942.5 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site! Don't know if it's native american but it's awesome! Questions will be have you found any other artifacts in that area. I've read about the Catawba's that the black snake was their symbol of strength and would tattoo them on the backs of warriors and they also made snake pots so it could be, but I'm not an authority and not sure if that nation lived in your area.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other

Haywood

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the cool map Trooper. I'm not an expert in Indian artifacts or smokin' weed but I've dabbled in both. The size of the pipe and the cartoonish snake makes me think it originated in a head shop. It looks made to fit in your pocket and sit upright on a table. The round circles were obviously made by a near perfect round tool(metal) pressed into the clay. I could be wrong though. Scrape out the resin, put a flame to it, inhale, and see what happens. That should tell you somethin'.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong because I'm just looking at a photo, but it looks like a reproduction piece. Thanks for posting and Welcome to Tnet.:hello:

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found pottery with circles like that pressed into them like the pipe. Interesting

Attachments

• 1443808426907.jpg
    1443808426907.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 116

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they used a reed to make the circles, but I don't think this pipe is ancient either, yeah give it a good sniff!

Haywood

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a supposedly Native American pipe with similar features as your's on the internet.

clayman.jpg
Ancient Native American Clay Pipes

It says "Early 20th Century Pipes > believed to be Choctaw in origin." so maybe it wasn't made by a hippy.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be willing to bet it's someones Pot Pipe they lost while walking in the hollow. Doesn't look old or Native American to me.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A friend found this pipe in some rocks and sand at the back end of a culvert in Letcher County, KY, and was wondering if it could be of Native American origin. Any help will be appreciated.

the way you describe the context and place it was found at make me think someone stashed their dope pipe for later use or to hide it quick. It is a cool find but truly doesn't have a native American look to it. Can you tell if it has been used?...If it has any really obvious residue or smell to it it is most definitely modern.

OP
OP
A

Art T. Fact

Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a newcomer to this site and artifact hunting, I'd like to thank all those who have looked at and all those who have responded to my post in a thoughtful and informative manner. I posted these pictures of the pipe my friend found about seven years ago as a favor to her in case someone here had found something similarly crafted by a Native American. Previously she had been told by someone in the Archaeology Dept. at the University of Tennessee that it might have been carved by an African American before the Civil War because some African American pottery and walking canes contain similar snake motifs.
Today she informed me the culvert she found the pipe in drains a hollow that has a few old home sites but nobody has lived there for at least 30 years. That's all the info I have about the pipe's location and thanks again for the views and also the link to the Indian Map, the pottery pic with circles, the info on how the circles were made and the pic of the Choctaw pipe.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a newcomer to this site and artifact hunting, I'd like to thank all those who have looked at and all those who have responded to my post in a thoughtful and informative manner. I posted these pictures of the pipe my friend found about seven years ago as a favor to her in case someone here had found something similarly crafted by a Native American. Previously she had been told by someone in the Archaeology Dept. at the University of Tennessee that it might have been carved by an African American before the Civil War because some African American pottery and walking canes contain similar snake motifs.
Today she informed me the culvert she found the pipe in drains a hollow that has a few old home sites but nobody has lived there for at least 30 years. That's all the info I have about the pipe's location and thanks again for the views and also the link to the Indian Map, the pottery pic with circles, the info on how the circles were made and the pic of the Choctaw pipe.

It's a fine artifact to have and I know if it was one of my finds I would be curious too. Given the possible African American info helps with searching. I think it's very cool and if I run across anything I'll share it with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread