Pin pointers in comparison

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean look they all cost over 100.00 bucks not sure why being said Garrett better than most what’s the opinion of u guys what should I consider, I had a Vulcan dam thing worked great now no mater what new battery stick in ground beep beep so u tell me goofy

kokomoejoe

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Midlothian, va
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt and mxt pro
I had a Vulcan, one time, didnt last so well, I had bought on ebay, possibly could have been chinese knockoff the way it failed. Now I'm a Garrett carrott fan, if your budget allows the Garrett zlynk pinpointer coupled with zlynk wireless headphones, there some good YouTube videos on said subject.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted without one for over 30 years. When the Whites TRX first came out my local dealer made me a deal onone and I have been using it since. Here's a link to a comparison between the Garrett and the Whites.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett carrot - i can pinpoint well with most of my machines - just takes slowing down usually - but pin pointer has made recovery of small targets so much faster
found this tiny cut spanish silver in a muddy farm field in no time at all with garrett pinpointer - little later watched my friend grab handful after handful of
mud and swiping it over his coil to find a tiny bucky ball - i finally handed him my pinpointer and "bingo" got it quick
this piece is about the size of a dime if you cut that dimes 4 times and removed its round edges
it is small and being tarnishes and in mud made it tougher
attachment.php

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv used the Garrett pointer and I now use the Pro find 35, I like the Pro find 35 way more then the Garrett... The Pro find is more stable and doesn't need to be rebooted all the time also has sensitivity adjustment on the handle and ferrous detection along with no interference technology...

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta, comes with two protective plastic covers, adjustable everything, light, vibrate etc.... now they even have one that converts into a 'scuba tector'. Ive hammered mine and still going strong. Wore a hole in one of my covers after a few years.

Chub

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a TRX knockoff after my backup Garrett carrot died and I gave one away to a newb, It is deeper but has a 3 second delay when you turn it on (kinda drives me nuts). Does anyone know if the actual TRX does this?

I think mine was $30 dollars on Amazon, so you get what you pay for.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Toecutter. More stable? Doesn't need to be rebooted??? Doesn't sound like a Garrett. I've never rebooted a Garrett pinpointer. I've never had a Garrett pinpointer run unstable. Did you get a china crapola?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two old Garrett pro pointers. One works the other I broke the on off switch. I’m thinking of buying a Garrett carrot next time.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toecutter. More stable? Doesn't need to be rebooted??? Doesn't sound like a Garrett. I've never rebooted a Garrett pinpointer. I've never had a Garrett pinpointer run unstable. Did you get a china crapola?

No mine does it and Iv seen others do the same, stable as in grabbing a signal and not letting go agin mine does and Iv seen others do it, I bought mine from a dealer so I hope its not and I cant speak for "the others". My daughter uses it and likes it... Also its a Pro pointer 2 the black one is what I have..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Garrett black II model and Carrot are fantastic. I also have the Whites TRX, also a very nice model. :occasion14:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used and samples many, I'm still a fan of the White's TRX, The posted video is straight on the money. Biggest draw back to the Garrett is the side pick up. (Let me clarify, the Garrett carrot is more a scanner by comparison and that video shows this very well)
My second choice would be just about any PI pinpointer, and there are some real jewels that are real cheap.
The old Garrett pinpointer had a running history of false readings, its a design flaw as the neck can flex under pressure if you try and dig with it.
The longer rib on the Carrot is less a scrapper and more a way of making the shaft stiffer for less flexing. (That's what she said!!!!:laughing7:)
Stay Gold!!
Opie

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Tex seems to be the front runner, a true nose tip pin pointer appreciate it gang

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett is still riding a wave of brand loyalty created by the Propointer at a time when most other pinpointers were useless toys. I think they're all fairly decent now a days. Too much much competition not to be. Been using the trx myself.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 27 years of detecting without a pinpointer I finally broke open the piggy bank in 2010 and bought a Garrett Propointer. Best money I've ever spent. After 4 years of heavy use the on/off button finally wore out so I bought another one. Then I bought a White's TRX because my girlfriend detects with me and I let her use the Garrett. Never really liked the TRX. When I bought my Ace 400 this year as a backup unit, it came with a Garrett Propointer 2 so I sold the TRX. I like the ProPointer 2 even better than the original...…..it's louder and the on/ off switch seems quicker.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two old Garrett pro pointers. One works the other I broke the on off switch. I’m thinking of buying a Garrett carrot next time.

I have sent my garret and carrot in for repair twice so far the 1st time the carrot was under warranty. I recommend you send the one in with a buste switch I bet they will replace that, the switch cover, the coil and the housing all for aboyt 42 buck. Will look like and detect like a new one.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the Garrett AT pin pointer, and I have only had it for 3 weeks and am very pleased with it. I also have a Garrett Pro Pointer (1rst generation) that I have had 8 or 9 years and just last week, I sent it in for repair. That is quite a long time to last ,considering the amount of detecting I do. Like Loco said, they are going to put a new switch on it, touch it up, and send it back. They said it will cost in the area of $40.00. I like one pin pointer for each detector as I mount them on the shaft, so I don't have to worry about taking a detector and forgetting the pin pointer is on the other one. Garrett makes a solid group of pin pointers, and has great customer service regarding them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread