Pestle or Not?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock today in the yard of an 1816 house in southwest Virginia. The house is sitting on a flat rise about 100 ft from a small creek. In other words, the house is sitting on a perfect place for a campsite around here. Do you great masters and gurus believe that this rock is a pestle or not. My pictures show the size and both ends. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone back and forth on this. I have a couple that are very similar but show definite wear. That is why I asked the experts. Thanks

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape does looks right, and it does look like it has been weather eroded down quite a bit.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
In many places there wouldn't be a natural rock like that, so it would almost certainly be something (carried in, if nothing else.) In other places rocks like that are more normal, and it might be something, or might not be anything.

Most pestles/manos show a lot of smoothing and wear, even when eroded you should still see some flattened spots. I think I see those on the ends.

Is the material crumbly or particularly soft? Unless you want a lot of grit in your food, most pestles/manos are made of harder rocks or sandstone.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the material crumbly or particularly soft? Unless you want a lot of grit in your food, most pestles/manos are made of harder rocks or sandstone.

No, it's hard and quite heavy, fits naturally in the hand.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker ADS and I were hunting this site together. The property and 1816 house is owned by a local historical site. Everything found is being donated to them.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. A pestle is indicative of a village or extended camp site. You should also find some potsherds, chips, worked material in addition to that if that's the case. They would use some substandard materials for grinding materials if they couldn't get better, and there was a lot of grit in food, particularly in SW Oklahoma in the Plains Village era, where they had to use a lot of sandrock material. In burials you would see evidence of that on the teeth, appearing ground down smoothly, even to some extent on younger individuals.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, This whole site is in grass. The "pestle" was found on top of the ground where they had just removed a porch from the old house. Around here if you find a flat spot near a creek, it is most likely a camp because we don't have many natural flat spots. I am looking forward to seeing the ground under the parts of the house that will be torn down.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, that makes it difficult. Anyway, a pestle and your description of the location makes it pretty likely to be an occupation site, and I hope you're right on the scene when they tear that house down. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread