Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Wilsonville,OR
Detector(s) used
Whites GM2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overburden :hello:
I don't know about you guys but the Overburden im seeing often pays very well.Maybe not bedrock well, but very well none the less. I know the big mines throw out feet and feet of the stuff and I even know dredgers who will remove their sluice box from their dredge,crank the motor up and blow feet and feet of overburden out until they get near the pay layer.Now,in my experience I have found most all my nuggets on, or in the overburden.Some trips didn't yield much as far as fines go but I would always get a nugget or two for my troubles, running the overburden. Of all the nuggets we took last season,more than 3/4 of them came out of the overburden.Many of them within an inch or 2 of the surface. So,my point to writing all this is to ask some questions.

Shouldn't we not be extremely careful with overburden in Glacier deposit areas since the gold distribution can be so sporadic ??

How have you guys done processing your overburden?

What do you guys do with your overburden?

Are you finding your larger nugget in or on bedrock or on overburden?

How has your overburden payed compared to the pay layer/bedrock?

A lot of you know I belong to many many gold forums and some of you belong to those as well.I will be posting this to the other forums too,to try and formulate some kind of conclusion to test this season.Overburden has treated me very well,now let us know how its treated you.:BangHead:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been curious on overburden as well. It seems logical that one would find gold.

Your best bet is to post your findings and such related to gold in hte gold prospecting section of the forum. Chances are you would get a lot more answers.

Wellcome to T-Net!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dredging or Highbanking I run all gravel if theres color and it gets better the deeper i go. If I find a paystreak I follow it while I can. I have found bigger stuff in over burden too.Now that Im mainly Sniping with a pan or sluice I try to Pick My Cracks very well so I can run the richest material possible due to the volume limitations.I will rake loose stuff off of better stratified overburden, in flood deposits and side benches if the gravel stays loose and "fresh " to me I'll move on unless the Bedrock is decomposing, If it is or its slate... I will Pull out my screwdriver to see how good the last fella was:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread