What's new

Paleo blade

Darby

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
812
Reaction score
885
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted some pics of my collection awhile back but recently had this piece returned to me from SCIAA (South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology). Found it about five years ago and is one of my favorite finds.

ForumRunner_20140123_190338.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_190351.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_190406.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_190423.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_190552.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_190626.webp

Thanks for looking!
 
Upvote 0
I knew it was in good hands but was glad to see it back in my case! Actually when I first found it I thought it was just a big piece of material until I saw the worked edges. Liked it then but loved it when they identified it as paleo era! Thanks for your comments.
 
Did you find it in SC?
 
Yes all my relic hunting is in SC. Been an avid arrowhead hunter for years but last year started medal detecting which took up alot of my free time but still love finding indian artifacts!
 
That is sweet boss ... It's nice to see something paleo it helps shine a little light on the subject ;) thanks for sharing !!!
 
awesome find! cant find human artifacts much older than Paleo indian artifacts.Indian artifacts all together are hard to find.Personally to me the older a relic, the better,and ya cant get much older than that.What kind of rock is it made out of?
 
Thanks y'all. I believe it is rhyolite. I have several points made from the same material. Thanks again for the comments!
 
How did they decide it was Paleo?
 
Alot to do with the way it was made I believe. Not exactly sure but trust their knowledge. Thanks for looking
 
Thanks Rock and Monsterrack
 
That sure is a nice large flake blade with some good secondary flaking! :icon_thumleft:
 
Thanks old digger. It fits your hand nicely and you can see how they must have used it. Thanks for looking
 
That's a really nice and rare find! These are strongly associated with Paleo sites in SC. I've seen a few of these. Kind of similar to a Waller Knife.
 
Last edited:
That's a really nice and rare find! These are strongly associated with Paleo sites in SC. I've seen a few of these. Kind of similar to a Waller Knife.

Thanks mcb66. I only have a few paleo pieces and this one is one of my favorites!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom