PIPSICO...4th Hunt: Date: 24-27 October 2008 (Fri-Mon)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Friday, 24 Oct 2008 - Monday, 27 Oct 2008
Check-in after 12:00 Noon on Friday and Check-out by 2:00 PM on Monday
Everyone has been great in helping with the clean-up..thanks ... let's keep it up... we need to put that area back to better condition than when we arrived. LEAVE NO TRACE! So far, we have had great reports and this is our FOURTH ONE!!! AND MOST ESPECIALLY in the common areas where the boys do their activities...PLEASE COVER YOUR HOLES!!!

UPDATED: 12 Sep 2008

The weekend I requested, they had several activities going on that weekend. The Blue Heron Lodge and then Tiger Cubs. I don't know all that they would be doing, but it was suggested I move it. I hope this does not hamper anyones plans! (FINGERS CROSSED)

Even the weekend we will be there, there is one activity planned, but that will be in Camp Lions and they said it would be ok. So, while there will be some activities at Camp Lion, that we should not enter...however, we can on Monday morning for a few hours. (This will be up to Ranger Dan if we can enter during the weekend.)

If you will read my message several months back, below this one....there is one area they suggested we check into. Construction will begin around Jan '09 time frame...so this may be our only chance to get prime untouched land. If I understood them correctly, this is the location where the boys camped when the reservation was first opened...SILVER? You think? I bet we will find lots of Boy Scout stuff too! I don't know much about this section of land, so it will be new to all of us!

I don't know where this Summer has gone too...it went by so fast. We have been very busy, between work, family reunions, Boy Scout activities, trying to work on our home and doing the new genealogy information my cousin sent me! (I'm in Genealogy Heaven!! LOL)

Can we get a ROLL CALL of those who wish to come and what days and how many folks? It's tent camping by the OA Shelter area. I will bring what I was able to find on deeds on Pipsico. I have to wait till after January '09 when hopefully the courthouse will be complete and I will also see if the Historical Society is finally all moved in. I may stop at the society on that Friday I drive up...

Remember, $1.00 per day per person...we will be using the OA Shelter again. I do have a tent now for shower use...however, I have not bought the shower attachment yet...LOL, but I will have a potty in there. Since we had issues with the bathrooms last time....Heck, I'll even bring a magazine rack and fill it with treasure mags LOL!!! I am looking into getting a shower attachment before our hunt, but with so much on my plate, I may forget, but I will try to remember. But I will have a potty!!! Oh, gotta get those bio-degradable bags for it too!! The way I look at it...this little shower tent gives us standing up privacy to wash up. If really cold, we can heat up some water to wash with. I know, after 2 days, I need to shower or atleast wash up....

Hopefully we won't have rain that weekend, but that we get rain before hand to make the ground extra soft to dig and give us some good signals..also that the weather is atleast mild, not too cold, but not too hot!!

Please make sure you wear something BRIGHT when out in the woods. We did not have any problems last time when there was deer hunting going on (not on Pipsico, but the land next to it, even though the hunters were seen on Pipsico >:()...but please have something in outer wear that shows a BRIGHT COLOR! Bring RAIN GEAR, as last time we had sleet/rain!

I have a wash bucket for us to wash any dishes we may have...we can heat water for warm water.

We look forward to having new folks join us on this hunt. Hopefully, the previous two hunts haven't cleaned out the SILVER MINE! LOL...but with this new area we were suggested to detect, there might be some there!!

Remember....POST: YES, NO, MAYBE ... how many days and people so I can keep tally. I told them 25 adults, I know we won't have that many, but I rather over extend ... but we will take 30!!! ;D

This time I will be leaving my boys at home with their grandma...this trip is just for Mom and Dad!! Besides, we will be making a road trip to Parker, Colorado in December (and yes, we are gonna' try to get some detecting in, if we can!!!)

Well, wanted to pass on the news. Hope to see ya'll there
Annmarie

Hey Ya'll....

Went to BSA this morning to turn in the camping money....Pam greeted me "OK, tell me what you found!!!"....I couldn't remember everything LOL....I'm starting to confuse stuff from the 2nd and 3rd hunts LOL.....I need to print out or take something with me so she can see the photos LOL

Anyways, I showed her the map DCMatt and Jim were kind enough to give to me (I'm getting them mounted and will pinpoint the locations and the finds)....THANKS GUYS!!!..........I showed her the 1937 map and the 2005 map and explained our plan.

I asked her, "We would love to do another one....do you think there would be a problem?" She said there won't be a problem, submit the paperwork!!! She explained to me what happened and how Mr. Deeny went to the Board of Directors and they said, "Let them detect!"......WHOO HOOO!!!

DATES: (Projected) 17-20 October 2008
I gave her a projected date...they are working on the October calender. If the date I posted is ok...she will let me know, if not, we will pick another date for October.....so right now ... that's the projected date...just pencil it in until I get confirmation...it may be a couple of weeks...k? This is another 3 night 4 day event.... I found the two full days were great....I hope others feel the same way.

DILLARD'S WHARF RESEARCH (Surry Co Historical Society):
We need to work on the Dillard's Wharf area....I will be heading down there next hunt...atleast to survey the area....but between then and now....I will (hopefully) have information from the Surry Co Historical Society. I emailed them and they told me they should be opened soon and only on Tuesdays and they would be happy to assist with any research!!! Cool Beans!

COURTHOUSE INFORMATION:
I still haven't called the court house...I will be off on Mon/Tues of this week coming and I plan to make some calls and get some things rolling....

Later on, we will plan the food list, who plans to come and anything else we can think of...:)

I'll make sure Ron and I bring some tarps....to block the wind under the shelter ;)....hmmmm...maybe I can come up with an idea about installing SKEETER NETS too!!! LOL!!!

But this is the location I will be posting as time passes of any updates on the hunt....WE CAN STILL DETECT!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

ATTENDING Fri-Mon (3 nights/4 days):
RonandAnn (2 adults / 2 kids)
StogieJim (1 adult)

ATTENDING Fri-Sun (2 nights/3 days):
Kiros32

ATTENDING 1 night/2 days:

ATTENDING Sat & Sun (no camping: indicate day)
Sndman60 (2 Adults)

Possible Attendees (New and Former)
Born2Detect (N)

FOOD LIST (Group Dinner on Saturday Night with RAFFLE!!!):

See ya'll in 7 months!!!!!!
Annmarie

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: PIPSICO...4th Hunt: Projected Date: 17-20 October 2008

I'm there for the full time!!!

Jim

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Wanted to add something. When at the BSA Office the other day...Pam and another BS Member told me...that there is a piece of land on the reservation that is in plans (short term plan, in other words, construction to start around first of the year)....where they will be making some kind of trails and stuff...they both said "YOU MAY WANT TO DETECT THAT AREA BEFORE THEY START".........I will post a pic here soon...so you know the area I am speaking of.

And from what I gathered from my latest convo with the BSA...they are REALLY excited about us being there and the artifacts found so far! So....I forsee this to be a long term adventure ..... and if we can continue to do atleast 2 per year...we should be able to really start uncovering some really nice artifacts....we just have to get through the trash to get to the good stuff.

I did notice..where we did most of our detecting this last hunt..very trashy....from what everyone pulled from the ground...another good sweep through there and hopefully we'll get another good trash heap and then the good stuff...what do you think?

We also extend this hunt to others who wish to come....you just have to follow the rules and from those who have come, I don't think anyone has gone home dissappointed. You must remember to cover your holes, if you find trash...retrieve it and turn it in...yes, even the trash...do not throw it back in the woods or rebury it...LEAVE NO TRACE (Trash)....ALL items (coins and relics and trash, etc) are to be placed on the tables when you return to the shelter. I photograph everything...and yes, you may keep coins from 1800 to present, however, coins from 1799 and older are to be turned in....you may keep BS items (however, if one of a kind find like StogieJim found on the second hunt, which he turned over to Ranger Dan for direct placement in the BSA Museum)....most items are BS Sliders...everyone finds atleast one :) Alot of pocket knives have been found, some really in bad shape, some in fair condition.

You will NOT ENTER the DIG AREA with your METAL DETECTOR...anyone caught doing so....will be asked to leave and NOT RETURN!!! That is ONE RULE I don't want to see broken. We have had a great bunch of folks coming to these hunts and everyone has followed the BSA rules to a tee...THANKS EVERYONE!

THE CLIFFS, along the edge of the camp and within the camp (Broad Creek/Swamp area) are OFF LIMITS!!! They are very UNSTABLE!!! That will be subject to immediate dismismal from the reservation and never allowed back. The bridge that you travel over when going to Camp Lions...You ARE NOT PERMITTED to go under the bridge...that is what is considered the breding ground for the Copperheads!!!!

NO GUNS, NO ALCOHOL is authorized on BSA Reservation. DO NOT FEED THE WILDLIFE...this may include some of those Metal Detectors that come to these hunts (LMAO) Just joking guys! :wink: There are Eagle's Nest around the camp...DO NOT disturb them. There are no bears or lions or tigers...however, there are Red Fox, Deer and a Racoon with a PH.D in Cooler Operations!!! LOL There are Black Snakes (which one crossed my path on the first hunt...I let him go his way and then I went in the opposite direction. LOL....There are Copperhead, but I have yet to see any. Thank GOD!!! NO ... YOU MAY NOT HUNT DEER!!!!

I have to keep these rules going so we don't get too comfortable and forget where we are at. There will be boy scouts at the reservation while there (as this last event showed)....you are a role model....act accordingly please!

Other off limit areas are the RANGER's YARD!!!! The Barn is off limits...DO NOT ENTER .... if you have a desire to see the inside...Ranger Dan will guide you...DO NOT think you can be sneaky and enter....Ranger Dan is pretty good at being where you don't think he is!!! :wink:

Oh...for the DIG AREA...you may enter the dig area and for those who don't know the boundaries...I will let you know...you may enter and look around..NO DIGGING, NO METAL DETECTORS and DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE DIG AREA!!!!...This is one area I am dead serious on and I don't want to give the ARCHIES anything to really complain about and get us removed from the camp forever and with Ron and I being involved in scouting...that would really mess things up for us...as it could prevent him and/or I from entering BSA reservation when our boys do their outings! And Ron's an Assist Scoutmaster.

Unless Ranger Dan informs us...NO OPEN FIRES....you may bring a camping stove. There is electricity at the OA Shelter that we use. There is NO SHOWERS...but we do have a hole in the ground surrounded by a box for your PRIVATE MOMENTS :wink: DO NOT bring alot of electrical items though..we don't want to overload or run up the electrical bill...thanks!

The shelter does have a fireplace and we have had some really awesome fires....keeps us warm!!!

NO RV's / CAMPERS...Tents ONLY!!! We can set up our tents around the OA Shelter. If we have really bad weather, we can bring our tents under the OA Shelter!!!

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY...Follow the rules and you will be fine!!!

Ok...let me work on this pic so I can come back and modify and add the photo. If I remember anymore rules...I will post....
Annmarie

Attachments

• pipsico arial view 2b.jpg
    pipsico arial view 2b.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,160

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way too far ahead to give you a certain answer, but mark me down for Fri thru Sun again. If that changes, I will let you know.

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300

Dang I hate waiting, :D. Ann, JoElla and I will be there almost for sure Sat. and Sun. Had a terrific time the last hunt (yes, even in the sleet and rain). Great folks and a great event. We are so looking forward to it. I will pencil it in. Thanks for all you efforts.

Gary

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

The historical society, being open for the second week (Tuesdays only)...they have so much work to get done to get set up. I was NOT able to see the said photos Ranger Dan said he saw. They did not know who had them or where they may be located. She said they may still be packed up...so I'll give them some time to get settled and make another trip in about a month or two.

I also stopped by the County Clerks Office. They are housed in a small building and most of their documents are boxed up. It will be about another year before they are in the new addition to the courthouse. I was able, however, to find some deeds of William Dillard. I just copied all I could locate with the time I had left and will go through them tonight. Of course, I will need my magnifer to read LOL...these eyes aren't as young as they use to be!!!

My next trip...I want to search through for info on Ersamus Carter and Henry Browne....did not have time to do all I wanted today....I'll see what days I am off next week when the new schedule comes out. Did see entries for Henry Browne, also for CARTER, but no Ersamus Carter....need to further research.

Also stopped by their small library and made some copies from pages in some books (I even got the names of the books and who wrote them)....so I have some data that we may be able to work with. They had alot of other books that I want to go back and read through.

So, it was in some ways a productive trip....now to go through these deeds of William Dillard and see if I can decifer this handwriting and see what data is there that may help us!!!

I might go back again to the County Clerks Office either next week or the week after.....I'll post when I do.

Have a great day,
Annmarie

29 April 2008: I'll be on the road by 9am and should be at the historical society by 10:30 am....hoping though, with yesterdays tornados, that I won't have a problem getting there. I'll post when I return with any items that will help in our research!!! Hopefully I will be able to get copies of photos!!!

Until Later,
Annmarie

I will going to the Surry Co Historical Society on Tuesday, 29 April.... I plan to be there between 10-10:30 AM..

I already contacted Eve and told her that I would be there.

I'll post after my visit and let everyone know what I was able to retrieve as per data for Dillard's Wharf (hopefully pics!!!) and any maps I can find. I hope I can get into the courthouse too....

Anyone who can and wishes too....can meet me there.

Until my next post,
Annmarie

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hi my name is Bill and new to this site and have to say WOW very good information and people I was just wondering what types of stuff you you all be detecting for ? Sounds like a wonderful time.

Thanks
Bill

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hutch911 said:
Hi my name is Bill and new to this site and have to say WOW very good information and people I was just wondering what types of stuff you you all be detecting for ? Sounds like a wonderful time.

Thanks
Bill

The best part about this location is that finds span nearly 300 years!! We have had some great success in with finds from every era, ie Colonial, CW period, turn of the century, and modern.

Most of the colonial finds are flat buttons, with one very nice Large Cent as the exception.
Thimbles, glass, a spectacular Two-Cent Piece, bobbles and bangles from the 1800's
And probably 50+ silver coins from the Silver Mine, leftovers from the Boy Scouts from the 1950s - Today
And I know I have left out 100s of other finds...too many to keep track. THIS IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO DIG!!!

The only way to get a taste is to join us in October, I guarantee you will have a blast.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Hello,

I am new to metal detecting, and this site as well, and ahve just stumbled onto this planned dig. I wanted to know what I needed to do to be a part of it? I live at the beach, but seems pipsico is not so far at all, and my wife and I would like to join you, if it is permissable.

Thanks,
Anthony

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yea how do you sign up? Are there costs involved? Thanks Reid

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ReidMan said:

I will let Ann give you the official answer, but typically it is only $1 per night to camp, that's it. The catch, which does turn some people off, is that all pre-1800 coins and all relics MUST be turned in to the ranger before we leave, they will be processed and placed in the museum. However, personally I think its still worth having my name attached to a historical find in a museum.

Hope you can join us.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kiros32 said:
ReidMan said:

I will let Ann give you the official answer, but typically it is only $1 per night to camp, that's it. The catch, which does turn some people off, is that all pre-1800 coins and all relics MUST be turned in to the ranger before we leave, they will be processed and placed in the museum. However, personally I think its still worth having my name attached to a historical find in a museum.

Hope you can join us.

Just to be clear, the cost is $1 per night _per person_. But still cheap at three times the price...

I've been twice. Met nice people. Had a ball. Learned a lot. Found good coins and relics - including several silver coins and a 2 cent piece.

Come on out. There is LOTS of ground to cover (900 acres!).

DCMatt

godmarc

Aug 6, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver

Hello all. New to here and to the world of MDing just got a BH Quicksilver and having loads of fun. I reside in Virginia Beach and I am very interested in this event you guys are trying to orginize and would like some more info, if I could, as to how to officially sign up for this or do I just show up. If I do get the chance to come out is it alright to bring the family? And is there anything that I might be able to do to help with the orgazination of this event? Would love to help in anyway.

V/R
godmarc

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

godmarc said:
Hello all. New to here and to the world of MDing just got a BH Quicksilver and having loads of fun. I reside in Virginia Beach and I am very interested in this event you guys are trying to orginize and would like some more info, if I could, as to how to officially sign up for this or do I just show up. If I do get the chance to come out is it alright to bring the family? And is there anything that I might be able to do to help with the orgazination of this event? Would love to help in anyway.

V/R
godmarc

Welcome to TNet Marc!

Send a Private Message to "Ron and Ann." They are the organizers of the hunt and will be able to answer all of your questions.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well guys, it looks like I am not going to be able to make it this time :'( I bought a house last weekend, and the best weekend to close on it, was unfortunately the weekend of Oct 18th. I had to work in between WVU football games as well, so it made it difficult. I am free the following weekend though!!!...in case it gets pushed back the weekend of the 25th.

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va

Sorry to here that you won't make it. Congrads on the house. I hope I'll be able to make it if work permits.

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11

Hey Kiros32
Good luck with your new house. Maybe your can make the next hunt.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I modified my original post at the beginning of this thread...note new dates. I talked to Pam today, we may be staying at Camp Rotary....no OA Shelter there... but that's ok (I don't think anyways?). We haven't camped there yet. And this is new fresh area for us too!! It's located between Camp Lions and Camp Kiwanis...not a bad walk :wink:

She will let me know if we will be at Camp Rotary or Kiwanis. I really don't care which one, as long as we are able to continue!!! I'll have to ask hubby about Camp Rotary, they camped there before with our Troop.

She sounded so excited that we were going back and I could not talk much, my voice left me during the night and I could barely speak this morning, so I was yelling into the phone LOL!!!

So...read my post at the top....let's get the roll call going....hope to see former detectors there as well as some new ones!!!

See ya'll real soon...
Annmarie

PS: I think this location of camp puts us closer to the bottle pit.....

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
I modified my original post at the beginning of this thread...note new dates. I talked to Pam today, we may be staying at Camp Rotary....no OA Shelter there... but that's ok (I don't think anyways?). We haven't camped there yet. And this is new fresh area for us too!! It's located between Camp Lions and Camp Kiwanis...not a bad walk :wink:

She will let me know if we will be at Camp Rotary or Kiwanis. I really don't care which one, as long as we are able to continue!!! I'll have to ask hubby about Camp Rotary, they camped there before with our Troop.

She sounded so excited that we were going back and I could not talk much, my voice left me during the night and I could barely speak this morning, so I was yelling into the phone LOL!!!

So...read my post at the top....let's get the roll call going....hope to see former detectors there as well as some new ones!!!

See ya'll real soon...
Annmarie

PS: I think this location of camp puts us closer to the bottle pit.....

Ann, that's great news!!! I wasn't going to be able to make the weekend of the 20th, but I can definitely be there now!!! Count me in for Friday thru Sunday.

Can't wait, see you guys soon, CHILI MAN IS BACK!!!!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Reporting for duty, Sir!

Put me down, with wife in tow :laughing7:

We will be there Friday and Saturday night, and possibly Sunday too, depending on work scheduling. Wont know til the week before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread