Original stone map photos.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread started to answer Barber's request to see the original stone maps. These are Travis Marlowe's photos ( Clarence Mitchell ). They are the only known set of original stone map photos to be verified. Marlowe / Mitchell used these photos in his 1965 book, Superstition Treasure.
The photos were taken shortly after he got the stone maps from Travis Tumlinson's widow. He taped over certain things he believed important.

Trail Map with Heart.JPG
Trail Map without Heart.JPG Trail Map 2 DON.JPG Trail Map Cross.JPG Trail Map 2.JPG Horse Stone.JPG Priest Stone.JPG Miguel.JPG

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying the stone maps are authentic and I'm not saying they are fake, I don't know either way and let that up to more knowledgeable people than myself. What I do know is Travis Tumlinson did not carve them for several reasons. Just one of those many reasons is he simply wasn't good enough to have carved them. Nothing else he carved or scratched is anywhere nearly as artistic as the carvings on the stone maps, nor is it anywhere similar in style to anything else he ever carved. I'm still not saying they're authentic or fake. Just did Travis Tumlinson carve them ? No he certainly did not.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not saying the stone maps are authentic and I'm not saying they are fake, I don't know either way and let that up to more knowledgeable people than myself. What I do know is Travis Tumlinson did not carve them for several reasons. Just one of those many reasons is he simply wasn't good enough to have carved them. Nothing else he carved or scratched is anywhere nearly as artistic as the carvings on the stone maps, nor is it anywhere similar in style to anything else he ever carved. I'm still not saying they're authentic or fake. Just did Travis Tumlinson carve them ? No he certainly did not.
matthew...all the carvings you are saying that travis carved (i'm guessing you mean the ones on the chimney)..were done when he was 10 years old...he carved the stone maps many years later when he was a grown man...i'm sure he improved his carving skills as he grew older...travis did carve those maps beyond a shadow of a doubt

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
matthew...all the carvings you are saying that travis carved (i'm guessing you mean the ones on the chimney)..were done when he was 10 years old...he carved the stone maps many years later when he was a grown man...i'm sure he improved his carving skills as he grew older...travis did carve those maps beyond a shadow of a doubt

I don’t know Dave, Matthew I think is a stoner to a point. But as it would be,Travis did not make them. And I got all the names right. Frank Ryan Charlie Davis and WAYNE which is me.

babymick1

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why would a person carve fake maps, then claim he found a stone map in the desert (That is supposed to lead to treasure), then spend the rest of his life trying to understand what the map said, then die without making a penny from the forgery?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Why would a person carve fake maps, then claim he found a stone map in the desert (That is supposed to lead to treasure), then spend the rest of his life trying to understand what the map said, then die without making a penny from the forgery?
travis had a map that he thought would lead him to treasure but it had nothing to do with the stone maps..according to his family he did find a treasure...and as for why he carved the stone maps...there have been many knotheads in the supers that have carved maps on rocks...planted crosses ...carved bogus markers in cactus...destroyed real markers in cactus..they did it to throw other treasure hunters off the trail

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point nobody can really say 100% what is true, and what isn't.. We can only make a logical guess, seeing how so much time has passed since then and who knows who has changed what..

Now I have never really put much stock in the stone maps.. Is it possible they are real, sure it is.. Is it possible to match the stone map to a particular place using google earth, yes it is, but it can be matched to multiple places as well, so that doesn't really help us a bit.. One thing I have always thought is if they are real, I think they would tell the way to a cache and not the mine..

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point nobody can really say 100% what is true, and what isn't.. We can only make a logical guess, seeing how so much time has passed since then and who knows who has changed what..

Now I have never really put much stock in the stone maps.. Is it possible they are real, sure it is.. Is it possible to match the stone map to a particular place using google earth, yes it is, but it can be matched to multiple places as well, so that doesn't really help us a bit.. One thing I have always thought is if they are real, I think they would tell the way to a cache and not the mine..

They are for mines. 2 are almost impossible to get to. Still haven't figured how they did it. Either down one hella ravine or they used ladders. I'm sure that's why the put them on the maps as there is no way to just stumble upon them by accident. If u want to find a cache the latin heart is where u would concentrate your time on.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread started to answer Barber's request to see the original stone maps. These are Travis Marlowe's photos ( Clarence Mitchell ). They are the only known set of original stone map photos to be verified. Marlowe / Mitchell used these photos in his 1965 book, Superstition Treasure.
The photos were taken shortly after he got the stone maps from Travis Tumlinson's widow. He taped over certain things he believed important.

View attachment 1902176
View attachment 1902177 View attachment 1902178 View attachment 1902179 View attachment 1902180 View attachment 1902181 View attachment 1902182 View attachment 1902183

The switch was already made, The trail map in the middle on the right side is Fake.

babymick1

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello. i am sorry to ask, but are there any original pictures of the latin heart available? thanks j.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dredgernot , I can't say to that. But the one that are depicted is all ya need to find the spots. Personally wouldn't worry about real or not it's the info that counts if ya are looking for something. Hit me up anytime.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello. i am sorry to ask, but are there any original pictures of the latin heart available? thanks j.

LATIN_HEART_2.jpg

This might be one or it might be a replica ?

Peralta Heart Rear Locations.jpg

But it shows the 30 men's shares as they were buried in two trips in Virginia, as shown in the Beale

30 men found dead at Massacre Grounds....then the stone maps were found nearby the area by Tumlinson, with the Latin Heart found some distance from the rest by another person that claimed it was sitting in the dirt and he spotted it ?

I don't believe Tumlinson created any of this BTW....just saying there was an operation underway, a double cross, and then the stone maps were left as a part of a puzzle for the relatives of the deceased mining party, left encoded in the Beale after they were murdered.

Tumlinson stumbled onto the stone maps of the Beale Hunting Party....the original Treasure "Hunters" hint hint.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
View attachment 1903684

This might be one or it might be a replica ?

View attachment 1903685

But it shows the 30 men's shares as they were buried in two trips in Virginia, as shown in the Beale

30 men found dead at Massacre Grounds....then the stone maps were found nearby the area by Tumlinson, with the Latin Heart found some distance from the rest by another person that claimed it was sitting in the dirt and he spotted it ?

I don't believe Tumlinson created any of this BTW....just saying there was an operation underway, a double cross, and then the stone maps were left as a part of a puzzle for the relatives of the deceased mining party, left encoded in the Beale after they were murdered.

Tumlinson stumbled onto the stone maps of the Beale Hunting Party....the original Treasure "Hunters" hint hint.
:icon_scratch:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heart.jpg

Remember these were interchangeable for a reason

And that was as one would be the Heart Map Stone insert it would complete the trail in the Map Stones like a puzzle

The other would then be switched when you wanted to find their stash locations for their personal shares. You swap out the Heart Map with the Latin Heart and it shows you the locations near Moneta, VA and Bedford to look for

The map has the omega on it at the end of the trail in VA as well....it is cut into the ground exactly as it is positioned and rotated on the map as it appears.

Beale Omega.jpg

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thankyou for the pic.. i have a different theory that does not include the beale cipher.. i am gonna stick with my crazy ideas.. lol.. thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread