Pic of new presidential coin

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think the next coin in the series will be known as "The Ron Jeremy dollar" Thats the first thing I thought of after looking at the picture of the Adams coin.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have heard that the Goverment wants to get rid of dollar bills in the future and use the Dollar coin instead. May happen sooner than you think.

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
swingingmydfx said:
I have heard that the Goverment wants to get rid of dollar bills in the future and use the Dollar coin instead. May happen sooner than you think.

I'd be fine with that if they's give us a good looking dollar coin that had some character. First of all, there needs to be no way it can be mistaken for a quarter. It needs to be heavier, bigger, and thicker. The British pound coin shown below might be a good model.

1983poundcoinedgesdecusettutamen240.jpg

Attachments

• 1983poundcoinedgesdecusettutamen240.jpg
    1983poundcoinedgesdecusettutamen240.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 356

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic_hunter1557 said:
Well alongside this they are making gold first ladies. For the presidents who didn't have a wife they are putting the liberty design that was on the coin at the time.
I think it's funny that they are issuing 1/2 ounce,24k gold coins with the spouses on them,and then they issue these cheap butt ugly token dollars for general circulation.What a joke.These things are pathetic looking.Not to mention,the rolls i've opened and examined,the coins look like they've been through a war already,the edges are beat to he!! and back,fresh from the mint! What are they gonna look like once they've circulated for a mere year even!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your all missing the piont....the mint doesn't make enough money (that makes sense :P ) to keep itself operational. After the huge success with state quarters, they figured they would try something else- presidents. With a higher denomination, they can charge a much higher price for mint cents and other related items. By making this new coin, they creat a need in collectors that only they can fill.

Also, the reason the SBA failed was becasue it was the same size and COLOR as the quarter.

It does look a bit cheesy, but we'll get used to it like canadians and the loon dollar ;)

HH
-GC

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I got one today out of a vending machine. It looks cheap and poorly thought out. Don't like it one bit, but I'll throw it in an envelope and seal it up and pass it on to my kids...poor souls...

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
swingingmydfx said:

Isn't paper currency much cheaper to make than coins?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You would think so, but I think the metal value in this coin is a lot cheaper than running a bill through 5 or more processes. ???

Just a guess. I know they're pretty cheap though.

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
The coin is so freakin' ugly, nobody will probably want to save them. Watch them be the next big collectable.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
swingingmydfx said:

Isn't paper currency much cheaper to make than coins?
Yes it is.See reply number 12-http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,70055.0.html.But as goldinmypan points out, the paper currency doesn't last nearly as long as the metal coinage.Although I doubt these new dollars will be identifiable after 30 years in real circulation.The rolls i've went through are pretty beat up already for being "fresh from the mint." They look AU already. ???

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
goldgrubber said:
The coin is so freakin' ugly, nobody will probably want to save them. Watch them be the next big collectable.

They sure are....look like a cheap Mardi-Gras token or something. :P

C

Coincollector22

In my opinion, the coin looks quite nice. I plan on collecting these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread