As every thing check out if this is ok for you. The picking season is short here as we pick mainly the male cones when they are red to green. Once they starting turning brown we do not pick as most of the moisture and goodness in them are gone. We always take only about 30% from a tree to leave plenty of seed cones so the trees can keep producing.Well, I have learned something today. Interesting.
Didn't see the above post.From today's trip the pine cones here are starting and should be ready to pick in around 2 - 3 - 4 weeks.
Looking forward to our annual pine cone syrup making .....
Great info. We have some where I go fishing and when right im definitely going to try 👍👍As every thing check out if this is ok for you. The picking season is short here as we pick mainly the male cones when they are red to green. Once they starting turning brown we do not pick as most of the moisture and goodness in them are gone. We always take only about 30% from a tree to leave plenty of seed cones so the trees can keep producing.
We cut the cones into 1/4 " to 1/2" cubes with a mix ratio of 1 to 1 with brown sugar and store in a dark dry place for 2 months to ferment.
Online one can find what others have commented on health benefits. For us we do not buy Maple syrup from the stores anymore and we have not experienced any ill effects.
Thanks Chilli..... Once the cones and brown sugar are in your jar and stored, in the first week burp the jar (open the lid a bit to let out the gases) and then you are good to go. There are also some videos on you tube if one is not quite sure. I fill 2 jars 1.5 gallon each and make 24 pints that last a year until next year. What I like the most is that there are no other additives like there is in store bought syrup.Great info. We have some where I go fishing and when right im definitely going to try 👍👍
That makes two of us. I've never heard of pine cone syrup either. I'm afraid if I try to make syrup out of any of the pine cones around here I might end up producing a sweet tasting Pine-sol. I would go out and gather a lot of piñon nuts when I lived in Buena Vista, CO. Strange thing I did once, was I over roasted some one time. They came out very dark and taking a bite of one I swore it tasted like a roasted coffee bean. Then decades later I see a bag of this in CostcoPretty cool hadn't heard of that. I don't know if I should do that in this part of the country without checking the area first cause a lot of these trees have been sprayed for those pine beetles.
No worries. I am thinkin in our late winter to early spring is the time for them here then. 👍 Ill keep my eye on them during my fishing trips there. 😀👍Whoa .. Those are massive pine trees, makes ours look like dwarfs. Being autumn there and by your pictures the pine cones have already gone pass their picking stage for making syrup. Thanks for posting those pictures and have a good one .....
Early spring when they are starting to turn from red - green and not developed is our prime time and we pick the male cones as theyNo worries. I am thinkin in our late winter to early spring is the time for them here then. 👍 Ill keep my eye on them during my fishing trips there. 😀👍
Those were planted roughly in the late 1890s to 1900 at the site of the reservoir that was built at the same time as a water supply to a very small goldfield town.
Tesorodeoro we have been making Pine Cone Syrup for years with no ill effects. Just a few hours of time spent in the bush gathering makes not only for a good day but also a years supply of syrup. It is very easy to do and there are some you tube videos that show the process if one is inclined to learn. Also online there are several sites that post the health benefits from researchers on this subject.Pine trees around my area. Never heard of sweet syrup from the pine cones.
View attachment 2202727
I have read of medicinal benefits of the Sugar Pine tree. Treated illness from eating late summer fresh water muscles. It was the only cure. It came from the cambian layer. Cutting a live tree was taboo.