What's new

Perfume Bottle Chain?

OneWetKnee

Full Member
Joined
May 26, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
220
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I got to poking around my usual spot on my family's land and got a decent hit in the water a foot or two off shore. I started using my foot to stir the water to remove the top silt. I got pretty damn excited to see bright shiny silver glinting back at me! I thought I found silver chain-mail or something amazing.... until I picked it up and saw it was plated brass I assume. I think it may be a Perfume Bottle Chain... but really have no idea of age.

Thank you all for help identifying in advance! You have never let me down yet :)

HH!!

IMG_2327.webpIMG_2324.webpIMG_2325.webpIMG_2326.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 10
maybe a chainmail (male?) purse?

I thought that as well for a minute, until I noticed the top has a hinged cap, and the plated neck is too narrow to remove anything but a liquid.. which lead me to the perfume idea.
 
No clue...cool find though.
 
When GioTheGreek sent me the pic, I mentioned to him that if I had to guess, I'd say perfume bottle decorative chain. I'm still keeping my guess as is, and hope you can get a positive ID. It's a really neat piece!
 
haha! Yeah GioTheGreek is usually I send the first pic too for IDs! Usually within 5 mins of the find :)
 
Looks like an old coin purse. i think the area around the top widens out to get stuff inside then narrows when you squeeze it.
 
Victorian *** toy, works like a Chinese finger trap.
 
haha! Yeah GioTheGreek is usually I send the first pic too for IDs! Usually within 5 mins of the find :)

And then he sends them to me lmao. I do the same to him. It's a great system :)
 
Looks like an old coin purse. i think the area around the top widens out to get stuff inside then narrows when you squeeze it.

You get the solve! That is exactly what it is! 1800s Gate Top Beggars Miser Chain Mail Mesh Purse. I found a couple of examples.

a577bcae912728084e2f2dddb2a0fd42.webp7cd03f805dcf4e956953ae384db02623.webp5f51e408ff5f63b6dc132ff814cb158f.webp
 
Wow great job on the ID!! That's awesome!
 
That's a cool find!
 
Now to detect that area for the coins that broke through 200 years ago lol.
 
Awesome ID and find! I thought it was a Victorian bass lure....Sub 8-)
 
Always wanted to find one of those, good luck finding anything that could have been in it!
 
i was thinking it went around a whiskey flask, but a coin purse seems logical also.
 
Actually looking at the pic again, I think it is also a Chatalaine, a sort of belt purse that ladies would clip on to hold personal items. Very, very nice find.
 
Actually looking at the pic again, I think it is also a Chatalaine, a sort of belt purse that ladies would clip on to hold personal items. Very, very nice find.

I have been trying to re link some of the loops, it seems almost fully intact. There is maybe a square inch missing. Would you know roughly what year it was in fashion?
 
I have been trying to re link some of the loops, it seems almost fully intact. There is maybe a square inch missing. Would you know roughly what year it was in fashion?

I would guess 1870's to 1900.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom