What's new

Penny (Blank?)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a very intersting piece I need some info on. This appears to be what was set to be a penny. I'm positive it is not worn. The diamater is the same of a new penny but totaly lacks any evidence of a strike in any way. It is copper and weighs the same as a new penny. It is not a knockout from an electrical box. So, are there "blanks drifting around out there? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00014.webp
    DSC00014.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC00015.webp
    DSC00015.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 548
Looks like a penny blank to me, check the weight to be sure. ADDED: I see you said it weighed the same. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Yes, blank planchets do exist. However they are not very valuable. Here's one of mine.
Scott
 

Attachments

  • IM002156.webp
    IM002156.webp
    8 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0
An old acquaintance of mine once had a box full of copper blanks, quarter size. We used to use them in toll booths, laundry, payphones and soda machines. He bought them for 5 cents each.
 
Upvote 0
I have quite a few wheat pennies that have one side so worn you cannot see anything, looks blank. For one to be this way on both sides is possible, but I would bet it is a little lighter than one with both sided readable. A 3 decimal place grams scale may be needed to see the difference.

Ed. D.
 
Upvote 0
A good 3 place gram scale is probably the best way to determine if it has been altered. If you have no access to a scale, another way to tell if it is just worn is to inspect the rim edge. My example had obviously went as far as the "rim forming machine" as the rim is "crisp" and intact.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
I looked in my old error book and I guess its possible to be a blank planchet.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-034S.webp
    MVC-034S.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 455
  • MVC-033S.webp
    MVC-033S.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Yes, cent blanks are found occasionally. I have found one MDing and got one in a change dish at a Circle K. So, now you have one too! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
I have a blank 19th century penny (probably an indian head)
 
Upvote 0
I'm curious. If it's blank how do you know the era? Seriously the composition of mine, when under tone of my detector, rang up as an Indian too. I can most always tell Indians from wheats
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom