Pipsico...Another Successful Hunt held 28-31 March 2008

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, we arrived home between 4-5 pm....what a weekend. We had every kind of weather you could think of...well, almost!!! LOL

Friday gave us weather upon arrival at about 80 degrees....with fat bumble bees flying around the OA Shelter. Later that evening, the SKEETERS decided to join our party!! UGH!! We all started arriving around 1-2 pm...a couple earlier, a few later on...by supper time...all were there.

We had:
Kiros (left on Sunday)
StogieJim
DCMatt (left on Sunday)
Ex2User and son, Mike
VSkip
Rowdy
Gary60 (now Sndman60) (came for the day on Saturday and Sunday).
CryptoDave (came for the day on Friday and Saturday. Angela came with Dave on Saturday).
TheSleeper (came for the day on Friday and Saturday).
Stacey and her son, Justin (came for the day on Saturday).

And of course Ron and I were there with our boys. Gary brought his wife and 2 sons on Saturday and his wife beat him in finding 2 SILVERS!!!!!! Go Joella (hope I spelled your name correctly)!!!!

Ex2User (Eric) and son, Mike...made our like bandits on SILVER! Mike found a Standing Liberty....whereas Eric found a 1891 Indian Head...and Mercs and Rosies.

A Large Cent was also found by another member!!!

I found what I am told is a possible Victorian Butterfly Belt Buckle....

These are just teasers.....you will have to check out my webshots. I will try to get everything posted tonight....but I may not get them all done tonight....but all should be viewable by tomorrow night!! I haven't posted anything yet...so don't look yet ;)....

All you will have to do is click on the website under my profile pic.....and the folders will start with the label: "Pipsico Hunt 3 - "

Saturday was a bit nippy, but everyone went out with the dedication and love they have for metal detecting and history!!! It was a long and productive day.

We had breakfast, then stopped for lunch and around 6-7pm...we had dinner....Kiros made some awesome Chili with cornbread and StogieJim made Bratwurst, whereas, DCMatt brought some Kidney Beans and Ham with Rice...and Ron and I brought hamburgers and hotdogs....we grilled, we cooked on the stove and cooked in the fire....

We didn't grid the area like I thought we would...it was just better to get to the area of interest and we all spread out....a bottle dump was found and some awesome bottles were found!!!

Lots of Boy Scout Sliders were found and pocket knives...

Rowdy also brought a DVD... that all the boys sat around and watched...about Metal Detecting Techniques...Thanks Rowdy!!!

Sunday morning we woke up to SLEET...yeppers.....SLEET..you will see pics of it! LOL....I did not detect at all on Sunday, tried to document all the stuff found....but we had some DIE-HARD DETECTORS with us....they were all out in the SILVE MINE!!! The SILVER was coming through and we think the rain / sleet was a great help with signals!!!

Ranger Dan was pleased with us, AGAIN!!! :):):)

I told him we were talking about giving back to the BSA Reservation to show our apprecition for allowing to detect....but I told him we were trying to decide which would be more beneficial to the boys first....we have a few ideas...and we will see what we can come up with....he did however mention that he WOULD LOVE FOR US to come up around the May/June time frame when Summer Camp starts. He wants us to show the boys (and the adult leaders) what we have found. He said we can use the items we turned in to show the boys....teach them metal detecting techniques and the DO's and DONT's of metal detecting. This was HIS IDEA and I think a great one. He said that alot of adults will be there...he wants us to explain to the boys about the history of their land and he hopes that this will also get us GREAT SUPPORT for our love: Metal Detecting!! He will send me the phone number of the man who will be incharge of the Summer Camp and I will get with him on dates and such! Ron and I will be there and I hope some of ya'll will be able to come....it would be nice to several of you there as we all have our own techniques and love for various times in history. Ranger Dan wants us to give a presentation with demostration!!! This, he hopes, will make the boys understand the TRUE meaning of LEAVE NO TRACE....(the trash we pull from the ground!)

Let me know if you are interested....this could be a great start for us to really give lots of folks (adults and young men) why metal detectors do what they do! Maybe, just maybe, this may be a start for a metal detecting badge...ya' think? Wel...one step at a time!!

The Historical Society was not open when Ron and I drove by...but I have the info to contact someone....want to get copies of those photos Ranger Dan told us about. Also, no one at the courthouse was available by the time we left...so...since our next planned hunt is for about mid-October...I KNOW I can get up there to do some research and get to see what the historical society may have!!! I'll keep ya'll posted on this.

Thank you DCMatt and StogieJim for the maps...I will get them posted and start logging everything and get the photos printed out. I will bring all this to the next hunt. I hope to find out more data on Dillards Wharf!

Thanks everyone for coming and I hope everyone had a GRAND TIME...I did!! Gary, it was a pleasure meeting you and the family...hope to see ya'll at the next hunt!!!

SamN...we are sorry we missed you....hope we can meet at the next one!

Eric and Mike...those car keys you found...I gave them to Ranger Dan and he said it was so funny ... as he had a message this morning about a set of car keys lost! THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiros...we looked everywhere and could not find it....I told Ranger Dan and he said he will keep a lookout and makes sure I get it to give to you.

If anyone found a black leather pouch with the Lesche digging tool and some silver coins....please PM Kiros..they are his! He last had it on Sunday Morning under the OA Shelter....if this got packed in someone's gear by accident...as can happen, as my son's medical kit was packed in someone else's box, but not by the person who owned the box...with cleaning up....we just don't know who's is whose....so if anyone runs across it amongst your items...please....PM Kiros! Thanks so much!!!

Well ya'll...let me get working on the photos...still have more to download! Talk with ya'll soon.......Thanks Again...for coming along for the hunt,
Annmarie, Ron and the boys

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fraid of that weather sunday morning, i was actually gonna drive back out there. But when i woke up at 0 dark thirty i saw and felt the weather, went back inside and snoozed some more.

It was a good hunt great bunch of people showed up, THANK YOU FOR THE COFFEE Ex2User and Mike.

Glad even with the weather sunday everyone had a good time, Congrats to everyone on there finds, esp on sunday you definetly earned them....

It was good to see all the old faces from the other hunts and new faces also.

Almost forgot BIG KUDOS to Ron and Ann for planning and staging another great hunt..................

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ann, I left you a voicemail yesterday...I found my pouch on the floor board in the back seat of my jeep. I have no idea how it ended up there, but crisis averted nonetheless.

Thanks again for another awesome hunt. The Silver Mine produced another 25-30 silver coins this time, including several Mercury Dimes and another Walking Liberty Half Dollar. The field by the dig site, which I now dub the Button Field, produced another 6 flat buttons of different shapes and sizes. StogieJim was the button king, I will let him post the details if he wishes. On previous hunts, 4 or 5 buttons were pulled from this field.

I still think the best is yet to come, especially since we haven't even touched the area around Dillards Wharf. Getting there is going to be difficult, digging...probably even more so, however, IF we can find the site of the general store, bordello, post office (see my other post), and warehouses, the possibilities are endless.

Thanks Ron and Ann and everyone that attended. I can't wait for the next one!!!

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Ann and Ron, thanks so much for all the effort and planning and of course frustration of organizing and outting all this together. This was my first of many to come of group hunts. Kiros, Stogiejim, DCMatt, and Ex2 along with anyone else I have not mentioned, thank you guys so much for all the great ideas, tips and coaching. Y'all are really a great group of people. Kiros, glad you found your lost items. I do so look forward to many more hunts with all of you and all the exciting things to come. Yes, JoElla beat me out, but I did enjoy knowing she had such a great time. It was actually her first time out and really using her GTA 300 and she did very well. She said she had such a great time and wants to come out again. We are now in discussion of what our (her) next machine should be. She found 2 silvers (late dates) and I managed to dig one. But all is not lost, the amount of experience and knowledge I gained from meeting and talking to all really surpasses all that I found and will pay dividends for years to come. I am looking forward to the next hunt and surely plan to attend. I also agree that the effort it will take to get down to the wharf will be well worth it. Just a thought, is there any possibility of obtaining an infra-red image of this area? Thanks again for such a great time and event. I hope to see all of you around the neighborhood. Take care and good luck.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Kiros....Thank GOODNESS!! I am so glad you found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEW!!! I'll let Ranger Dan know they have been found and he won't have to worry about looking. My phone went dead....so I had to charge it up when I got home...infact, it's still on the charger...think it's time to take it off! LOL

I forgot to mention, Ken reminded me....but I'm not a coffee drinker....so maybe that's why I neglected to say THANK YOU to Eric for not just brewing the coffee, but also grinding it fresh!!! KUDOS!!!

Gary, so very glad you enjoyed yourself and that JoElla did too! We look forward to seeing you all again at the next one....!!!! WTG JoElla!!! heheheehe

Ken, awe come on....you let some sleet stop you! LOL...just kidding! Just glad you and Dave and Angela were able to make it up for two days....look forward to seeing you again at the next one!

Oh for Heavens Sake....don't thank Ron and I...Thank yourselfs...we ...as a team ... made a great weekend! Doing the research, taking the time to print maps...sharing food....helping each other out....I THANK EACH OF YOU for a GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...I wasn't suppose to work today...but will be going in at 2pm until 7pm...a short day :)....then I have to work during the day tomorrow....still working on the photos and I'll try to get some posted before I leave for work...if not all of them...if I can't get them all on before 2pm...I'll finish up tonight....I am NOT going to break down who found what like I did for the second hunt....just posting by the day....

However, I am working on a website for us (VACARDS of Pipsico)....and will post on there each members finds! It will take some time to complete the site....but I know I will have it up and running by the next hunt LOL :wink: :D
OK...let me get to work....got ALOT of pics to post....and for you bottle lovers...you may really enjoy seeing some of these that were found!!!

Until my next post,
Annmarie

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron & Ann,

Plus everyone else who attended the Pipsico Hunt...sounds like y'all had a fantastic time. Can't wait to see the pictures.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok.....Days 1 and 2 are posted...there are ALOT of photos...I'll weed them out later and take out the blurry ones and put the items together...but for now...just wanted to show ya'll the photos. (Click on my website under my profile....title of albums: PIPSICO 3rd HUNT...)

I will post Days 3 and 4 when I get off work tonight.....but this should keep you busy...:)

Until later...
Annmarie

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Sounds like a great time was had by all and Ranger Dan also sounds like someone to keep on your side.It's great to work the scouts,congratulations on that.And congratulations on the finds.

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Mike and I had an awesome time on the hunt. I have never been on a hunt where there was sooo many targets to dig.
It was good to see Ron and Ann,Kiros, and DcMatt again as well as meeting Sndman60 and his family, Rowdy, VSkip, CryptoDave,The Sleeper. Just a fine bunch of people to hunt with and to talk to.
StogieJim thanks for all the info all cleaning coins and about the microscope. Will have to get one.
Ann you did an excellent job on your photo album. I didn't realize all the pictures you took on the finds and the hunt. Makes you want to pack up again go right now.
Till next time.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just to let you know...ALL photos have been posted.

Eric and Mike...glad you both had a great time!! Can't wait for the next one! I didn't realize I took that many photos until I start downloading LOL...I do need to weed through them and place them in order by items..like that Indan Head.. I took several photo of it at different times and need to place all those photos together....but that will come later LOL. Glad also to hear that the bug bite is getting better!!! I had a tick on my back....we got the critter!!!

Warsawdaddy....Ranger Dan is a really nice guy and really helpful! Yes, a Good Man to have on our side ;)

I contacted the Historical Society...they should be opening soon and will only be open on Tuesdays....as soon as they open and I get my first Tuesday off that they are open, I will be up there. They said they will help with any information they can on Dillard's Wharf. I will call up to the courthouse and see where I need to go to see old maps and plats of the land. Since construction is going on...don't know where to go...I'll let you all know as soon as I do!!! I need to find the library and see if they have on hand, any old newspapers that I can't get access to online.

Will be working some on the group's website and hope to get something posted online soon...

Talk with ya'll soon,
Annmarie

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! What a trip. Thanks to all for the great company and especially to Ann for all her hard work. Can't wait for the next chance to go to Pipsico.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread