Oyster shells tell

diggerranger

Mar 4, 2016
VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was walking through woods and saw area covered in oyster shells. Noticed a chunk of brick. Grabbed my detector and wow. Only had a hour so I’ll be back. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519421005.390196.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519421022.822805.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519421081.045223.jpg

Upvote 22
Wow! What are the other finds beside the watch winder and Dandy button (the ones on the right of the photo)?

That's a shoe buckle frame, correct? Can't quite tell.

The watch winder is a sweet find too. That spots bound to have some goodies lucking about.

Best of luck to you!

Oyster shells are good signs of trash pits. I would probe it for bottles

Nice finds. If Im seeing oyster, brick, pottery or glass then I know the good finds will follow

Nice! This could get...interesting. 😁

Looks like you have a winner site! :icon_thumleft:

congrats on following the clues!

Very exciting to come upon a site like that.
Do you try to cover everything up before you leave?
Congratulations on your finds.

Quick q-tip clean. I’m guessing late 1700’s site. No back marks.Any ideas? Thanks for reply’s ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519470019.433577.jpg

Oyster shells are 1 of the indicators for a Roman or Medieval site in the UK, so I always pay attention to them - good spot!

I would certainly be getting the sifter out after detecting that spot. May be a nice early pit. I dug out a 17th Century pit last year and it was maybe the most fun I’ve had recovering early treasure. Even a few coins in this particular spot. I’d be excited about that spot my friend

Last edited:
You've got a very promising site there, now go work it! Hope you score some great finds.
HH
dts

Oh yeah, I can easily see a Spanish reale or an early copper from that site. Lucky you!

Best of luck to you and continued Success to you on your new found site. Just imagine what will come up next when you have more time. Well Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back