Penetanguishene Ontario the Jesuit chest in River Wye

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with you that a note would have been made of the loss.
But the loss would not have been made public.

It is a story. But having a Jesuit on the Baltic during a treasure hunt for something that was never lost makes no sense.
Spending the extra money to build a ceiling in the shape of an inverted canoe makes no financial sense.
Exiling Murray, the timing is coincidental.

View attachment 1896858

The Jesuits are not an easy study.
Not when they knew how to hold thier cards close when desired. Not only in a given region , but overall.
Kind of amazing the patient communication lines back then.
But they made do with what they had.

Outside of trying to create relatability with natives , that roof is quite the concept....

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
10000EBE-C72C-4112-93F0-19C1E3D61A55.jpeg

Few people have seen the original letter.

One report claims that it was one of seven steel boxes sent from France, filled with gold coin that was lost in that overturned canoe. Payment for soldiers guarding the missions.

Captain Carson was told where to search, then found and used a new, unorthodox technology to pinpoint the location.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
About halfway down the page is a mention of Father Felix Martin....That does not mean he was first on site after the mission was burned and abandoned by any means. But he was certainly looking for relics of one sort or another. The why of his effort could be a question.

Others followed in time poking around. Contention swirled about their (Wilfrid Jury's anyways) not making public the archeology.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ste-marie-among-the-hurons

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My recalling counts is subject to inaccuracy...But there was an early mention of eight soldiers. Then later 26 (?) And later six more were sent around the time of increased hostilities , or greater attention to hostilities.

I don't know the pay intervals or pay rates of the era , or if pay or a portion thereof could be diverted voluntarily elsewhere to know how much specie would likely exist in chests or other containers.
Seems it would be distributed upon arrival more than much in advance funds being forwarded to the mission and retained. A lead us into temptation thing...
But again , that's out of my little to no knowledge of payrolls back then.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
The technology Captain Carson was using undermines the discovery idea because of it not being “scientific”, although the technology can be explained with science. An open mind is need to appreciate this part of the story, but it is true. Except for the accuracy of the technology, which is accurate in story.

Hopefully enough time has passed to write about the inventor of the device that located Captain Carson’s rock.
The Captain financed his search and believed in the accuracy of the technology. That means he was duped or the device worked.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
The Jesuits are not an easy study.
Not when they knew how to hold thier cards close when desired. Not only in a given region , but overall.
Kind of amazing the patient communication lines back then.
But they made do with what they had.

Outside of trying to create relatability with natives , that roof is quite the concept....
“Kind of amazing the patient communication lines back then.”

I keep returning to this sentence.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Here is Captain Carson.
It’s not clear if these were taken on the Baltic or not.
551EE2BC-2964-4252-A9F6-6E06AB667D27.jpeg 2063622C-2493-47A2-B26F-76521864996A.jpeg 240D69A9-595A-4264-959F-8552A02BFC31.jpeg

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
This is the device that Captain Carson used to locate the lost chest.
This is where the story needs to be scrutinized.
The inventor and his assistant.

CE9852A6-3BBB-4A49-A521-69B11D7ABF67.jpeg

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
460B9710-7DAF-4153-AEC7-688E1FE41A1A.jpeg

Interesting to know where Jeffery’s device ended up. I would like to see it.

Newspapers reported that the church was heavily involved in Captain Carson’s search. All real people looking for something that shouldn’t be there.

If the story is true, the chest was either privately recovered, or it sits in the Wye, waiting for someone to discover it.

One of my favorite lost treasure stories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread