Out For A Short Hunt With My New Outlaw

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Fast hunt at old small apartment sight now tour down dating to the mid 1940's.

Did not find a hole lot today the sight was really small. I noticed that the Outlaw hits nice and solid on good targets and hits a little scratchy and broken sounding on items that hit solid but end up being trash. I dug everything that repeated a signal today and thumbed the disk to check before digging.

In the pic the small round bead hit solid like a coin and did not cut out on the disk until past zinc and was about 4" down. The brass rings dropped out just above nickel and the brass buckle came in like a bigger coin. The small buttons in the pic all came in around nickel one of them (the little flower a little bellow) and the other two a little above. There is a small old brass clasp with righting on it that came in at around zinc (if not paying attention a guy would have tossed it as it looked like trash until a second look) The token came in like a coin and the penny came in around zinc. The rest is trash was more broken sounding repeatable signals at different places on the disk.

Nothing great found but I am getting the feel for the Outlaw it does have a nice smooth audio sound on good targets and a more duller sort of scratchy sound on junk. You can hear the discriminator doing its job on small bits of trash ticking every now and then (had it set just below foil) All the metal rusted screw caps were null-ed or disk-ed out along with all the small bits of metal laying around. The Outlaw likes small targets like the little buttons and the smaller bead like item. Also it likes coin size items as it should.

(A Quick Note About My Outlaws Disk knob)

When I got my Outlaw the disc knob was dropping nickel's at just below tabs not at or around nickel like it should. I re-adjusted the knob so it drops nickels dead on the nickel mark and they come back in just a hair below the nickel mark. ( I have done this to every Tesoro I have ever owned great for identifying nickels when the knob is set like this on the disk)

I think the Outlaw is a keeper..:thumbsup:

Happy Hunting To All, :tongue3:
Bill G

Attachments

• finds 1.jpg
    finds 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Finds 3.jpg
    Finds 3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Outlaw cover 3.jpg
    Outlaw cover 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 101

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good start to get to know your Outlaw.

What coil were you using?

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bill - A couple of questions on adjusting the disc setting...
Did you do this with an air test for nickels?
Did this effect other settings - Zinc/Pull Tabs etc.
It sounds like your recalibrating the disc knob using nickels - is that essentially it?

Thanks,
John

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a slight variation on Bill G's nickel setting. On detectors that have "nickel" printed on the face, I too have adjusted the knob to match. However, I have several earlier models that use numbers rather than labels and when using them I throw a nickel on the ground, swing the coil over it while adjusting the knob and after the nickel cracks out I turn it back just enough to accept nickels, then go hunting. That way I know exactly where the disc point is. One can also, on either type of dial, make a mark for where each type of target discs out rather than move the knob. All these techniques work and with a little practice thumbing the disc knob you'll soon be able to become pretty accurate IDing the likely type of target.
luvsdux

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT. It was free. Still works good.
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my outlaw in the other day. I love this thing! Did a rework of the yard to see how everything worked on it and came up with a 1936 penny. Seems to go a bit deeper then my other detectors, have to give it a hard work out it the trash park with the 5.75 coil. HH

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Hi Bill - A couple of questions on adjusting the disc setting...
Did you do this with an air test for nickels?
Did this effect other settings - Zinc/Pull Tabs etc.
It sounds like your recalibrating the disc knob using nickels - is that essentially it?

Thanks,
John

John,

I just did it with an air test, this is pretty much what the factory does to get the knob in the right place (I double checked everything several times) I set it to break at the nickel line and come in just before it. Also like luvsdux said below I do it the same way as him if the dial has numbers.

Really the only reason I did this adjustment on my new Outlaw is they got it way off at the factory not just a little for what ever reason. It was dropping nickels out all the way up to almost pull tab, now she is right on the money. It now drops out zincs just a hair before zinc on the dial indicator and nickels are spot on. Tesoros are made by humans and sometimes they get the disk nob of a little no big deal it is easy to fix. Most of my Tesoros have been really close but I like them to drop nickels right on the mark or on the appropriate number on the dial indicator. ( This really helps when identifying nickels in the field since so many different targets come in around the nickel range just above and below) I have found when nickels break right at nickel on the dial on a Tesoro you will have a bigger chance in the field of it being that for ID purposes when thumbing the knob.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Last edited:

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill

Thanks. I am hunting a new field tomorrow and I haven't calibrated anything. I'll be sure to give it a looksee tomorrow before I head out.

Thanks for the advice!

John

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Sounds like a good start to get to know your Outlaw.

What coil were you using?

Tom,

I was using the 8" standard concentric coil with the donut hole. I also have the 10x12DD widescan, 5.75 concentric and the 7"DD widescan coils for this detector.

Bill G

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill

Thanks. I am hunting a new field tomorrow and I haven't calibrated anything. I'll be sure to give it a looksee tomorrow before I head out.

Thanks for the advice!

John

Hey John,

Let me know where your outlaw is dropping nickels on the dial compared to mine from the factory setting. Like I said before I adjusted mine nickels were dropping out between nickel and pull tab on the indicator, not at nickel like it should have been.

Bill G

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bill

I did the test and I found nickels were dropping out right at the nickel setting. Just below loud and clear, just above nothing. I didn't have to change anything on my DISC.

Take care,
John

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

I was using the 8" standard concentric coil with the donut hole. I also have the 10x12DD widescan, 5.75 concentric and the 7"DD widescan coils for this detector.

Bill G

After you've used each coil for a while. I'll be interested to hear your
thoughts about the differences between them. I'm especially interested
in how the depth (for coin and ring-sized objects) compares between
the 8" concentric and the 10x12 DD widescan coils. Also whether the
sounds for good and bad targets differ much between the coils.

Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast hunt at old small apartment sight now tour down dating to the mid 1940's. Did not find a hole lot today the sight was really small. I noticed that the Outlaw hits nice and solid on good targets and hits a little scratchy and broken sounding on items that hit solid but end up being trash. I dug everything that repeated a signal today and thumbed the disk to check before digging. In the pic the small round bead hit solid like a coin and did not cut out on the disk until past zinc and was about 4" down. The brass rings dropped out just above nickel and the brass buckle came in like a bigger coin. The small buttons in the pic all came in around nickel one of them (the little flower a little bellow) and the other two a little above. There is a small old brass clasp with righting on it that came in at around zinc (if not paying attention a guy would have tossed it as it looked like trash until a second look) The token came in like a coin and the penny came in around zinc. The rest is trash was more broken sounding repeatable signals at different places on the disk. Nothing great found but I am getting the feel for the Outlaw it does have a nice smooth audio sound on good targets and a more duller sort of scratchy sound on junk. You can hear the discriminator doing its job on small bits of trash ticking every now and then (had it set just below foil) All the metal rusted screw caps were null-ed or disk-ed out along with all the small bits of metal laying around. The Outlaw likes small targets like the little buttons and the smaller bead like item. Also it likes coin size items as it should. (A Quick Note About My Outlaws Disk knob) When I got my Outlaw the disc knob was dropping nickel's at just below tabs not at or around nickel like it should. I re-adjusted the knob so it drops nickels dead on the nickel mark and they come back in just a hair below the nickel mark. ( I have done this to every Tesoro I have ever owned great for identifying nickels when the knob is set like this on the disk) I think the Outlaw is a keeper..:thumbsup: Happy Hunting To All, :tongue3: Bill G

You're off to a good start for lots of fun

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Thank you, I hope your feeling better Sandman...

Bill G

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Hi Bill

I did the test and I found nickels were dropping out right at the nickel setting. Just below loud and clear, just above nothing. I didn't have to change anything on my DISC.

Take care,
John

Perfect John,

That's the way it is suppose to be set from the factory.:icon_thumright: Like I said they sometimes get them off a little from the factory but it is an easy fix. Not everyone out there knows this or how to fix it. I dont think it's real common or a real problem that the knob is off a little but it does happen. Two out of the 5 Tesoros I have owned have been off on where the disk knob drops nickel in reffrence to the knobs indicator in reffrence to the nickel mark.

Bill G

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread