What's new

Paleo?

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if this is Paleo material ? Post your pictures of your paleo uniface scrapers if you have some thanks
 

Attachments

  • image-2976847318.webp
    image-2976847318.webp
    44 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2081326014.webp
    image-2081326014.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3219669075.webp
    image-3219669075.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image-434864424.webp
    image-434864424.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image-74798710.webp
    image-74798710.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2780256455.webp
    image-2780256455.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1991613322.webp
    image-1991613322.webp
    50 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0
That is a photograph of pieces recovered from an archaeological dig on a Clovis site in New Mexico.
( casts)
 
Last edited:
This is a frame of points all found within 50 mi. of my home, I think that the point that I have a close up of is a paleo. It is the only one I have ever found and if I die and didn't find another, I would be happy with what I have. The flute is over 3/4 of the length on the other side. In my area paleo is very rare.fram 001.webpfram 002.webpfram 003.webpThe point is made of local creek chert and is 3 in. long. The point at the 5 o'clock position , I have been told is paleo, but it is not fluted, so it could be a point preform,(who knows) only the guy that made it and he is not around to talk.
 
This is a frame of points all found within 50 mi. of my home, I think that the point that I have a close up of is a paleo. It is the only one I have ever found and if I die and didn't find another, I would be happy with what I have. The flute is over 3/4 of the length on the other side. In my area paleo is very rare.View attachment 840174View attachment 840175View attachment 840176The point is made of local creek chert and is 3 in. long. The point at the 5 o'clock position , I have been told is paleo, but it is not fluted, so it could be a point preform,(who knows) only the guy that made it and he is not around to talk.
That is a long flute, congrats on that one for sure.
 
Nice pieces keep them coming !!!!
 
Ok I'm getting ready to unload some pics please be patient with me if you see something special comment and ill get a better pic of that item
 

Attachments

  • image-2123877247.webp
    image-2123877247.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1408924779.webp
    image-1408924779.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-248354960.webp
    image-248354960.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2803341453.webp
    image-2803341453.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-4253048675.webp
    image-4253048675.webp
    51.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-725045474.webp
    image-725045474.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-516134432.webp
    image-516134432.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1390165543.webp
    image-1390165543.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1173137660.webp
    image-1173137660.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2162406790.webp
    image-2162406790.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image-853769628.webp
    image-853769628.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3538503534.webp
    image-3538503534.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-88694408.webp
    image-88694408.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 96
Ok I'm getting ready to unload some pics please be patient with me if you see something special comment and ill get a better pic of that item

I see secondary flaking on every piece you showed a close up of. I can't say if they are paleo or not. However, in basic science class we were taught that animals evolved into smaller, more energy efficient versions of themselves, to better fill their nitch. These tools are huge! Looks like they would be used on an animal that has not yet evolved. Just my two cents. Refunds will be made at request of original poster!!
 
I can't send you a pm till you delete messages lol i threw some good ones along with the crazy ones the only one I got wet was the big brown circle scraper knife whatever thingy haha... The all white one is a tanged ax and its one of my favorite pieces
 
The bike looked good. Id stick with the ones that showed flaking.
 
My bike is my other hobby my dad and I enjoy are rides together its good quality time I did all the work on that bike myself thanks !!!
 

Attachments

  • image-4052573829.webp
    image-4052573829.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 95
I can't send you a pm till you delete messages lol i threw some good ones along with the crazy ones the only one I got wet was the big brown circle scraper knife whatever thingy haha... The all white one is a tanged ax and its one of my favorite pieces

I always thought this was a tanged axe.

image-2206050274.webp
 
You might b right here's the example I found
 

Attachments

  • image-1450089193.webp
    image-1450089193.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 79
Yours looks much closer. Nice find for a fellow that calls rocks tools. Lol!!
 
This is a frame of points all found within 50 mi. of my home, I think that the point that I have a close up of is a paleo. It is the only one I have ever found and if I die and didn't find another, I would be happy with what I have. The flute is over 3/4 of the length on the other side. In my area paleo is very rare.View attachment 840174View attachment 840175View attachment 840176The point is made of local creek chert and is 3 in. long. The point at the 5 o'clock position , I have been told is paleo, but it is not fluted, so it could be a point preform,(who knows) only the guy that made it and he is not around to talk.

The fluted point is a Cumberland Point. They are usually assigned to a later date then Clovis, but still Paleo era. Archaeologist Michael Gramly believes Cumberlands predate, or are earlier, then Clovis points. I would be very happy finding such a quality Paleo point.

Here is Gramly's article on the Cumberland/Barnes tradition. There are photos at fig. 1.

http://asaa-persimmonpress.com/number_6_gramly_cumberland.html
 
Last edited:
I'd pee my pants if I found it great piece lol
 
You might b right here's the example I found

Doesn't mean the example is correct lol I do lots of research on tools and axes especially axes there my favorite most information you find is always on arrowheads but that is just one object out of hundreds they used ....I mean from caveman to woodland periods around a couple million years they used rocks that's a lot of rocks haha
 
Yeah I cant say for sure either cause I have never found a whole Paleo point in any of my hunts. The closest thing I have found is flake blades which could be Dalton period and just a base of a Paleo point. Its a Beaver Lake.
If there was ever a such term as your best heart breaker this would be mine. I found it last yr.

So, Rock, I was just going through some of my collection and found a piece heartbreaker almost identical to yours here its truly amazing!! I have also picked a few of my favorites and will start a new thread later.
 

Attachments

  • image-2793389722.webp
    image-2793389722.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2611931859.webp
    image-2611931859.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2539130073.webp
    image-2539130073.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 67
So, Rock, I was just going through some of my collection and found a piece heartbreaker almost identical to yours here its truly amazing!! I have also picked a few of my favorites and will start a new thread later.

It does look like mine and it looks like it is broken in the same place. I always liked to think it use to be on a spear and broke while in a hunt as they used it on a animal and the other half ran off at the entry point.
 
So, Rock, I was just going through some of my collection and found a piece heartbreaker almost identical to yours here its truly amazing!! I have also picked a few of my favorites and will start a new thread later.

Man!! That's a great piece. I know the bitter sweet feeling these finds bring.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom