Picking up an Ace250 in a few hours...but

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
FINALLY biting the bullet after 2 years of putting it off...the wife and I are saving for a house now so I don't really want to spend more than the 200-300 that the Ace250 will cost me at hobbytown here in Atlanta (depending if I get the "jumbo" pkg with the extra coil, bag, headphones, bottle opener, sunroof, cupholder, etc)

I will be mostly using this for relic hunting some local private CW camp sites I've found ...

WIll I be good to go out of the box (of course iwll take time to learn the machine)..or should I opt for a different coil...is the factory one sufficient for the type of soil down here?

Thanks!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Being that you are relic hunting, you also want to maximize your depth. The 8.5" x 11" ACE PROformance™ DD Searchcoil or 9" x 12" will squeeze a little more depth for you. Have you also checked out the new ACE 350? It was designed with relic hunting in mind with it's expanded iron.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ace_250_searchcoils.aspx

Attachments

• asa.JPG
    asa.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 410

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cupholder! Dangit! I knew that my dealer was holding out on me when I got that Deluxe Sport Package! :laughing9:

Digging for relics? You will be digging every target and you should have no problem. If the ACE gets a bit chatty due to some hot ground just reduce the sensitivity a bit until it calms down. You will lose a bit of depth then but not too bad, as long as you are not in some wet beach sand...it is not a beach machine. Its a great little machine well worth the price. I use mine as a backup to my E trac now. :hello2:

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for your quick response ... I was about to bump it since Im heading out in a few minutes to grab one (woohoo)...

The Hobbytown website says they carry full lines of WHites and Garretts...so hopefully i wont be too overwhelmded when I get there

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Thanks to all who have been helpful over the last 2 years...finally bought my first detector..after playing with both and seeing the differences I wentt with the Ace 350..its was 300 and came with all kinds of extra goodies like headphones, back, weather cover, digger, etc...even the box is beautiful....and starting tommorrow I shall learn how to use her...thanks again guys

anishnabe

Greenie
Oct 27, 2009
plainwell michigan
Detector(s) used
ace garret 250
i bought a 250 a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. All I do is relic hunt, if theres something in the ground that machine will find it. it does really well with coins to. when the 350 first came out i wanted to run out and buy it but the wife put a stop to that real quick! I'm curios to hear how it does so keep us posted on your findings!

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Hunted for an hour this afternoon for this first time EVER :o

Here's a link in today's finds thread..
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,381168.0.html

buncha junk...but it was fun hour and I've officially got 'the bug'

It's a confusing machine..even after reading the manual ten times yesterday and today I complete forgot everything when I got out there...

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine alot. I've been able to get out a few times this week since quail season ended last week (see avatar). As you've found out it's a real coin grabber. Just using it will get rid of any confusion. As some have mentioned here jewelry mode will dial out lots of trash as will toning down the sensitivity.

Enjoy-

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
ya might wanna just start out in factory "coin" mode for a day or two until ya get the feel of it, the belltone audio is very handy and reliable. don't be afraid to mess with some of the other modes and if ya think there is a problem just hold the power button down for 8 seconds or so and reset the machine. just remember to take your time and the goodies will follow :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
I was going in "none" mode..which is basically All metals...that thing was singing and dinging for sure...of course, the culprit was an acre of can slaw, bottle caps and pull tabs :-\

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it. No substitute for time spent. You'll soon know which targets you 'have' to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread