Pet Treasure Projects

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Everything Else we tend to laugh and cutup a lot, but I'm curious to know how many of you have one or more of those pet project treasure mysteries/adventures that you're actually pursuing? And I'm not talking about beaches and parks or tot-lots, but rather "individual treasures or caches" that you puruse seriously? Not asking for any specifics, just curious to know how many of you have a lesser spoken serious treasure hunting side. Me, I have 3 and possibly a forth I'm looking into.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never actively pursued a cache, buried/sunken treasure, hidden loot, secret caves, etc.
The reason why is simple. First, I firmly believe MOST of these stories are hogwash written purely to sell more treasure magazines. Second, even if they WERE factual, they were probably found already. And finally, if indeed the lead is a good one, the reason it's probably never been located as of yet is possibly because it's so difficult to find. Which means, too much work for me.

Honestly, I have a hard enough time finding silver nowadays. I certainly wouldn't put a cache or a hoard back in the hole if I found one, but, in terms of actively searching for one, not anytime soon.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where we live, there is this one park that Chug keeps hitting, hoping for gold. He has found gold at all the parks and beaches he has hit, but for this one park, so it's his project, til he finds gold!!! He is stubborn, and has been hitting this park for over a year, and knows he will get lucky soon!!!! Red ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is too easy. Just hunted a cache once, didn't find it, it look that hard either.. Maybe just a story like 1/2 of them, old lady buried gold coins in a sock and house burnt down, Passadena, NJ.. I think you have better luck stumbling on to something that doesn't have a story behind it. Then again, I take this hobby as seriously as I take everything else in life. :laughing9:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, Gentlemen, does this partially answer your question?

One mule load of 8.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• 8 Reales from a  treasure.jpg
    8 Reales from a treasure.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 188
  • recovered mule train  1800\'s.jpg
    recovered mule train 1800\'s.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 8 Reales from a  treasure.jpg
    8 Reales from a treasure.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 183
  • recovered mule train  1800\'s.jpg
    recovered mule train 1800\'s.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 156
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kintucky It is too late for you and I, but pass this potentially horrible danger on in order to save someone else that is dreaming of a life of adventure and treasure hunting.. This cost me my land grant on the upper headwaters of the Amazon in Brazil, sniff

Be forewarned !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

K

Kentucky Kache

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Kintucky It is too late for you and I, but pass this potentially horrible danger on in order to save someone else that is dreaming of a life of adventure and treasure hunting.. This cost me my land grant on the upper headwaters of the Amazon in Brazil, sniff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTUOfINPdw

Be forewarned !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

:D

If we men could only be that smart.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at how many members there are on tnet and also consider how many treasure hunters there are in general who AREN'T on tnet, that's a whole lot of folks in the hobby. I would venture to say that less than 1% has ever found a "true" cache. When I say true, I mean something worthwhile. Rare. Valuable. Not a mason jar of marbles, a can filled with quarters. etc.

So, it goes to show that 99% of all of the efforts to locate these hidden treasures are fruitless. Yes, it DOES happen as we all know. But, I truly think that of the 1% that does indeed find a cache, probably half of them are located through sheer luck.

Maybe - M-A-Y-B-E - if one had the time to devote seriously to the pursuit of locating hidden treasure they might be successful. However, it takes years sometimes to piece all of the facts together, traveling funds, buying sometimes expensive equipment, working in dangerous conditions of all kinds, etc. To POSSIBLY find something.

If you love this hobby - as I do - just do some basic research and then get out and swing. No pressure and a LOT more fun.

BTW, I sometimes wonder this...

If I did indeed find a valuable cache one day, it would almost ruin the hobby for me. Would digging merc dimes and wheaties still give that thrill? Probably not. Just as with women, half the fun of this hobby is in the pursuit or hunt itself :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

njnydigger said:
If you look at how many members there are on tnet and also consider how many treasure hunters there are in general who AREN'T on tnet, that's a whole lot of folks in the hobby. I would venture to say that less than 1% has ever found a "true" cache. When I say true, I mean something worthwhile. Rare. Valuable. Not a mason jar of marbles, a can filled with quarters. etc.

So, it goes to show that 99% of all of the efforts to locate these hidden treasures are fruitless. Yes, it DOES happen as we all know. But, I truly think that of the 1% that does indeed find a cache, probably half of them are located through sheer luck.

Maybe - M-A-Y-B-E - if one had the time to devote seriously to the pursuit of locating hidden treasure they might be successful. However, it takes years sometimes to piece all of the facts together, traveling funds, buying sometimes expensive equipment, working in dangerous conditions of all kinds, etc. To POSSIBLY find something.

If you love this hobby - as I do - just do some basic research and then get out and swing. No pressure and a LOT more fun.

BTW, I sometimes wonder this...

If I did indeed find a valuable cache one day, it would almost ruin the hobby for me. Would digging merc dimes and wheaties still give that thrill? Probably not. Just as with women, half the fun of this hobby is in the pursuit or hunt itself :thumbsup:

The first part of your post questions cache hunting, and the second part of your post explains it. It's the thrill of the hunt, with the possibility of finding something that makes it worth it. You have to feel it, I guess.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI All: First let me clear something up. I have just as much fun finding a flint and steel fire starting kit , which I did the other day, as that mule train load. Each and every find is part of history that "I" (You) are participating in. Each find has it's own unique history, perhaps not world shaking, but just as true as finding Troy. Never depreciate 'any' find of the past. This includes tomorrows' archaeological finds of the few remaining specimens of our lovely pull tabs and pop tops - ugh.

That picture of the 8 reales was posted in answer to those that don't believe that there are still many undiscovered caches. However I equate that to an Archaeologist discovering another Troy to another one that spends years sifting through debris from the past, both sites are important.

Who knows , tomorrow you may turn up the key to an Archaeologists dream, or at least yours.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread