Relic Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly what hunting has come to and what metal detecting will as well because of people putting it out there.Then the nieghbor says hey old Bob is getting paid so I will charge too...not good,not good at all.This also shows land owners that hey,they must be getting rich,its bad enough they are seeing that rubbish on TV.Are you getting rich doing his?Do you expect to dig the equal value in what you paid?
I personally dont have money to pay attention,it irks me that everything is either illegal,or costs too much for me to go enjoy something

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I know they're alot of free places to hunt but I place an ad on craigslist. I have had some good response , recently contacted about civil war area a person has. Got me to thinking if people pay to go on hurt for the weekend two or three days what's the differents.

That seems like a good idea. Actually thought about that myself. So how much did you offer to hunt their property for a weekend? Cash would be a good incentive for a person to let you hunt their property. Money talks!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well myself i would never pay someone to hunt there place ..... it is a bad practice to start ........ It will snow ball to be a pain in the butt for all ones that detect..........

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have to agree , i can not afford to pay to hunt and think it makes it hard on others that want to hunt and cant afford .
that being said , i recently heard of a local DR, that has hit all the local spots that were fount over the last 20 years and no matter if he was shown these spots by friends or of heard about them thru others he would go to the land owner and pay for exclusive rights to hunt so no one else would get the CW arties .

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have walked away from properties when the owner wanted to keep my finds no way id pay to hunt some where. Well I guess maybe one place, ld pay to hunt In Gettysburg.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I know they're alot of free places to hunt but I place an ad on craigslist. I have had some good response , recently contacted about civil war area a person has. Got me to thinking if people pay to go on hurt for the weekend two or three days what's the differents.

I don't like this idea, but it does bring up a question. Since you are paying them to hunt, do you get to keep ALL the finds? If not what kind of split will it be?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never pay a property owner to metal detect on their' property as that would set a precedence that can never be taken back and one which will only domino into other property owners charging fees and raising those fees! I will enter into an agreement in writing that whatever I find will be shared with the percentages clearly defined and the agreement with a copy to each party, signed and dated.

Frank

OP
OP
Gary1963

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea, I'm far from rich I work for a living. I wouldn't pay to hunt my neighbor's yard but if my ad generate a good lead on an historical property and I can barter with the landowner. If he wants a large fee I would organize a relic hunt for the weekend . I've seen this done in northern VA.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Better yet, say in your ad "Free metal cleaning from ground." Just keep all your finds and your helping the owner get rid of trash from their land.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also am against paying to hunt a private property, for reasons already stated.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At those DIV hunts that are done in Virginia that everyone talks about and lot of members here go too from all over the united states, the land owner of that farm has brought in well over $150,000.. Some serious money!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We sometimes setup group hunts with property owners that have large tracts of land. We give them a gate fee of $5-20 per person, and usually have 40-50 show up to hunt. We keep all the finds, the owner makes a few hundred $$ and we get to hunt virgin acreage for the day or weekend. One of the recent ones was on 440 acres with three old home sites dating to the late 1800s. We are in a large suburban area, so opportunities to hunt large tracts don't show up everyday. It's a little like a deer lease, day hunt, etc.

Wayne

www.metaldetetingstuff.com

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have paid 1 time to hunt a property it cost me $20 to hunt it. I was told allot of BS and it didnt pan out. Also I was told seeing I didnt find much I could go again by myself. I did that and the owner got mad cause I was there so I left. It wasnt worth it.
Now I have permission on another property and the owner said I want to split all the finds with you. I said ok no problem I just enjoy hunting for the fun of finding history. I have called him more than once to let him have his pick but he never has made time for us to meet but still lets me hunt his property. I dont know maybe he wanted to see if I was greedy and found out I wasnt. Id still let him look if he ever wants too. I havent found anything worth allot of money but have enjoyed the hunt.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea(pay for permission), have thought of it before but also do not want to see the trend produce some unforeseen side effects that might pinch off any what is left of 'free range' detecting in the greater public world. What is good for some is not good for others.

As a side note, I also thought of offering services, say for yard work or odd jobs in exchange for permission to dig. At least this might show that you are not just about flashing a little money in hopes to get bigger riches from them(as if they were your spring board). You wouldn't be treating them like a lottery ticket machine because should they accept, they are getting some real and valued help, which I think renders a better public and personal standing between you and them(less the impersonalites of being able to buy people off). However, there are a lot of variables and negative potentials in that method too, say if you did a few things like removed brush and mowed a lawn, then they changed their mind and told you to leave...no money, no digs...of course, some form of contractual agreement has to be understood and put into good terms and standing at the onset.

I recently got to dig a nice big old house. Though I knew the owner from many years ago, and he is easy going and nice, I had originally intended only to buy a few items from him that he was selling. Thereafter, I worked the conversation into detecting...and he obliged...all this of course was after I forwarded the money for the bought items, but just the same had nothing to do with or was in any way in relevance to sweetening my position to dig there...but i figured, i would throw the idea in anyway. But to my surprise their curiosity invited me more so than I had to labor to 'ask permission'. I guess you can't seem too eager.

Permission granted digs are probably proportional to the act of swinging the coil itself, sometimes you get something and sometimes you don't. Let me know, anyone, if you find the permission elixir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread