What's new

Perfectly round rock

jperegrine

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this nearly perfectly spherical rock by the side of the road in Springdale, Utah. It?s so marble-like that I questioned whether it was manmade for a bit. Is it just a curiosity or did I find something identifiable?

Thanks!
J Peregrine
 

Attachments

  • C7531635-4680-4A6B-BBBC-0967671FF4FA.webp
    C7531635-4680-4A6B-BBBC-0967671FF4FA.webp
    312.7 KB · Views: 102
Looks pecked into shape from that pic. I vote man made. I dont know by whom nor when.
 
Upvote 0
9E87ACBF-907E-4E9A-AD40-7FACE2EF4632.webpHere is an article I came across awhile back.
 
Upvote 0
It's a moqui marble. A harder concretion in sandstone that weathers out as a sphere. They are fairly common in the western plateaus.

There is a cliff near the village of Awat’ovi in the Hopi lands that sheds these marbles in quantity and of all sizes from bowling ball size and larger right down to pea size all in a big pile at the bottom of the cliff. Those are nearly white with just a tinge of yellow.
 
Upvote 0
A buddy of mine owns a gravel pit here in Ohio. He has a collection nearly perfectly round stones, most shaped by glacier movement. Mother Nature is a tricky one. Capable of making nearly anything. Killer stone!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, everyone! I LOVE forums like this for this sort of thing. I tried to figure it out on my own but got nowhere. Ask in a forum and you get the pros in the know! :-D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom