Penny sized Indian Chief, ideas?

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new here and found this 5" down in the backyard of our 1960s suburban home. We have lived here for 15+ years and the previous owners were original. Before that the property was part of a farm.

There is no writing or identifying marks on it. Both sides are the identical indian cheif face. It's small, about 1 x 1/2 of an inch and it's about 1/4" thick. The metal was not corroded at all - I only wiped it with warm water and soap. I'm not sure what kind of metal it is but I'd expect it to have been corroded. It feels heavy. It seems too small and uninteresting to be for a child. It has no damage. It does not appear to have broken off another object. There is no eyelet so I don't think it's a pendant.

Anybody know what it is? Guesses?
indian pic 2.jpg

Thanks!
Fivey

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Fivey !! I apologize that while I cannot help you with the proper identification with this, but nevertheless, it is certainly an amazing find. Were there any other finds that day..like dated coins to give you an idea of the age of the area you are hunting? Also, any idea of the material it is made out of..and if there are any markings on the reverse side? Have you tried e-bay for similar pieces? Google? Thx for sharing..be patient, there are a LOT of intelligent, relic savvy peeps on this site and I am sure someone can i.d. it for you. Good luck! ddf

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this so I'm not great at guessing metal. It's heavy. It also feels hard. If it we not kind of a slight yellow tint I'd think it was silver. If it were brass or copper I'd have expected it to be oxidized because it was in a pretty wet area. Both sides are identical. There are no markings at all. I have not found anything older than the 1960s in the yard (I could be missing stuff, I'm new at this) but my neighbor did find a burried horseshoe and thimble next door.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Maybe. I don't know anything about conches. It's 2-sided, exactly the same as the side shown.

Upvote 0

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
i had a very similar looking flob on the zipper of a jacket from about 1970. Look close around the upper edge and see if you can find where it may have been connected.

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zipper part sounds like a match to me i miss read the post so my 1st thought is WRONG hahahah happy huntinn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the long delay in updating. There are no apparent marks that woudl indicate it broke off a zipper. The edges are smooth all around. The size might be concsistant with that, however. The opposite side is identical to this side. Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have seen that Indian face before. Zipper pull sounds like a good guess.

Look closer. It must have broken off somewhere.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know the back is the same but could we get a side view? The more pics the better you know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread