πŸ₯‡ BANNER Paid for the new detector on the first day!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excited enough I need a tranquilizer. I just got a new to me but used Tesoro Tejon. It was priced right so I said what the heck. I went to my new permission and figured out which end to blow on, har har har. Anyway, it's a Civil War 1864 site in Virginia. Switched loops, put the big loop on it and started beating bushes. Wasn't getting much, I mean like NO signals. So By the end of the day I had tried several different strategies. First was just wander around in the woods. Got a couple pieces of iron from ration cans and some nails. This time I did NOT trip over the wire fence.

Second strategy was to do some "tree and sticker bush bumping". The English translation is to go real close to all the trees with the loop and same thing for briars (go right through them), and see if anyone there previously left anything. Well, got some more iron and half a horseshoe.

Third strategy was to explore this here rock pile. Got a couple iffy signals. Dug down a few inches and about 8 inches down picked up a layer of ash! Fire pit! Nails, a kepi buckle in brass, melted lead, a very pretty small porcelain button, an iron underwear button, most of a bullseye canteen in parts and FIVE eagle buttons in perfect condition with shanks. Well, that made my day. It was getting a little late, so I carefully filled in the hole and started "tree bumping again". Got a very nice nearly complete CW flat tin can, whoopee. I haven't gotten everything out of the bucket yet.

But then.....headed back to the truck. Got a signal right next to the road (it's a private gravel road) and pulled out my FIRST (and probably only and last) CSA plate. It's very much like the one posted here a few weeks ago. Has the same kind of weird hooks on the back-at least weird to me. Looks like a Virginia Arsenal and looks most like Mullinax's #108. I now have a massive stress headache. Too much excitement.

Three plates in 2016! Who would have thought it! (Also found what may be a small meteorite, but I have to check it out.) Got so excited I left it in the truck. Sorry about the pics, haven't had time to wash anything up yet. Took the pieces to a well known Virginia CW dealer to look at and he advised me not to wash the buttons, but when they were totally dry to flick the dirt off with my fingernail. HE said that way the eagles and shield would stand out much better. I told him I was going to clean the buckle, looks like a rich green patina under the red dirt, but he suggested not touching it at all. IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0567.JPG As you can see I was wiping the high spots on the plate. The color in the photo is a little off, it's a little too bright. Took it with the cell phone. Need a tranquilizer.

Upvote 97

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a fantastic find

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headache is going to be here awhile. Had a crown put on a tooth 2 weeks ago and its starting to go nuclear.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on recovering an Amazing CSA relic !

Very Kool indeed

daWg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How the heck did I miss this?!!! Congrats to you on such a beautiful find! The Atlanta Arsenal types of buckles really do well in the ground as far as patina is concerned. Yours is beautiful and I know you must be proud.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your the Cat that got the cream :laughing7: Great find and congrats on the Banner.:thumbsup:

SS

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find! Congratualtions. :occasion14:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, my! I can't imagine the thrill of seeing those three letters CSA in the dirt. Congrats on the banner.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey that is AWESOME! I crave one of those as well! We all do! Find man!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! And mega congrats!!!
You had yourself one awesome day! And I think the tejon likes you...a lot!

Your "OTWBTTT" (on the way back to the truck) finds are spectacular! Well deserved Banner!

Try a few deep breaths to help bring down the BP, I know it's kinda hard doing that from cloud 9.

Well done Lady!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Beautiful plate. Glad you didn't put water on it, dug brass and water dont mix well. That is a tough find to beat.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.....What an awesome plate! Congratulations. Hogge

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JUST BEAUTIFUL YOU FOUND IT AND IT SEE'S THE LIGHT OF DAY ONCE AGAIN AFTER SO MANY YEARS!!! A GREAT FIND YOU MADE!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a lot of us hunt but rarely see, Thanks for sharing your hunt and congratulations!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw your plate this AM...very cool.
And tonight...I see it on Banner! Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions