Pikes Peak, Robacks Bitters, Citron Ink and More, 130 Years Old time to see the light

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all, Here's my story......

It's been quite awhile since we were able to finally dig some glass that made us both say "WOW." :headbang: But today is that day. You see, for all of us diggers out there we occasionally get tired of seeing the same things. The same medicines, beer bottles etc. :BangHead: But we just keep doing what we do and nearly break our backs doing it. Don and I have been counting the pits we have done and we were on a streak of bad ones. :icon_scratch: Couldn't figure out why we were not hitting any "Use Layers" and were just coming away empty. We were up to 7 now and nothing. ??? All ash pits, trash pits with post 1900 stuff. Couldn't turn the century at all. And we are digging in spots that were dated to 1875-80. But like I say and Don agrees, we have to pay our dues every now and again. Sometimes that makes the current finds just that much sweeter. :thumbsup:

So onto another house dating to 1875. A smaller skinny type yard but longer and deeper that most. So I had to probe a bit to find the first pit. Well as you know by now, the dues were still being paid. :thumb_down: Nothing but bricks, broken meat pots! That was a 6 footer. Nothing to show so fill her in and move on. I probed an ash pit that had all wood ash which is normally a good sign for "Oldness." But after chopping through a root the size of a telephone pole, we discovered nothing again. Ugh, so I moved about 25 feet closer to the house and found another privy. Our hopes were up of course but reality is what it is. The very first thing to pop out was a skirted Coke bottle! Pretty cool but not really what were were looking for. So we kept digging passing the 6 foot mark with not much action.

Then at around 6 and 1/2 feet down I broke into the Use Layer. The next two things were awesome and told us the date of the pit. A stoneware ink and the beautiful Citron cone ink. WOW what a color! :headbang: So now it was Don's turn. As soon as he got in the pit he pulls out a great looking Bell Top Ink in perfect shape. Never seen or dug one of these before but it was cool and crude. :icon_thumright: After he dug a ton of broken plates, glasses and the usual household stuff he was burnt out and needed a rest. So I jumped in and continued to go for China! :tongue3: I started in and immediately saw a pile of glass towards the back of the pit so I used my rake and pulled some out. Then more glass fell onto the rake from above. Low and Behold out pops the 1/2 pint Pikes Peak Eagle Flask WooHoooo! :headbang: We were both stoked now. And new we were in for some special finds. I no more than handed Don the flask and bent over to use my light and saw the base of what I thought was a common glass cup. So I reached in and grabbed it and pulled it out. It just kept coming and as it hit the light I saw that it was a Barrel shaped bottle. Then I saw the top was intact and then the light hit the embossing just right. Bammo, CW Robacks, Stomach Bitters, Cincinnati O. :headbang: :thumbsup: Holy Cow Wow!!!!! What a day. I have only seen a piece or two of one but now to have a whole one in my hands is just crazy. After that Don was back in. He pulled out numerous plates and broken pieces of medicines, including a Lindseys Blood Searcher :BangHead: But what the heck we were back in the game finally! A nice pile of great glass after a skunking for so long feels great.

I took some photo's along the way and then did some light cleaning for the after pictures. Hope you enjoy. I know we did while it lasted. Hope to get back and possibly find another pit, maybe older, but that's up to the bottle Gods and after we pay our dues again! :tongue3: But we are up to the challenge! Be safe out there and good luck on all of your treasure hunting.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 132
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 128
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 125
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 128
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 117
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 131
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 123
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 127
  • s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 128
  • s11.jpg
    s11.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 126
  • s12.jpg
    s12.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 134
  • s13.jpg
    s13.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 130
  • s14.jpg
    s14.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 126
  • s15.jpg
    s15.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 129
  • s16.jpg
    s16.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 133
  • s17.jpg
    s17.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 115
  • s18.jpg
    s18.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 127
  • s19.jpg
    s19.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 131
  • s20.jpg
    s20.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 134
  • s21.jpg
    s21.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 127
  • s22.jpg
    s22.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 124
  • s23.jpg
    s23.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 117
  • s24.jpg
    s24.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 121
  • s25.jpg
    s25.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 123
  • s26.jpg
    s26.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 125
  • s27.jpg
    s27.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 128
  • s28.jpg
    s28.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 128
  • s29.jpg
    s29.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 114
  • s30.jpg
    s30.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 128
  • s31.jpg
    s31.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 15

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first, as always, love love love your posts! and Cincinnati representing! very cool to see that. congrats.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice post and excellent finds. Love the barrel bitters. Always nice to see other guys digging the deep holes. Keep at it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man when are you getting your TV show? You 2 are serious urban archaeologists:notworthy:...

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superior post!
Well done.
Glad you've again hit pay dirt. Incredible glass!!!.
Peace ✌

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great inkwells and bottles:headbang: lot of work but a great payoff:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, what a great pit! I LOVE reading your posts. What My Wife and I wouldn't give to stumble onto a pit like that here! Congrats!!

-Buck

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are the Champions of the Underworld of Glass ! --- Way to go !!! I love em all. As a kid living in Helena , Montana
I used to dig an old bottle dump which yielded bottles from the 1870's - 1910 or so .

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see JGAS you found a pit full of glass and some nice inks at that. Neat collection of bottles,vanzutphen

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, Here's my story......

It's been quite awhile since we were able to finally dig some glass that made us both say "WOW." :headbang: But today is that day. You see, for all of us diggers out there we occasionally get tired of seeing the same things. The same medicines, beer bottles etc. :BangHead: But we just keep doing what we do and nearly break our backs doing it. Don and I have been counting the pits we have done and we were on a streak of bad ones. :icon_scratch: Couldn't figure out why we were not hitting any "Use Layers" and were just coming away empty. We were up to 7 now and nothing. ??? All ash pits, trash pits with post 1900 stuff. Couldn't turn the century at all. And we are digging in spots that were dated to 1875-80. But like I say and Don agrees, we have to pay our dues every now and again. Sometimes that makes the current finds just that much sweeter. :thumbsup:

So onto another house dating to 1875. A smaller skinny type yard but longer and deeper that most. So I had to probe a bit to find the first pit. Well as you know by now, the dues were still being paid. :thumb_down: Nothing but bricks, broken meat pots! That was a 6 footer. Nothing to show so fill her in and move on. I probed an ash pit that had all wood ash which is normally a good sign for "Oldness." But after chopping through a root the size of a telephone pole, we discovered nothing again. Ugh, so I moved about 25 feet closer to the house and found another privy. Our hopes were up of course but reality is what it is. The very first thing to pop out was a skirted Coke bottle! Pretty cool but not really what were were looking for. So we kept digging passing the 6 foot mark with not much action.

Then at around 6 and 1/2 feet down I broke into the Use Layer. The next two things were awesome and told us the date of the pit. A stoneware ink and the beautiful Citron cone ink. WOW what a color! :headbang: So now it was Don's turn. As soon as he got in the pit he pulls out a great looking Bell Top Ink in perfect shape. Never seen or dug one of these before but it was cool and crude. :icon_thumright: After he dug a ton of broken plates, glasses and the usual household stuff he was burnt out and needed a rest. So I jumped in and continued to go for China! :tongue3: I started in and immediately saw a pile of glass towards the back of the pit so I used my rake and pulled some out. Then more glass fell onto the rake from above. Low and Behold out pops the 1/2 pint Pikes Peak Eagle Flask WooHoooo! :headbang: We were both stoked now. And new we were in for some special finds. I no more than handed Don the flask and bent over to use my light and saw the base of what I thought was a common glass cup. So I reached in and grabbed it and pulled it out. It just kept coming and as it hit the light I saw that it was a Barrel shaped bottle. Then I saw the top was intact and then the light hit the embossing just right. Bammo, CW Robacks, Stomach Bitters, Cincinnati O. :headbang: :thumbsup: Holy Cow Wow!!!!! What a day. I have only seen a piece or two of one but now to have a whole one in my hands is just crazy. After that Don was back in. He pulled out numerous plates and broken pieces of medicines, including a Lindseys Blood Searcher :BangHead: But what the heck we were back in the game finally! A nice pile of great glass after a skunking for so long feels great.

I took some photo's along the way and then did some light cleaning for the after pictures. Hope you enjoy. I know we did while it lasted. Hope to get back and possibly find another pit, maybe older, but that's up to the bottle Gods and after we pay our dues again! :tongue3: But we are up to the challenge! Be safe out there and good luck on all of your treasure hunting.

Nice inks and bitters...I'm a jealous man..I have to wait until next weekend to dig my first privis of the season (7 on property from the 1850's )

Last edited:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was right, hard work does pay off :thumbsup:

Great write up and super finds! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for the replies everyone. It sure was a blast to finally hit some great stuff. Not sure if we will ever see a barrel bitters like that again but we are going to try! Thanks again for checking out the post. jgas

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it would be nice to be able to dig that far down & not hit rock as we do here in Texas.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, love the bitters and the flask!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions