What's new

Percentage copper pennies?

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I did 200 dollars worth of pennies today and around here the coppers are running about 24.9% of the total.

That is, 75.1% are the zinc pennies.

Is that about average?
 
Upvote 0
placerman said:
I did 200 dollars worth of pennies today and around here the coppers are running about 24.9% of the total.
That is pretty good. In So CA my average was about 18-19%
 
With just over 3.8 million pennies searched in 2009 my average is about 21% + or - 1%

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
I've got about 600 $ worth of copper and I'm averaging right around 26% copper so I'd say those are good results
 
I've been down below 15% copper for the last 500,000 pennies. But was at 16.8% before that.

Both well below what you are talking about.

If it gets below 8% I'd quit using the Ryedale and close shop. And if I had the numbers of back east ... I'd be doing more. :-)
 
Yea, thats alot better than my average. I usually pull between 16%-21%, A few times alot more, and couple of times alot less. These numbers come from handrolled though. :thumbsup:
 
19.6% avg. here.
 
I average about 9% per box. How do you guys get really detailed percentages like 19.6
 
I use a speedsheet. If I search a box (2500) and get 599 coppers I log the numbers and the speedsheet tells me the results. 23.96% in this example. The spreedsheet keeps running totals so I could search millions and know the perscentages at any given point.
 
Hi,

My percentage is 17.17% for 50 boxes this year. Anything above 20%, I would say is excellent.

SilverMiser
 
Coins4Cheese said:
I average about 9% per box. How do you guys get really detailed percentages like 19.6

If you sort a lot of copper, it becomes apparent after the first few million.
Keep track for for few hundred boxes/bags with a spreadsheet and you should be able to predict wheats, 60's, 70's, 80's, canadians, IH's & copper %.
You should also be able to guess how many $ your penny dumps will be - accurate within $2 or so.
Pennies are pretty consistent compared to other coins.
 
i bought $16 in hand wrapped rolls from my bank.......half of the rolls were pure copper!! A good start to my hoard.....only have 14.5 lbs so far, but plan on building that up over the winter!!
 
I just got done sorting through a box over the last couple days and was able to re-roll 21 rolls of copper pennies.That comes out to about 42% copper pennies though my average has been consistently around 33% in previous rolls.

I sincerely doubt many people around here are hoarding copper or collecting coins at all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom