What's new

PHILA 1832 - coin? token? button?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I was out digging today on an old homesite that has given up goodies from the early/mid 1700s to the 1830s. I am not sure if this is a coin or a token or a button, but from the appearance I am going to guess button. The back is smooth, but there is a mark where a shank may have been. The button? is 13mm in diameter. Cleaning thus far has been minimal at best.

Any constructive ideas or input is welcome.
Thank you,
Anthony
 

Attachments

  • phila front.webp
    phila front.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 365
  • phila back.webp
    phila back.webp
    38 KB · Views: 329
jrsherman said:
Well, oddly enough, I may have found the answer to your "Medal" in a treasurenet article. . .Check this out, a little down the page. . .http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200108.htm and it came from a google search no less. . .looks pretty darn close to me bud!

Good work!

I also found one online... It's a U.S. MINT PHILADELPHIA 1832 LORD'S PRAYER TOKEN FOB

PHILA12.jpg
PHILA9.jpg
 
Upvote 0
That sure looks close as hell. It does not list a size other than it being small. I did a bit of sleuthing too and found another close match. The size for the one in this link is larger than the coin I found however. Good detail on the close up photo on this page.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/u-s-mint-phila-1832-pictures-mint-building

I think that nails down the "what is it?" Now the question is when would this particular coin be made? The link you gave said 115-125 years for the coin in that article, but, my coin appears yellow with glints of gilt while that coin had no coating I could see. The one in my link shows gilding but it is the wrong size.

Gettin closer, and an awesome find in any reguard.
Anthony
 
Upvote 0
The link I found gave it a size of 1/2", which on a micrometer reads almost 13mm, so I think it's about the same. It also said earliest this was claimed to be made was 1876, so I think it's spot on. As far as the gilt stuff goes, you know how everything else we find is pretty crappy alltold lol, so I'm going to blame it on my usual soil condition!!

Nice find, even if it points out the fact that we're missing a large timeframe for what we've found there. . .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom