Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings all,
I obtained this along with a collection of coins and jewelery I purchased recently.
The packaging reminds me of overpriced coins and plated commem tokens sold on late night tv.
I cannot find any auction listings for this stamp in the packaging from the Postal Commemorative Society, now known as PCS, but I find that they are a respected organization.
If members would be so kind as to advise me whether this example is worthy of grading and encapsulation it would be much appreciated.
opinions on approximate value and grade would also be appreciated.
The rubs on front and hinge on back are my main concern, would like to know aboutother things to look out for when examining and evaluating stamps.
Thanks for looking, Herbie.

Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (1)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (2)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (3)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (4)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (5)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (6)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (7)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (9)001.jpg Stamp Western Cattle 1898 (11)001.jpg

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a genuine #292 with good centering, the 2 scrapes you mention might be material stuck on top of the stamp, could also be damage from being stuck to another stamp and pulled apart which may have removed the design in this area, there is also a third similar spot in the geometric design to the right of bull just above the corn. A short perf on top right. Brown stains on the top left, and above the bull's head. 2 hinge remnants on the back along with disturbed gum, the top hinge may be covering a thin in the paper, kind of looks that way but can't be sure. Just what I can see from the pics without actually examining it.
As for having it expertized, depends on what you have invested in the stamp and who is doing the expertizing, could run you $25 - $100. My ballpark on value, as it sits right now - depending on if thinned beneath the top hinge remnant - quick sale at a low of $350 or to a collector who likes the stamp at $600 as a high. If thinned - $200 - $300.
I would carefully consider encapsulation as it has fallen from collector favor over the past few years, so another decision to make.
Just my opinion, which may not mean anything. Good luck!

A rare stamp, but with several small issues, which are pretty much the norm for a nearly 120 year old stamp. Be aware that most mints from this era are hinged.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Your original $1 stamp appears to have an inverted black bull. Don't know what the value would be, but most invested errors are worth MUCH more.

The unconcealed $1 Western Cattle In A Storm are worth $2,000, according to this Mystic Stamp Company source:

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/.../USA/

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your original $1 stamp appears to have an inverted black bull. Don't know what the value would be, but most invested errors are worth MUCH more.

The unconcealed $1 Western Cattle In A Storm are worth $2,000, according to this Mystic Stamp Company source:

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/.../USA/

The inverted bull stamp is a modern printed counterfeit to be used as an album space filler and can be purchased on eBay for $2.

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gentlemen, this was just the info I'd hoped for.  <br>   Much appreciated!!   Herbie.<br>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread