Personality Disorders

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm nearing 60 years old and I am a US Army MP Veteran.

I am familiar with all weapons, having fired most, including LAW's, thrown a few hand grenades and have respected them all of my life.
From the time my Father and I went squirrel hunting when I was 5-6 years old and I learned to sight an open .22 rifle,
I earned Military decorations for weaponry.

I have been a Volunteer Mentor for Veterans Court for nearly 3 years and currently mentor 6 Vets.
I have had moments in my life that I didn't think that I could bear but through self perseverance and talking with Friends, I made it.

When I turned 50, I went to College and earned a Degree in Psychology that has enabled me to help others.

Only recently I obtained a weapons permit to carry.
I had to fill out Federal forms, provide an FBI background check, submit fingerprints and communicate with the Judge to obtain my permit.
And I carry....

0nly one of the reasons that I carry.....

There is NO reason to preclude a Veteran from owning a weapon or obtaining a permit merely because they "may have" PTSD.

Sometimes, a Vet, like many other members of society, are just having a bad time in their life and are NOT experiencing a mental disorder that some, whom are not qualified to judge, would proclaim to be a danger or a threat.

Every Vet that I've ever counselled and/or mentored have never exhibited homicidal tendencies.
Unfortunately, a few have required counselling for suicidal thoughts....

Which leads back to the problem of accessible VA outreach assistance, of which I have met with my Congressman on several occasions.

The VA Crisis Line is manned 24/7.
If you or someone you know needs help, Please call this number:

(888) 640-5443.

My Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not read all 7 pages but the OP seems to think that stealing/confiscating someones personal property, inanimate objects, will prevent a bad or crazy person from doing bad things. He is 100% wrong because they will always find a way to do whatever bad things they plan on doing whether its driving a car through a crowd, riding a bicycle down a crowded sidewalk slashing people with a kitchen knife (this was on the news this week) or beating someone with their bare hands or countless other cowardly acts, they cannot be stopped.

BTW I know of plenty of vets getting "treatment" for ptsd and the drugs are doing more harm than good. But the doctors have an agenda of some sort and helping the vets is not part of the agenda, only doping them up with endless drugs....

When the VA is staffed 100% vets is when I will trust them. Currently they hire people who are not qualified to work as docs in private practice

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not read all 7 pages but the OP seems to think that stealing/confiscating someones personal property, inanimate objects, will prevent a bad or crazy person from doing bad things. He is 100% wrong because they will always find a way to do whatever bad things they plan on doing whether its driving a car through a crowd, riding a bicycle down a crowded sidewalk slashing people with a kitchen knife (this was on the news this week) or beating someone with their bare hands or countless other cowardly acts, they cannot be stopped.

BTW I know of plenty of vets getting "treatment" for ptsd and the drugs are doing more harm than good. But the doctors have an agenda of some sort and helping the vets is not part of the agenda, only doping them up with endless drugs....

When the VA is staffed 100% vets is when I will trust them. Currently they hire people who are not qualified to work as docs in private practice

Those drugs will leave you permanently screwed. Especially if you take an SSRI.
Good luck ever achieving happiness after having been on an SSRI.
Your depression will be far worse than what you started with because your mind got used to that elevated serotonin level.
Life after SSRI or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are the Devil!

BC

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I only read the first page and read that differently than you did. I may misunderstand what the OP was saying. I took it as he has a "Duty" to go to the step of confiscation, or notify authorities if someone tells him they are going to commit suicide or kill others. I see what you are saying, but it's not really up to him completely. Take this into consideration, someone tells him they are going to kill themselves or someone else. If the OP did nothing? I'm not sure of laws but it may hold him somewhat responsible for not acting. I'm not sure how that works.

On the same topic, I had a friend that told me she was going to kill herself. I called crisis center, I called the police......They could do nothing! Because she wouldn't admit to them what she told me. She ended up killing herself. So, most time they don't (or didn't in the past) just show up and take guns. I have a family member that went to his Church and told the Preacher he was going to kill his family and himself. Of coarse the Preacher called the police. What should a Dr., Preacher or anyone do if this type of thing happens? The scary thing about this is...What are the lines? I am very Pro-second Amendment and Rights. But this is a gray area. I just hope it never turns into an excuse to push an agenda or belief.

Interesting,scary,confusing topic.....

Ok, I have no background in anything. I just think I read that first page different. :dontknow: It's not that it's going to stop them, it's just one little step in trying to give a break, buy time, distract, etc... If they would have taken my friends gun? It may have bought a little time. Or she may have done it anyhow. There is no way of knowing. I also have mixed feelings on that too, of what should be done. I really don't think there is an answer.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was afraid of this.. I didn't really want to bump this knowing Doc is MIA would probably be challenged by others.
I read all the posts.
I agree with you Nitric that he has a "duty" He exercised his duties and shouldn't be attacked for it.
If you would have had the ability like that to help stop your friend, you would have.
I'd hope that any of you would do the same.
I've helped disarm many who Edgelord around the internet.
I'm not a doctor, but if someone makes threats...We all are duty bound as citizens to take action.

BC

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was afraid of this.. I didn't really want to bump this knowing Doc is MIA would probably be challenged by others.
I read all the posts.
I agree with you Nitric that he has a "duty" He exercised his duties and shouldn't be attacked for it.
If you would have had the ability like that to help stop your friend, you would have.
I'd hope that any of you would do the same.
I've helped disarm many who Edgelord around the internet.
I'm not a doctor, but if someone makes threats...We all are duty bound as citizens to take action.

BC

That shows you how much I was paying attention...I didn't even realize this was from 2013.:laughing7: Either way....still interesting topic. And this could go in so many different directions it's one of those never ending "what ifs" or "who is labeling or has the power.......". This is the only profession where you can be treated without consent, lose your rights", by someone else in authority. I just hope their power stays in check. I noticed some things that the OP, or maybe by definition is considered a type of mental illness. Some of that stuff goes by the beliefs of the Dr. or whoever in the panel decides what is "mental illness". I mean technically.....Believing in God is a "mental illness" to someone else.....Or the "fear" of guns in Society, or ...........I know there are extremes that are always defined. But I do agree with the OP on the idea that the term gets thrown around. Our media has done a good job of that and using it to discredit or make someone appear insane. :laughing7: We are all crazies!! If I could figure out my own brain then I could help others. Ohhhh, Wait? That's where most become interested in this field.:laughing7: Not all, but a high percentage(from what the text books say).

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experiences with mentoring and counselling, I have found it to be important to first build a trust and rapport.
I always say that if they talk about hurting themself or others, I WILL take appropriate action.
I want them to know that I am honest, can be trusted and am always concerned for their well-being.

Sometimes the problems that seem insurmountable to them are easily solved by talking about various options that they may not have considered.
Oftentimes, the problems they might face are not really problems, but, through external stressors, and no one to discuss it with, the problems become magnified in their life. All they need is someone to help them defeat the "enemies" they may perceive, whether it is financial, drug or alcohol abuse or even just plain feeling all alone and having no "allies."
Humans, by nature, are social beings, and the loss of connection with others, especially those whom share empathy, can have negative effects.

Many times I find myself guiding others towards Volunteering. Whether it is at the local Animal Shelter, Religious based Rescue Centers or any other organizations that they suggest. In doing so, I show them that they are valuable. Not to just their Friends, Family and others...But also to THEMSELF!

Hope All are Well.

Scott

Last edited:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispan Thank you for trying to give a rational insight to what is an extremely difficult and sensitive subject .The system in place today wants quick and easy answers to something that does not lend itself to that result .Thanks for trying to inform those that do not know but think it is a one size fits all problem .. There is much that I also do not know .But I have seen how people that need help end up getting labeled without getting help

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help is always just a Friend away.
A Friend is always there when you need them.
A Friend will never be too busy for you.
A Friend understands what you are going through.
A Friend will drop everything to be there.
A Friend is all you need in times of difficulties.
Choose your Friends wisely.....

Many call me their Friend.

You can also call me your Friend.
I'll be there for you.
Call upon me.....
I am here for you.
PM me in confidence.

Scott

Last edited:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experiences with mentoring and counselling, I have found it to be important to first build a trust and rapport.
I always say that if they talk about hurting themself or others, I WILL take appropriate action.
I want them to know that I am honest, can be trusted and am always concerned for their well-being.

Scott

If the problem is the individual than take care of the individual and stay away from their personal property

Nobody will be able to stop them from driving a vehicle into a crowd

Nobody will be able to stop them from driving a bycycle down a crowded sidewalk and slashing people with a kitchen knife like happened a few weeks ago

There are countless other examples if youre open minded enough to look for them and then understand no-one can stop a bad person from doing bad things, they will always find a way...

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If the problem is the individual than take care of the individual and stay away from their personal property

Nobody will be able to stop them from driving a vehicle into a crowd

Nobody will be able to stop them from driving a bycycle down a crowded sidewalk and slashing people with a kitchen knife like happened a few weeks ago

There are countless other examples if youre open minded enough to look for them and then understand no-one can stop a bad person from doing bad things, they will always find a way...

Troy knows how to deal with it!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently witnessing a situation with a family member that is now entangled in one of the Laws that allow someone to call in to the Authorities and tell the Authorities that this person is doing something wrong and the Authorities came down on her and have CRUSHED HER!

This is a case where someone decided to hurt this family member but it could and has happened to non-family members where Someone calls in a complaint and with ZERO background checks to confirm or deny the complaint The Authorities to support the informant have CRUSHED THE ACCUSED VICTIM without any proof whatsoever! Zero proof, Zero investigation and Bingo an innocent person has their life DESTROYED.

Be careful what laws you support as they can be turned against all of us!.........63bkpkr

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently witnessing a situation with a family member that is now entangled in one of the Laws that allow someone to call in to the Authorities and tell the Authorities that this person is doing something wrong and the Authorities came down on her and have CRUSHED HER!

This is a case where someone decided to hurt this family member but it could and has happened to non-family members where Someone calls in a complaint and with ZERO background checks to confirm or deny the complaint The Authorities to support the informant have CRUSHED THE ACCUSED VICTIM without any proof whatsoever! Zero proof, Zero investigation and Bingo an innocent person has their life DESTROYED.

Be careful what laws you support as they can be turned against all of us!.........63bkpkr

It is unfortunate but the worst sort of people among us are learning how easy it is to use the law to wreak havoc on the innocent.
You can anonymously and falsely cause a Swat team to surround a home with a deadly outcome, or cause someone to lose their children.
Be careful who you associate with, especially as it appears humans are devolving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread