DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrong kind of attachment for a hat or shako badge IMO. Also seems a bit small. I'm guessing it was mounted on leather. Maybe a cartridge box plate?

Cool find whatever it is!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matt~Klein

Matt~Klein

Greenie
Jan 25, 2021
Savannah Georgia
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ORX / Tesoro Bandito II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
il_794xN.2201022472_4g2h.jpg

I believe it like this one only way earlier ... this one is brass and when all intact you can see its def a hat badge

Also note on the back of mine the small brass hook ... too little for leather its just a spike in attachment

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s definitely not from the Revolutionary War. The styling of our Royal coat of arms has undergone several changes over the years. What can be said for certain is the arrangement of three English lions in the first and fourth quarters, the Scottish lion in the second quarter and the Welsh harp in the third quarter cannot be earlier than 1801.

There’s not enough of it left to put a firm date to it but, from 1801-1837, the Royal arms also included an ‘inescutcheon’ (a coat of arms within a coat of arms) for the House of Hanover… like this:

Royal Arms.jpg

The inescutcheon was removed when Victoria came to the throne in 1837 since, as a woman, she was not entitled to those privileges as Head of State. Semi-Salic law prevented females from inheriting the Hanoverian throne while a dynastic male was still alive and so the title (together with the use of the armorial) passed to her uncle, Ernest Augustus. Whatever the badge might be, I would suggest it’s Victorian or later.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that’s the general Royal arms emblem Don, but the problem is that it saw wide usage over a long period, for general service cap badges and other purposes.

It’s the details that are important. For the picture you posted, the arrangements of the charges in the quarters again say that one can’t be before 1801 and the absence of the Hanoverian inescutcheon puts it after 1837. Then, in addition, you can narrow the date down further from the style of the crown surmounting the armorial. It’s what we call the “Edwardian” crown which was the choice for Queen Elizabeth II, so for the example you’re showing, that puts it 1953 or later. You can use these crown styles as a general guide to dating many British official insignia:

Crowns.jpg

With so much of the OP’s item missing, it’s not possible to be more specific about the date or purpose, other than “Victorian or later”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not convinced it is a hat badge or even military.

Google 'British coat of arms brooch'. You'll see some examples from WWI and WWII.

Vintage-Silver-Plated-Dieu-Et-Mon-Droit-Stieff.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matt~Klein

Matt~Klein

Greenie
Jan 25, 2021
Savannah Georgia
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ORX / Tesoro Bandito II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
least that one looks like pewter... however the difference there is mine doesn't have a pin but a bent over piece of brass like attachment and mine has separations between the top and the crown that is missing on9114__1.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt-Klein, I don't think it's going to be possible to reliably identify or date. There's too much of it missing. Maybe you don't realise just how many purposes there were for our Royal coat of arms (official and otherwise) in various badge-like forms. My opinion stands that it's not earlier than Victorian, based on the style of the arms (and can't possibly be earlier than 1801 because that particular armorial didn't exist prior to that date).

The only other thing I would offer is that the workmanship of the representation looks to be of poor quality execution. The engraving of the mould or stamp from which it was produced is crude. That in itself doesn't mean it wasn't produced for some official use, but it does rather point against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look good enough quality for a military piece.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread