πŸ₯‡ BANNER Originally posted on the "What Is It" board for an ID .. This is crazy!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.57.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.47.07 PM.jpg

Upvote 107
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding find Sir. Truly unique [for America]
Agreed, not seen or heard of one coming out.
Thanks.

Given the nature of trading relationships between European countries, Spanish and other coins from this period turn up from time to time. But this particular coin, although not inherently rare, is relatively obscure and would be an unusual find here.
Incredible!
Congrats on the super find! We all hope one day to find something as amazing as that! ;-)
Thank you all. :hello:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Creskol.... um.......... First... i am late to this... i have busier that a madman with a plan.
IF in fact... which i assume you are serious.
Um.......... you should be in contact with Smithsonian immediately.

This coin is um..... a MAJOR historical find... especially IF it can...AND SHOULD,,, be carbon dated.
This coin should not get cleaned.
Dont touch it except from sides.
Dont even look at it wrong.

I thin you may have just found not only the most significant find in the history of TreasureNet...
But quite possibly North America.
Should keep in mind that finding β€œout of place” coins happens. It does not mean we will have to rewrite the history of the Americas….

But, some researchers have leaned that way just the same:

β€œThe Coincidence of the Coins:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should keep in mind that finding β€œout of place” coins happens. It does not mean we will have to rewrite the history of the Americas….

But, some researchers have leaned that way just the same:

β€œThe Coincidence of the Coins:

Yes... this is common knowledge.
What is not is...
This was partly a "joke" heh
Guess i should have d-leted it... like i normally do.

See Creskol.... arent you glad you did not use a screwdriver to retrieve this... :P

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations on the banner worthy coin , you always find things other only dream about.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me. View attachment 2081482 View attachment 2081483
Regardless of the significance of the find..you have my respect for the 50+ years of pursuing the learning of history (SHARING), and chasing the possibility of real treasure. It is a real possibility as far as I’m concerned, ESPECIALLY for the introverts (those that recharge from detecting a few hundred square feet by themselves with headphones on).

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are your thoughts on doing an aggressive cleaning on this one since it isn't in great shape and isn't worth a whole lot?
I too would clean it. I just found a 1728 king george half pence, and had i not cleaned it, i would have never been able to identify it

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!! :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:
Love brookings. My favorite town on entire Oregon coast. If you havent taken the mail boat up the rogue and spent the night at paradise lodge you need to call for reservations now. Ive done it 5 times. Its a thrill every time

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I looked into this sites say, "Enrique III" not Henry III or this Henry is ",of" Castile not Wales/Great Britain. Thus, not the identical monarch family members in England whom lived 500-800 years earlier in time.
See: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces122739.html

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Look again at the link you provided. At the top of the page, the title reads "Enrique III" which is how the Spanish would refer to him. Then look at the blue box headed "Features" and you will see "Henry III" which is the usual way he's referred to in English language catalogues. "Henry" is just the Anglicised equivalent of his name "Enrique".

In the same way, we usually refer to "Felipe" as "Philip" "Carlos" as "Charles"; "Wilhelm" as "William", "Friedrich" as "Frederick" and other Anglicisations of foreign names.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A jeweler friend of mine has been trying to clean this coin without destroying all the patina. Here are a few shots of the finished product. Maybe there is enough detail to help make a definitive ID.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg