What's new

Piece of a Cobb?

T Hunter

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
279
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
We found this today in an area where we are finding 1700s american coins .Does this look Spanish , cut Cobb ? Thanks for your help . Mark
 

Attachments

  • MVC-005S.webp
    MVC-005S.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 442
  • MVC-006S.webp
    MVC-006S.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 416
  • MVC-007S.webp
    MVC-007S.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 411
  • MVC-008S.webp
    MVC-008S.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 413
Yes! Looks like a 1 real cut to a half.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes, its Reale.
 
Upvote 0
Nice piece of cob T Hunter :icon_sunny:

I would say green check on this one :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Nice piece of cob T Hunter :icon_sunny:

I would say green check on this one :thumbsup:
I would say too but Im afraid to upset anyone else after my experience with an angry TN member. Online chat can be easily misunderstood. With what we can see, I dont think any further ID can be made. I would like to add that it is most likely minted in Spanish Colonial Mexico.
 
Upvote 0
Just an off the subject question while the cob experts are here: Were the cut pistareens ever counterfeited as cut pieces? It seems they might have been easier to pass if there was less design to scrutenize? I can't find any info on it though.. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Just an off the subject question while the cob experts are here: Were the cut pistareens ever counterfeited as cut pieces? It seems they might have been easier to pass if there was less design to scrutenize? I can't find any info on it though.. :icon_scratch:


Don't know for sure but a cut non silver coin would probably look different at the sharp edge.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:
Just an off the subject question while the cob experts are here: Were the cut pistareens ever counterfeited as cut pieces? It seems they might have been easier to pass if there was less design to scrutenize? I can't find any info on it though.. :icon_scratch:


Don't know for sure but a cut non silver coin would probably look different at the sharp edge.

No, I'm wondering if they ever cut them and then silvered them?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom