What's new

Paleo?

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if this is Paleo material ? Post your pictures of your paleo uniface scrapers if you have some thanks
 

Attachments

  • image-2976847318.webp
    image-2976847318.webp
    44 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2081326014.webp
    image-2081326014.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3219669075.webp
    image-3219669075.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image-434864424.webp
    image-434864424.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image-74798710.webp
    image-74798710.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2780256455.webp
    image-2780256455.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1991613322.webp
    image-1991613322.webp
    50 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0
Is there no one with paleo uniface scrapers ??;)
 
The word Paleo gets attached to alot of things by alot of people for whatever reason ..
With everything I've ever found or studied..there is very few tools that could be diffinitively categorized as being from exclusively that time period unless found on a stratified site in association with Paleo projectile points.
I have found countless uniface scrapers and other expedient tools flaked only on one side at sites from early archaic through woodland.
Those pieces of yours look like expedient tools to me..the last one I'm not sure is knapped.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I cant say for sure either cause I have never found a whole Paleo point in any of my hunts. The closest thing I have found is flake blades which could be Dalton period and just a base of a Paleo point. Its a Beaver Lake.
If there was ever a such term as your best heart breaker this would be mine. I found it last yr.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2753.webp
    100_2753.webp
    142.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_2764.webp
    100_2764.webp
    301 KB · Views: 154
Keep going back to that area rock.. your day will come.
 
Keep going back to that area rock.. your day will come.

Thanks maybe in the winter this yr. That part of the field I havent really found much but then again I didnt really get to look much there. I will this yr if Wheat isnt planted. With the crazy weather I think winter will come sooner than normal and there wont be time to plant twice like it is usually done. The farmers might go to planting in the winter months and if so then it will probably be a crop to make up for a short planting summer. I hope not but it might happen. Its been between 80-90 in the day and 60-70 at night all summer long. Then with all the rain and the late planting season. Oh I guess I will have to cross my fingers and hope. Thanks Gb
 
Yeah I cant say for sure either cause I have never found a whole Paleo point in any of my hunts. The closest thing I have found is flake blades which could be Dalton period and just a base of a Paleo point. Its a Beaver Lake.
If there was ever a such term as your best heart breaker this would be mine. I found it last yr.

Wow that is a heart breaker but still very pretty !!!
 
Closest I think I have to paleo blades a couple of heartbreakers and one ruff worn blade if your ever in my area rock when we hit winter pool ill take you for a hunt
 

Attachments

  • image-1936397256.webp
    image-1936397256.webp
    40 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2166477844.webp
    image-2166477844.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2609913908.webp
    image-2609913908.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2064997458.webp
    image-2064997458.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3032593117.webp
    image-3032593117.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image-612337953.webp
    image-612337953.webp
    37 KB · Views: 138
I think eBay and other sales oriented websites have a lot to do with it.. "put the name paleo on it and it will sell"
Here is a tool assemblage from a Clovis site.

74-31-clovistoolkit.webp

Overshot flakeing is one diagnostic thing to look for but that didn't only happen only during that time period. You can see that on preforms from many different times.
A true flute would be the most diagnostic without actual directly associated context.
 
Yes indeed everyone has paleo lol that's why I started this thread I hunt creeks in the summer and rivers in the winter it's hard in a creek to identify paleo with there being so many mixed up pieces but the last blade came out of a bank 5 foot deep with some other pieces I didn't post a pic of it should of had a hafted handle but it was broke off years ago I'm going to ask for a better camera for Christmas lol keep the pics coming beautiful pieces on the last post
 
Yes indeed everyone has paleo lol that's why I started this thread I hunt creeks in the summer and rivers in the winter it's hard in a creek to identify paleo with there being so many mixed up pieces but the last blade came out of a bank 5 foot deep with some other pieces I didn't post a pic of it should of had a hafted handle but it was broke off years ago I'm going to ask for a better camera for Christmas lol keep the pics coming beautiful pieces on the last post

Gator beautiful pieces
 
The first four in your last post are artifacts and nice ones at that. The others are just rocks. Back about 5 years ago the whole paleo knife thing started and it's snow balled to the point that at any given time there pieces on all forums being proclaimed as paleo with absolutely no proof. Now it seems that anything that's crude, uniface, odd, triangular or has basal thinning is paleo. The one thing that all this has in common is it's always in the absence of actual proven paleo points. I see tons of utilized flakes being proclaimed as paleo and the fact remains that they aren't. When you find an actual paleo artifact there will be no doubt in your mind. Keep hunting.

Glad you stopped by to tell us this cause I have heard the word so many times and then you look and clearly see its not. Member since 2008 dang you must of been one of the first members here? TY, rock
 
I think the top two to the right red and white there just rocks right
 
My question is I wanted to know if the first scraper in my first set of pics was paleo and I wanted others to post pictures of there paleo pieces they are always beautiful thanks for your time
 
I'm not one of the first members here. I read regularly and post rarely. So what exactly is your question?

No certain question. I just like your knowledge. Honesty is the only way to learn.
 
No certain question. I just like your knowledge. Honesty is the only way to learn.

Yes sir rock I like to know that everyday I've learned something new knowledge is power !!!
 
I think eBay and other sales oriented websites have a lot to do with it.. "put the name paleo on it and it will sell"
Here is a tool assemblage from a Clovis site.

View attachment 839935

Overshot flakeing is one diagnostic thing to look for but that didn't only happen only during that time period. You can see that on preforms from many different times.
A true flute would be the most diagnostic without actual directly associated context.


Where did you get those Gator? Almost an uni-faced tool could be Paleo or Mississippian. Context will be everything with a uni-faced tool. How cool would it be to find a true Paleo site with no other cultures on top of it. That is a dream for sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom