries. A runtime of over 30 hours with 4 AAs is the best.

10 points.

8. Build Quality

An aluminum control box would push it to 10 but i'll rate it a 9 the way it is now.

9 points

9. Warranty

Not lifetime, not only two years, it's five years.

8 points

10. Price and value

It is expensive but for some worth 940 $ internet price. After all the detectors i have bought and what they did for the money i would put this one in the $ 750 range. At that price it would sell like hotcakes because it would beat all is that pricerange. On the other hand i have the money to buy a over $ 1000 Explorer or DFX but i use the F75 as my number one right now. I just like the power on low conductors, the speed and the lack of weight.

8 Points.

Total points: 92 points

That is the highest total rating I gave to a detector to this day.

Next is the X-terra 70 with 86 points. (ease of use and warranty (just two years) cuts down on the points compared to the F75)

HH,
Andy,NM

For Fisher : We need a small coil (5" DD ? ) !!!

Andy,NM"

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I've been out a couple times with one. I have no definitive answers but I have to say that this detector is very fast at recovery speed and goes very deep. The overall performance is excellent. There are things that I haven't done with it yet and the eather here in CT doesn't seem to want to let me go out at all :'( but I will be getting out more soon. I like the fact that I can start up where I left off with the settings being saved. this is a big plus over the T2. The detector is very well balanced and is comfortable to use for long periods of time. A recent discovery about the F75 gets you more depth by rasing the disc above 20. Almost 2 more inches can be had.
All in all ( so far ) this detector appears to be as advertised and worth the money. The more I ( and others ) get out with it the better all opinions will be.

Tom E IL

Greenie
Feb 1, 2005
Manito IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Gold, Ace 250, CZ3D, F75
I don't think some people are telling the truth about the F75, there have been complants about chatry,pops and very unstable. The one I have does nothing but make noise,burbs, pop, and will drive you nuts no matter what you set it at. When these problems came up on ^%$$*$ Forum nobody wants to talk about it. If you look at the tester for the F75 or any unit from Fisher they are relic hunts. I don't think the F75 was ever test in a park for coin shooting.I love my Coinstike and 3D. If I had to pick a unit to take out, the F75 would stay at home, my Ace 250 I think is better then the F75. They will be some people that will bash me for this, I say oh well, lets talk about how the F75 act, its like snap, crackle and pop in you head phone.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom's got a valid beef and should be taken seriously. I'm saving up to buy a F75 and I'be be spitting fire if I'd sunk $935 into a completely unusable detector. And since no one would throw that kind of cash into a tool and not read the manual carefully cover to cover a couple times we know he's familiar with pages 29 and 31 describing how to react to outside signals and has tried reducing the two sensitivity settings and careful ground balancing outdoors and away from all motors, appliances, light sources and RF devices. And he's sure he's not sweeping over metal targets in the spot he's chosen to ground balance the unit. Goes without saying.

We can also assume he's tried all seven frequencies as suggested on page 23 to see if that helps.

Doubtless he's also switched to all four pre-set masks an even all=metal to troubleshoot this problem. I certainly would. And he's tried silent search and threshold to no avail. I'd be hopping mad by now.

I'd be on the phone post haste with Fisher or at least my dealer to have the unit checked. For two years until the warranty ran out I'd be in their ears and hair like gnats on a moose.

Bigfoot Okie

Jan 20, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Great response Charlie P. Well thought out. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to use an F75 for about 3 hours last week and it can be a little wild. I quickly learned that the 75 can be adjusted to much lower settings than the default to achieve stability and still get good depth. The area I worked was near an industrial complex and was 500 ft from a tower that had 4 cellular antennas. There was also a Doppler Radar 1000 ft away. I was able to make adjustments that compensated for the interference I encountered.
I have studied the owners manual and hundreds of posts on various forums since the 75 came out and I have seen many that had stability issues. Almost all problems were resolved with the help of the other users and a little patience testing with the numerous options the machine has to offer.
I will definitely have a 75 in my arsenal as soon as the next batch rolls off the assembly line.
I'm not saying Tom does not have a bad machine because it is possible. I am just saying the 75 is a very high powered unit that can be tamed down in most locations.

Jim (TH)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Tom also supposedly owns an Explorer II and hates it also. Just like Treasure-hunter said, its possible he got a bad machine, but more than likely its other things causing the problem. Findmall.com has an F75 class page that has some good info on problems, settings and adjustments.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read on another forum (FM) that you should entirely turn off your cell-phone, not use a "always on" pinpointer and not carry a relic shovel in a low hand carry (sling it instead).

I noticed the relic shovel "problem" with my Musky. My shovel is all metal and the detector was picking it up on the sweep towards my left side!

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be noisy if you don't have it adjusted correctly in the mode your searching! I think of it as a New Breed of detector that is actually several detectors rolled
into one, and each search mode and the various adjustments requires some time spent with the detector to actually know what is going on. I usually end up re-reading the manual after using it and will gain more understanding and insight the more I read it and spend time with the detector in the field. It's not like my Old Compass Scanner or Mark-1 or even my XL Pro,which are actually easier to adjust. I think the new F75 will require some good old investigating and time well spent in the field to realize what it is telling you.I have yet to really put the time involved into it as to understand just a portion of it's technology,( Work ,Work ,Work) but I'm willing to take the time even it's just a hour or two each time out. I do know when I did and indoor sensitivity test that setting the sensitivity below 30 made the detector more erratic than when it was set a 70 for instance. I beleive a notepad or voice recorder will come in handy to take notes in the field for later thought in the matter,on the subject of settings in the different modes and where the ground was balancing at as well as what the Mineral bar graph was indicating. The F75 has all the right tools,..... I beleive we just need the time and patience to discover and learn the various combinations that work in each particular Search Mode as well as the different area's that we hunt.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
well i dont know about the F75 but i know about Fisher's Coustomer service or lack of it i should say.i just had a real battle with Fisher over a $7 part.if anyone would like to read the email iv been having with them just email or pm me and id be glad to share it with you.it just might make you think again on buying a Fisher!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Dixie Digger said:
well i dont know about the F75 but i know about Fisher's Coustomer service or lack of it i should say.i just had a real battle with Fisher over a $7 part.if anyone would like to read the email iv been having with them just email or pm me and id be glad to share it with you.it just might make you think again on buying a Fisher!

Thats very interesting, because Bounty Hunter just sent me a $30 part for free, no questions asked. Didn't even ask if the detector was still under warranty, just took my info and three days later it was at my door.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Dixie Digger said:

They were going to repair it for free, you simply had to mail the detector in. Yes, shipping would have cost more but that is your problem, not theirs. I don't see anything wrong with this, because there could be more wrong with the detector than you know, it could be a tricky repair that someone could screw up, etc etc. They want to make sure that everything is working properly and that someone doesn't take a simple problem and make it a big problem.
Plus you flew off the handle after only one email. This is your response after ONE email response to you:
do you mean to tell me id have to send the whole detector in for a part that fit in an envelope? i sent it to 200 w Wilmott Rd Los Banos CA..along with the warranty card.iv been useing Fisher's for over 35 years and own 3 of them as we speek.iv bought 4 from Southern Treasures (Brian). but i can tell you this will be my last Fisher and i will be sure to let everyone on the 5 MD forums i belong to know just what your coustomer service is like.this sure is a poor way to start a old/new company...over a $3 part..thank you very much and have a nice day!

Do you think you could have approached that differently?

I will give you a secret to all of life my friend, call. Pick up the phone and call. Emails don't work for anything, but an actual person will bend with the wind.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i would agree with you if it was a hard fix,but the plate is held on by 2 screws and a bolt! and as you see if i had mailed it in,it wouldnt have gotten there as the warranty card has a bogus address and who knows where it would have ended up and for how long.i think the better fix was to mail the part to me ,save both of us shipping cost of a detector and all would have been well.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Dixie Digger said:
i would agree with you if it was a hard fix,but the plate is held on by 2 screws and a bolt! and as you see if i had mailed it in,it wouldnt have gotten there as the warranty card has a bogus address and who knows where it would have ended up and for how long.i think the better fix was to mail the part to me ,save both of us shipping cost of a detector and all would have been well.

I agree with you Dixie, it would be cheaper for both parties to just send the part, but they also have to CTA in just about anything. Sounds like reading over the email responses again, if it was out of warranty they would just mail the part. With it being in warranty they would probably calibrate it and make sure its all nice and shiny, you know what I mean?

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
did you miss the part that it is NEW only 30 days old? it works fine and I'm quite happy with it as i have been with about 12 Fishers iv owned.its the Customer Service i have a problem with.i just think they could have handled this better.the cost of the part is nothing to me,its the time spent to ship the detector and loss of time i could have been using it hip mount while they ship the part (that is under warranty). and as it turned out its a good thing i didn't just ship it off as it would have went to an addy they don't use anylonger even though thats the addy given to ship it to on the warranty card. all is ok,i will just be a bit more selective on the next detector purchase.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
MindHunter said:
I don't believe you will have any issues at all about shipping it to another address other than the one one the Warranty card....

People Move.... As long as you give them an address to where you want to receive it after repairs ... It's All Good..
my return addy is not the problem!!!! its the Company Addy where to ship for repairs! the warranty card said to ship it to " 3%$65$#5" but that addy was no longer in use by them, as i did send in the part along with the warranty card and they never got eather one and told me they no longer use that addy..you must remember ,those warranty cards might be in a detector box on a shelf for 2 years before it gets sold and by then they might have moved.they had been there for 25 years i think until 1st Texas took over.so iv learned to always call ahead before you send anything card or detector!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's called and "RMA" - Return Materials Authorization - or something near that. Always contact any company before just shipping a box. I always call first to make sure the address is correct.

You pay to ship it to whoever, whoever pays to ship it back. Unless it's a real mess up that's the norm. If it is a real mess up on the manufacturer's part you will occasionally get reimbursed for the freight to whoever. Until they can examine the flaw there is no implied fault on the manufacturer's part. My own company DEFINATELY wants the problem back so any problems in the field can be analyzed and corrected in the event it might be a design or material flaw.

And you never know if in sending the repair part to a customer that he/she has the capacity to install it correctly. "I sawed the unit open and installed the part you sent, The dry wall screws I used split the case and the duct tape is not holding it together well. Your part stinks."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread