Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats something different. I cant find anything online either. My guess is part of some kind of patented inhalator for medicine. :dontknow:

I found this: "Calcium glycerophosphate is found to be effective in treating and preventing a disease, disorder and/or condition of the respiratory system."

I dont think that type of painted label lettering on glass is very old.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ACL (Applied Color Label), also called the painted label bottle (stenciled lettering) was popular in the 40's, 50's and 60's. This may help date your glass piece.

Upvote 0

gyrogear

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2009
This looks like a piece of laboratory glassware to me. That looks like a ground glass joint at the top, most probably for a stopper, but possibly to connect to other glassware. That is definitely a tubing connector near the top. I can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like there is a chamber within the outer glass envelope. Does the tubing connector attach to it or just penetrate to the space between the envelope and the inner chamber? Can you post a photo that includes the bottom section?
Regarding the label: Most older glassware had labels acid etched into the surface rather than painted on.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
gyrogear said:
Regarding the label: Most older glassware had labels acid etched into the surface rather than painted on.
I didnt think of that. :thumbsup: It may be etched. Does that make it older? :dontknow: The writing is Old English.

Does anyone know why the glass is heavy and pointed on the bottom?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
808kaz

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
gyrogear said:
This looks like a piece of laboratory glassware to me. That looks like a ground glass joint at the top, most probably for a stopper, but possibly to connect to other glassware. That is definitely a tubing connector near the top. I can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like there is a chamber within the outer glass envelope. Does the tubing connector attach to it or just penetrate to the space between the envelope and the inner chamber? Can you post a photo that includes the bottom section?

I'm sure it's some kind of laboratory glassware, my friend has the piece now, I emailed him to add additional pictures and for a better description, the letters are etched, and it did come from a old pineapple plantation dump in the hills, from the bottles we where finding I would date it from 1915ish to around the 1940's, thanks for you help...

Upvote 0

gyrogear

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2009
I can't say for sure without knowing how the tubing connector is configured internally, but I think this is an early form of nebulizer. If it is configured the way I am imagining, then a calcium substance was introduced through the top opening and a stopper installed. The whole piece was stood in a heated water bath. The weighted bottom would keep it upright. The heat would vaporize the calcium and the tubing would connect to a respirator worn by the patient. This is a "best guess" answer, since I can't make out the internal construction from the photo.

Upvote 0

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
Howzit Kaz... The wording looks like it is etched and not painted. There is also markings on the bottom I missed. I cleaned it up and here are the pics.

Attachments

• CALCIUM INHALATOR 001.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 001.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 218
  • CALCIUM INHALATOR 003.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 003.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 218
  • CALCIUM INHALATOR 008.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 008.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 224
  • CALCIUM INHALATOR 005.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 005.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 219
  • CALCIUM INHALATOR 006.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 006.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 222
  • CALCIUM INHALATOR 004.JPG
    CALCIUM INHALATOR 004.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
gyrogear said:
Thanks Gyrogear... I post more pics.

Upvote 0

gyrogear

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2009
Ok, from these new photos I can see it is a single wall vessel. The top joint is not ground glass, so was designed to accommodate a cork or rubber stopper. The graduations on the lower part are in milliliters.
I can see several impact fractures in the closeup photo of the label. Quite possibly why it was discarded.
The broken part on the bottom would indicate there was probably a base attached.
My best guess now would be a vessel for a chemical rather than a thermal reaction. Most probably a calcium compound was added as a powder, then a liquid chemical was added to react with the calcium and produce a vapor which then flowed to the patient via tubing attached to the bib.
Sort of the same way acetylene gas is generated in a carbide lamp by dripping water into calcium carbide.
One possible use for an apparatus like this would be for treating exposure to hydrogen fluoride. You can read a little about that here.
capsnet.usc.edu/LabSafety/documents/HFEXPOSURE_Treatment.doc

Upvote 0

gyrogear

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2009
Sorry, I don't know the age. Judging from the type font on the etched label, I would guess mid to late 19Th century through early 20Th century.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
gyrogear said:
Ok, from these new photos I can see it is a single wall vessel. The top joint is not ground glass, so was designed to accommodate a cork or rubber stopper. The graduations on the lower part are in milliliters.
I can see several impact fractures in the closeup photo of the label. Quite possibly why it was discarded.
The broken part on the bottom would indicate there was probably a base attached.
My best guess now would be a vessel for a chemical rather than a thermal reaction. Most probably a calcium compound was added as a powder, then a liquid chemical was added to react with the calcium and produce a vapor which then flowed to the patient via tubing attached to the bib.
Sort of the same way acetylene gas is generated in a carbide lamp by dripping water into calcium carbide.
One possible use for an apparatus like this would be for treating exposure to hydrogen fluoride. You can read a little about that here.
capsnet.usc.edu/LabSafety/documents/HFEXPOSURE_Treatment.doc
Sounds good to me. I would guess early 20th century. http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110677361774 Todays inhalators are plastic.

Attachments

• patent inhalator.jpg
    patent inhalator.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread