Oroville Spillway Collapse

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home for sale CHEAP.....:tongue3: lousy lazy arse bureauratz had been warned 4 times by their own studies but.......that'd mean they'd have to WORK!!! o well maybe later. Hold on to your hat as this has just begun with many more storms and THEN 176% of normal snow equals ungodly runoff. The saga continues.....big bummer for many...John

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to go detect those washes they created. Bet there is gold there in the bedrock cracks. But as was said earlier, big bother is not going to let anyone near that area for a very long time.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Home for sale CHEAP.....:tongue3: lousy lazy arse bureauratz had been warned 4 times by their own studies but.......that'd mean they'd have to WORK!!! o well maybe later. Hold on to your hat as this has just begun with many more storms and THEN 176% of normal snow equals ungodly runoff. The saga continues.....big bummer for many...John

And earthen spillway to handle 250,000 cfs? This has been a time bomb looking for a time to go off.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They need to scour off the soil at the base of the bedrock at the emergency spillway . Add tons of steel, concrete and grout forming a sloped ramp. What a joke, failed at 5% rated capacity. The question is why did they let the lake near capacity and who will get the gold left behind? Drought paranoia is the answer to the first question.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly this is normal (historically) rain fall. They got greedy by letting a resivour with an allready damaged spillway get to full and then when the main spillway blows apart they stop all flow for like 12 hrs?? I just don't get that. There was nothing to be gained by doing that and that put the lake lever right to the edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the picture i just seen is real then if you live below this dam, get the hell out and stay out for awhile. It was raw footage from a news chopper that showed water running from UNDERNEATH the concrete weir on the emergency spillway.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The water is down 22ft from going over the emergency spillway. They wouldn't have let everyone back if it was running underneath.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice over head view , bet there is gold washed out in that flow path .

Attachments

• accuweather.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg
    accuweather.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 123

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
on the sunny side..wonder if the area below the dam will replenish...
worked a spot when I was a fresh greenhorn in 2009 with a couple guys...we were getting decent color about 3/4 mile below Oroville Dam Blvd.

Oh, I'm sure they will close that area off to the public and within months, you'll see some government funded Combiesque dredge operation move in to remove the blown out sediments.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, I'm sure they will close that area off to the public and within months, you'll see some government funded Combiesque dredge operation move in to remove the blown out sediments.

I've heard about the klusterf*** there removing the sediment.

the area was part of the park, forget the name of it. we were working parallel to the cement plant on the other side of 70.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
29 billion spent on housing, food, medical for illegals in california...

Cuts for infrastructure. They couldn't afford to fix it with all the illegal mouths to feed and house.
Good job libs, another fail.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with this mess

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with this mess

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when asked about repairing the older dams Governor Brown said we'll have to fill that gaping hole somewhere down the road.:hello:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread