🥇 BANNER Originally posted on the "What Is It" board for an ID .. This is crazy!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.57.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.47.07 PM.jpg

Upvote 107

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because something old is found, doesn't mean it was dropped there at that time. You can go to just about any coin shop and find Roman coins, therefor, there's also lots of coin collectors out there with Roman coins in their collection. I've found ancient coins in the grass of a modern park and a local school. The park has had coin shows in it.....a kid probably brought an old coin to school for show and tell, and lost it. It's not hard to believe that pre-Columbian coins can be found just about anywhere people have traveled. That 4 dinero coin found in the field could have been dropped there 50 years ago by a worker, or a kid playing or crossing that field. I know several people who keep an old "lucky" coin in their pocket at all times. All it takes is a hole in that pocket and the coin is out for us to find.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Just because something old is found, doesn't mean it was dropped there at that time. You can go to just about any coin shop and find Roman coins, therefor, there's also lots of coin collectors out there with Roman coins in their collection. I've found ancient coins in the grass of a modern park and a local school. The park has had coin shows in it.....a kid probably brought an old coin to school for show and tell, and lost it. It's not hard to believe that pre-Columbian coins can be found just about anywhere people have traveled. That 4 dinero coin found in the field could have been dropped there 50 years ago by a worker, or a kid playing or crossing that field. I know several people who keep an old "lucky" coin in their pocket at all times. All it takes is a hole in that pocket and the coin is out for us to find.
Hence.. along the same lines as the old saying ... "buy the relic and not the story."

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sonoman06

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me. View attachment 2081482 View attachment 2081483
The very first silver coin I EVER FOUND with my detector was a 1545 Mexico City 1 real in Southern Maryland. They traded all sorts of Coppers and Silvers in the New World.
Killer find. 👏

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Thanks .. It is the earliest coin I have found, and I have been at it for 50+ years.
That is an amazing find, I love how well you can still see the detail.

Have to feel sorry for Americans/US people tho since you can hunt for so many years and hardly ever come across stuff older than 2/300 years old

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Cool find, but, let's not go "Oak Island" crazy here. It could have been lost 50 years ago by a kid taking his Dad's coin collection to school for show and tell day. There really is no way to tell when something like that was dropped or the source for that matter.
Oh come on, where’s the fun in that?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to feel sorry for Americans/US people tho since you can hunt for so many years and hardly ever come across stuff older than 2/300 years old
Oh there's older stuff over here, it's just not metal. (Though I do admit to being a bit envious of being able to dig thousand year old coins...)

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Oh there's older stuff over here, it's just not metal. (Though I do admit to being a bit envious of being able to dig thousand year old coins...)
Yeah, just go and prove us wrong with a hoard of coins or something before “modern” humans colonised the us

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, just go and prove us wrong with a hoard of coins or something before “modern” humans colonised the us
I think you misunderstood my comment, I said there's older stuff, it's just not metal. No coins before a few hundred years ago. But there are stone artifacts here that go back thousands of years, and fossils that go back even further. Treasure doesn't have to be metal.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
I think you misunderstood my comment, I said there's older stuff, it's just not metal. No coins before a few hundred years ago. But there are stone artifacts here that go back thousands of years, and fossils that go back even further. Treasure doesn't have to be metal.
That's why I said prove us wrong, maybe pirates brought something:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread