What's new

Pewter Cup.. age?

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I've had this pewter cup on my mantel for a few years now. I think I got it at an estate sale. It is about 3" tall and 2" across. Stamped "1333" The bottom is a little banged up but I'm not too fussy - I like it anyway!

Thanks for any info - date est., where made etc. ;D

s0wpbb.jpg


2j2iazr.jpg


66ytrt.jpg
 
The style of the engraving makes me think Aesthetic going into Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau, i.e. 1870-1890.

Technically, it's "Britannia," the pewter alloy commonly used after c. 1800. Not English, not German. Probably a large American maker, who sold to retailers, which is why there is no name on it. That's my hunch anyway.
 
Upvote 0
It's not too unlike this one:
 

Attachments

  • cup.webp
    cup.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Lucas!

Thanks Creskol :icon_thumleft:- that does look like it! Cool. I wonder if it could be that old?
 
Upvote 0
I'm checking this - Happy I posted it ;D Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey Bramble, looks like a good ID, but whatever it is, It's a pretty cool thing to have! Nice mug! :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • il_fullxfull.75380997.webp
    il_fullxfull.75380997.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom