Whites M6

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
ScrewcapRoy said:
Hello Everyone,
I have an M6 and have noticed a few times that after I find a target and then use the Pin Pointer the sound totally disapears. Has anyone else had this happen with their M6. If so what does it mean? I go over the target again and then pin point again and the signal stays on. Just wondering.
Thanks and HH
Roy

This one could be a few things...

1 coin lodged in side wall just outside plug but still in ground.

2 coin might have popped up and be on ground.

3 coin maybe deeper or could be a pop/beer can thus giving a false reading...being there...but deeper.

OP
OP
S

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Thanks Greg. I believe that it is #3 and thanks for the feedback. When I have dug these signals I have found the deeper I go it is usually a can either crushed or half a can burried. This is only when I am persistent and continue to dig until I hit something. Much trash in the areas I hunt.
HH
Roy

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
ScrewcapRoy said:
Thanks Greg. I believe that it is #3 and thanks for the feedback. When I have dug these signals I have found the deeper I go it is usually a can either crushed or half a can burried. This is only when I am persistent and continue to dig until I hit something. Much trash in the areas I hunt.
HH
Roy

Me too...as far as I know it happens to everyone...if i go to any forest preserve 9 out of 10 of my quarter readings come up as 0.0 or 1.5...I usually dig 3-4 inch plug and give up! :) If it is that one out of ten quarter reading will be accurate! Also can happen with those kids combination locks. Another tip if you have this signal and you have been pinpointing well all day and all of a sudden it seems like you forgot how to pinpoint... ;D it is usually the same thing...junk of some kind...I iusually move on before I go insane! ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My diggin buddy has an XLT, and sometimes after he cuts the plug the signal disappears on him. Usually not on pinpoint though. I'm not too familiar with Whites machines, but perhaps another White's owner can say something about this...

Buckleboy

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
ScrewcapRoy said:
Hello Everyone,
I have an M6 and have noticed a few times that after I find a target and then use the Pin Pointer the sound totally disapears. Has anyone else had this happen with their M6. If so what does it mean? I go over the target again and then pin point again and the signal stays on. Just wondering.
Thanks and HH
Roy

If I understand correctly, mine does this also. I'll find a target, then hold the coil over it and pull the toggle. Occasionally, I won't get any tone, even if I swing the coil over the target repeatedly, until I release the toggle and try again.

Not sure if it's a glitch or what. I've found that if I swing the coil back and forth over the target, then pull the toggle while I have a tone, that it picks up and pin points just fine.

It only happens occasionally, and I just deal with it that way.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems if you pintpoint over nothing you don't get anything ,but if you pull the switch when you have tone it locks on that tone..

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
My minelab does that too, it's great actually.. if the sound disapears then you are over the target leave the target, and it will sound off again.

RD

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i've had this happen a bit on my coinstrike and i think i figured out why it happens and now know how to avoid it...

seems to me...
when you hit pinpoint the detector takes a baseline reading that instant and then beeps according to changes in its reading. if you pinpoint directly over the target, you wont get a beep. hit pin point just slightly off to the side of the target and work back towards it. problem solved.

works for me every time.

echostar61

Jul 22, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Prizim II
I am having this same problem with my prizim II,I was thinking I might be doing something wrong.
Terri

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about all the machines mentioned here, but my MXT does that sometimes. According to one of the books, what happens is if you sweep over the target enough times, the machine may try to set the auto ground balance to the target, nulling the pinpoint. As mentioned in other posts, letting the trigger go and trying again usually takes care of the problem. I don't see that this would be a problem with a manual GB machine, but makes sense with those that have a true auto ground tracking circuit. In any event, backing off then pulling the trigger again seems to solve the problem.
HH
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread