Perfectly round rock

jperegrine

Jun 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this nearly perfectly spherical rock by the side of the road in Springdale, Utah. It?s so marble-like that I questioned whether it was manmade for a bit. Is it just a curiosity or did I find something identifiable?

Thanks!
J Peregrine

Attachments

• C7531635-4680-4A6B-BBBC-0967671FF4FA.jpeg
    C7531635-4680-4A6B-BBBC-0967671FF4FA.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 64

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a moqui marble. A harder concretion in sandstone that weathers out as a sphere. They are fairly common in the western plateaus.

There is a cliff near the village of Awat’ovi in the Hopi lands that sheds these marbles in quantity and of all sizes from bowling ball size and larger right down to pea size all in a big pile at the bottom of the cliff. Those are nearly white with just a tinge of yellow.

Upvote 0

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine owns a gravel pit here in Ohio. He has a collection nearly perfectly round stones, most shaped by glacier movement. Mother Nature is a tricky one. Capable of making nearly anything. Killer stone!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jperegrine

Jun 27, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everyone! I LOVE forums like this for this sort of thing. I tried to figure it out on my own but got nowhere. Ask in a forum and you get the pros in the know! :-D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread