Photobucket is holding my images hostage ...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, they were ... I'm just moving them to my personal web server.

Problem is, all my old images that were used for posts here are no longer accessible, and they were linked from Photobucket instead of uploading them here. If you can't view images in some posts, that's why.

Just in case anyone wonders, for $5.99/mo (lowest rate on Photobucket) I could get a couple terrabytes of space on a web server and charge other folks to host theirs, maybe host a couple of websites for pay. So as far as I'm concerned, they can take a hike.

Quite greedy since Photobucket floods you with ads on top of everything. They promise they'll disappear after you subscribe, but I doubt they will. Others have done the same, but the ads still flood their pages. Sorry, I don't need any feminine hygeine products, viagara, miracle cures, fidget spinners or the rest of the lot. If I did, I'd go looking for it.

Oh well, all good things must come to an end.

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad to hear that the "hostage" situation has been resolved and all have been released Lol! :laughing7: That's what they all do. They start out letting everyone upload images for free and once they have reached their pre-planned numbers, the hammer comes down and they start charging. Good for you because a lot of people will just give in and get robbed and continue to be because they have used these services to upload to forums, etc. online and they don't want them to suddenly disappear.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, so here is a test ... already got the space, installed a program that works like photobucket ...

Let's see if it's as good:

squirrel-2330520_1920.jpg

Can you see my little model? This crazy squirrel will follow me around when I'm in the garden taking pics.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So glad to hear that the "hostage" situation has been resolved and all have been released Lol! :laughing7: That's what they all do. They start out letting everyone upload images for free and once they have reached their pre-planned numbers, the hammer comes down and they start charging. Good for you because a lot of people will just give in and get robbed and continue to be because they have used these services to upload to forums, etc. online and they don't want them to suddenly disappear.

Yes, I had been suspecting something was up when the volume of spam in my email from Photobucket exploded and they started with the popups.

Ah, it's okay. They were getting some clicks from hosting my images ... now they won't.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, works great. Good quality photo!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've clicked on a number of photos published by other members here, and get the PhotoBucket message from them that the poster is no longer subscribed. Looks like it's a money grab!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found out about this a week ago. Old news stories about this made it sound like they were targeting online sellers (eBay) who were using their services to make money.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several hundred photos in photobucket, but have copies on a thumb drive.

Marvin
PS, I don't think you can get your pictures back as copies. I tried click and drag to desktop but the pic on the desktop would revert back to Photobucket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I found out about this a week ago. Old news stories about this made it sound like they were targeting online sellers (eBay) who were using their services to make money.

Well, as a web designer, I can tell you EMPHATICALLY, that is a lie. Why? It's a simple matter to forbid one domain or one thousand domains from pulling images from your servers.

If you were in China and tried to access my web domain, you would see nothing but a page telling you that the nation of China was banned from my domain due to the attacks on my site, spam in my forums, etc.

There is also a guy from Brazil who caused everyone with an "atthisdomain.br" address to be banned from our racing forums.

It was a money grab, and not a very nice one at that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have several hundred photos in photobucket, but have copies on a thumb drive.

Marvin
PS, I don't think you can get your pictures back as copies. I tried click and drag to desktop but the pic on the desktop would revert back to Photobucket.

Should be able to right click on the image and select "Save Image As" or "Open With" (my preference) and then save with a new name.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine as well.

B' Bye Photobucket. Hello Imgur.

Can't really complain because it was free. I just had to suffer through pop ups - but I had most blocked and they didn't like that, either. Got so it was locking up. So I figured it was the end of our relationship.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butthole move on PhotoBuckets behalf. Their only plan that allows for "3rd party hosting" is $400 a year, I suspect people will be leaving in droves and this will be the death of PhotoBucket.

TheLocKing

Greenie
Jul 17, 2017
Manchester
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen this come up on a few other forums i'm part of. Big mistake on photobucket's part, can see them losing a lot of trade now.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Photobucket, Imgur and all the other "free" image hosting sites have essentially the same terms. That being "we own your pictures when you upload them" and "you don't have a right to link to our images". That last one is why Photobucket won't let you use their pictures (used to be yours) without paying them for the privilege.

From the Imgur terms you agreed to:

you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to Imgur pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content Imgur has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense.

don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network

That's lawyer speak for "We own your stuff now and you can't use our stuff for forums, eBay, websites or anything else without paying us".

There is no such thing as a free lunch folks. That's particularly true on the internet. Imgur, Facebook, Google and all the rest offer the same flavor of "free" as Photobucket does. The only real question is how long before they send you the bill. The longer they wait the less likely you are to have a backup copy and the more likely you will be willing to pay up to get "your" stuff back. Photobucket couldn't wait any longer.

Read the small print before you eat the free lunch. :BangHead:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a 4TB external drive. I load ALL pics and lots of other stuff onto it. I don't want my stuff floating around in never never land. ╦╦Ç

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep! Bye bye photobucket! Having my photos ripped and not left in place is Not what I signed up for.
I'm :walk:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deleted my account yesterday. I rarely used it the last 3 years, almost forgot about it. May affect a few ancient forums but oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread