What's new

ordering ikes in boxes

thing

Full Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
120
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
I talked to a teller yesterday and they offered to order me a 1000 box of ike dollars. Has anybody tryed to order these coins? Any body have an idea on what my chances are?
 
Upvote 0
never ordered, but have thought about it, post results and how would you dump them?
 
thing said:
I talked to a teller yesterday and they offered to order me a 1000 box of ike dollars. Has anybody tryed to order these coins? Any body have an idea on what my chances are?


Eisenhower dollars were discontinued a long time ago. I didn't know you could order boxes of them still. I would guess they meant the new presidential dollars.

If I could get a box of Ikes I would keep them all and sell some of them on ebay or elsewhere.
 
They are very likely not Ikes.

When available, Ikes are shipped in bags; not boxes.

They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.

I'd pass.
 
It is worth a try you never know what you might get. If indeed they are Ikes there might be some goodies mixed in.

golden silver
 
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ikes.

When available, Ikes are shipped in bags; not boxes.

They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.

I'd pass.

No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large eisenhowers.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and ikes that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.
 
If you can get them, I would go for it. Dumping them will be the issue. Coin counters dont take them and banks hate them. Might want to come up with a plan to get rid of them before you get them. I would bet if you can get a bag, you will find some keepers.
 
They are still spendable currancy. Pay for gas with them or leave them as tips and people get a kick out of them.

golden silver
 
If you can get them, go for it. I tried once and got the new dollars.

Good luck
 
thing said:
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ike's.
When available, Ike's are shipped in bags; not boxes.
They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.
I'd pass.
No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large Eisenhower's.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and Ike's that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

Do not get offended when a long time CRH'r is telling you the facts here. "It Is Highly Unlikely" There is no place on the vault tellers order form that specifically allows them to order Ike's. If they are able to get them they would most likely come in a bag and it would be a special order of sorts. Very uncommon coin these days..

Most tellers call them silver dollars and some call Susan B's Silver dollars. so prepare to be disappointed.... But if we're wrong .... Get as many as you can.....


Mojo
 
I got $ 135 in ikes last week in rolls, hoping to get a old Morgan, Peace or Silver Clad Ike. I had no luck, but I would get more rolls of Ikes if I could, hoping for silver.
 
coinmojo said:
thing said:
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ike's.
When available, Ike's are shipped in bags; not boxes.
They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.
I'd pass.
No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large Eisenhower's.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and Ike's that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

Also, as a tipoff is that they can get you a "box". Ikes will come in a bag. Brinks/Loomis have no capacity to roll Ikes. The only chance that one could get a box of Ikes is if they were customer rolled and repackaged at a Brinks/Loomis facility.

Do not get offended when a long time CRH'r is telling you the facts here. "It Is Highly Unlikely" There is no place on the vault tellers order form that specifically allows them to order Ike's. If they are able to get them they would most likely come in a bag and it would be a special order of sorts. Very uncommon coin these days..

Most tellers call them silver dollars and some call Susan B's Silver dollars. so prepare to be disappointed.... But if we're wrong .... Get as many as you can.....


Mojo
 
Diver_Down said:
coinmojo said:
thing said:
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ike's.
When available, Ike's are shipped in bags; not boxes.
They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.
I'd pass.
No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large Eisenhower's.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and Ike's that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

Also, as a tipoff is that they can get you a "box". Ikes will come in a bag. Brinks/Loomis have no capacity to roll Ikes. The only chance that one could get a box of Ikes is if they were customer rolled and repackaged at a Brinks/Loomis facility.

Do not get offended when a long time CRH'r is telling you the facts here. "It Is Highly Unlikely" There is no place on the vault tellers order form that specifically allows them to order Ike's. If they are able to get them they would most likely come in a bag and it would be a special order of sorts. Very uncommon coin these days..

Most tellers call them silver dollars and some call Susan B's Silver dollars. so prepare to be disappointed.... But if we're wrong .... Get as many as you can.....


Mojo

Well, that quote is FUBAR'd. My response is between Mojo's.
 
A friend of mine was able to get bags of ikes delivered. We went through them together. I think in all we ended up going through 6k in a matter of a few months. Found a Morgan (1904-O) I believe, some clad proofs, some silver ikes and his daughter walked up and said what's that?? It was a Peace Dollar. She was five, and noticed it because of the Eagle on the back!

Never seen the Ikes in boxes, but good luck!
 
If I could order some I would, but haven't been able to find a bank that can. Best I've been able to find is about 100 loose. Good luck, I would order them.
 
thing said:
thurmownator said:
They are very likely not Ikes.

When available, Ikes are shipped in bags; not boxes.

They are probably one of the more recent quarter-sized dollar coins.

I'd pass.

No they are not dollar coins. i specifically asked and they said large eisenhowers.
I want to know if there are enough physical differences between silver dollars and ikes that the coin countersat brinks loomiss etc would reject them.

So what's the deal here? Did you have the bank order them and then realize they were the new co-mingled dollars yet? Or did you get a bag of large dollar coins? Or did you not order?
 
I would go for it :sign13:
 
thing said:
I talked to a teller yesterday and they offered to order me a 1000 box of ike dollars. Has anybody tryed to order these coins? Any body have an idea on what my chances are?
I am just repeating what the others said. Nobody can get boxes of IKES, bags yes but not boxes. Most tellers just do not listen (probably like the rest of the population) There are times I specifically say BIG DOLLARS and actually show one and they pull out those quarter look-alikes.
 
An Ike $1000 box would weigh like 50 pounds or so?

No such thing. Bags can be special ordered sometimes I have heard.

I once went to a bank that I had called and they said they had "hundreds" of dollars worth of halves in rolls in the vault they had for a long time. After I jumped in the car and sped to get there it turned out it was new small dollar coins.

The poor, non-bright teller I spoke to did not know what a "half dollar" was. She thought I meant new dollar coins.

So you cannot always go by what a teller tells you.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom