ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiny Ross Island, in Upper Tampa Bay near St. Petersburg, Florida, holds the secret of a pirate treasure which has been lost since the late 1820s. Only about one mile long, north to south, and one half mile wide, this low lying isle was the site of a pirate colony, a lair for renegades who preyed upon merchant ships in the Tampa Bay area.

Captain Henry Ross, the ruler of the colony, buried a chest of gold there about 1821. More was buried later, but non has ever been recovered to the best of anyones knowledge.

Ross came on the historical scene before the War of 1812, when he served as one of the ship captains operating out of Barataria under Jean LaFitte. During his sea-roving days under LaFitte, he had spotted a small island in Tampa Bay which was ideal for a pirate headquarters. Later named Ross Island, it had a natural lagoon for hiding a pirate ship.

This it was that Captain Henry Ross recruited a band of ex-pirates eager for adventure and the opportunity to line their pockets. Acquiring a small but fast three-masted schooner, with less than a five foot draft, the band set sail about 1817-1818 to establish their colony on the secluded island.

About a dozen shacks were first constructed form old ships timbers found on the beach, and a well was dug. Docking facilities and a stout fort were then erected, along with two storehouses.

Ross did not restrict his illegal operations to mere pirating. Smuggling and slave trade also claimed a goodly share of his attention. New Orleans was naturally the best port for the disposal of smuggled goods, as well as the fencing of stolen plunder. After each transaction, the old pirate returned to his secret island stronghold ad buried his ill-gotten gains.

This easy life went on for many months until so many complains reached the Navy Department in Washington that the Anti-Piracy Squadron of the U. S. Navy stationed at Key West was ordered to take action against these sea marauders.

Ross Apparently did not know that the U. S. Navy was out to destroy him, for he did not curtail his operations. While in the act of looting a merchant ship just outside Egmont Channel, the naval sloop surprised the pirates.

Ross was successful in making a getaway, but the naval sloop followed closely I his wake. Reaching the island, Ross slipped into the safety of the lagoon. The sloop of war was deeper drafted and could not enter.

While Ross thought he was safe, he was not aware that the naval craft was fitted with new long range rifled guns. Approaching the island as closely as safety permitted, the warship zeroed in her powerful guns and sank the pirate craft with several direct hits.

The pirates were terrorized when they saw their ship smashed to splinters, particularly when they spotted a landing party of sailors and marines approaching in long boats. Picking up only a few of their belongings, the pirates and their families escaped into the mangroves. The attackers then proceeded to set fire to the shacks, warehouses, and forts. The captain of the naval sloop later reported that a brief search was made for treasure, but that none was found, as he did not have time for a thorough search. Whatever happened to Captain Ross is still a mystery, but it is fairly certain that the bulk of his treasure was never recovered since that disastrous day in the 1820s.

**************------------------------
Ross is the largest and southernmost of a string of small islands that lie south of the Florida Power complex and east of Weedon's Island in Tampa Bay. It's about a mile long from north to south and a little over 1/2 mile wide from east to west at its widest point. It is crisscrossed by drainage canals dug many years ago in an effort to control mosquito's. A large worn down Indian mound lies on the southern part of the island. While digging the drainage canals some years ago, the drag line operator uncovered several old iron ships cannon and a heavy anchor. These were so heavy that they nearly overturned the light drag line rig before the operator finally got them up on the bank, and It was there that they were covered over with sand and muck being dug from the ditch. Research shows that Ross Island was the headquarters for a pirate gang who kept their shallow-craft schooner in a lagoon on the east side of the island, using a channel which led directly to a deeper ship channel out in Tampa Bay. This particular gang of buccaneer's maintained a lookout in a crow's nest atop a nearby tall pine tree, when a likely looking ship was seen sailing up or down Tampa Bay, a pirate in the crow's nest would blow a horn made from a large conch shell. The crew would then assemble and sally out in pursuit of their victim, usually running them down near Egmont Key.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is attached technically to nearby Weedon Island Preserve... I know all of that area is real rich in history not just Ross Island... I havent really researched in awile for info... but the last time I did I could never find anything specific to that island...BUT... Because it IS so close/ attached to Weedon...??? who knows and hence why I have not made a trip out via boat... in other words... I personally have not "tested the waters" so to speak by detecting it.
It is only accessable by boat.. period... even though map research will show otherwise... you cannot actually walk to it... well you could... or swim lol...just bring everything waterproof...and a whole lotta leg muscles. heh.
Anyway I have always wanted to take the ole aqua scout out to it. I haven't even been IN Tampa Bay water in years... I am a Gulfo o mehico kinda guy .. BUT ... would LOVE to if permitted.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Tiny Ross Island, in Upper Tampa Bay near St. Petersburg, Florida, holds the secret of a pirate treasure which has been lost since the late 1820s. Only about one mile long, north to south, and one half mile wide, this low lying isle was the site of a pirate colony, a lair for renegades who preyed upon merchant ships in the Tampa Bay area.

Captain Henry Ross, the ruler of the colony, buried a chest of gold there about 1821. More was buried later, but non has ever been recovered to the best of anyones knowledge.

Ross came on the historical scene before the War of 1812, when he served as one of the ship captains operating out of Barataria under Jean LaFitte. During his sea-roving days under LaFitte, he had spotted a small island in Tampa Bay which was ideal for a pirate headquarters. Later named Ross Island, it had a natural lagoon for hiding a pirate ship.

This it was that Captain Henry Ross recruited a band of ex-pirates eager for adventure and the opportunity to line their pockets. Acquiring a small but fast three-masted schooner, with less than a five foot draft, the band set sail about 1817-1818 to establish their colony on the secluded island.

About a dozen shacks were first constructed form old ships timbers found on the beach, and a well was dug. Docking facilities and a stout fort were then erected, along with two storehouses.

Ross did not restrict his illegal operations to mere pirating. Smuggling and slave trade also claimed a goodly share of his attention. New Orleans was naturally the best port for the disposal of smuggled goods, as well as the fencing of stolen plunder. After each transaction, the old pirate returned to his secret island stronghold ad buried his ill-gotten gains.

This easy life went on for many months until so many complains reached the Navy Department in Washington that the Anti-Piracy Squadron of the U. S. Navy stationed at Key West was ordered to take action against these sea marauders.

Ross Apparently did not know that the U. S. Navy was out to destroy him, for he did not curtail his operations. While in the act of looting a merchant ship just outside Egmont Channel, the naval sloop surprised the pirates.

Ross was successful in making a getaway, but the naval sloop followed closely I his wake. Reaching the island, Ross slipped into the safety of the lagoon. The sloop of war was deeper drafted and could not enter.

While Ross thought he was safe, he was not aware that the naval craft was fitted with new long range rifled guns. Approaching the island as closely as safety permitted, the warship zeroed in her powerful guns and sank the pirate craft with several direct hits.

The pirates were terrorized when they saw their ship smashed to splinters, particularly when they spotted a landing party of sailors and marines approaching in long boats. Picking up only a few of their belongings, the pirates and their families escaped into the mangroves. The attackers then proceeded to set fire to the shacks, warehouses, and forts. The captain of the naval sloop later reported that a brief search was made for treasure, but that none was found, as he did not have time for a thorough search. Whatever happened to Captain Ross is still a mystery, but it is fairly certain that the bulk of his treasure was never recovered since that disastrous day in the 1820s.

**************------------------------
Ross is the largest and southernmost of a string of small islands that lie south of the Florida Power complex and east of Weedon's Island in Tampa Bay. It's about a mile long from north to south and a little over 1/2 mile wide from east to west at its widest point. It is crisscrossed by drainage canals dug many years ago in an effort to control mosquito's. A large worn down Indian mound lies on the southern part of the island. While digging the drainage canals some years ago, the drag line operator uncovered several old iron ships cannon and a heavy anchor. These were so heavy that they nearly overturned the light drag line rig before the operator finally got them up on the bank, and It was there that they were covered over with sand and muck being dug from the ditch. Research shows that Ross Island was the headquarters for a pirate gang who kept their shallow-craft schooner in a lagoon on the east side of the island, using a channel which led directly to a deeper ship channel out in Tampa Bay. This particular gang of buccaneer's maintained a lookout in a crow's nest atop a nearby tall pine tree, when a likely looking ship was seen sailing up or down Tampa Bay, a pirate in the crow's nest would blow a horn made from a large conch shell. The crew would then assemble and sally out in pursuit of their victim, usually running them down near Egmont Key.
US Naval records relate that the USS GRAMPUS in 1821, gave chase to Ross's 3mast schooner up Egmont Channel into Tampa Bay,and blew that schooner out of the water.The Grampus then sent a landing party onto Ross Island as the pirate residents fled.The landing party did search the warehouses and recovered some of the looted goods,no chests of gold,silver,or jems were found,then set fire to the warehouses,shacks,fort,and docks.
L Frank Hudson was convicted in the 1990's for unauthorized excavations to find pirate gold and damaging Calusa burial mounds on Ross Island,Gallagher Key,Big Mound Key,and Cockroach Island.Hudson never found any pirate treasure,but is also known for his search with Homer "Buz" Osbon and James Spink for pyramids in the Everglades Big Cypress Swamp and their encounter with Skunk Apes,Florida's bigfoot.
Many of the stories and tales of buried pirate treasure can be traced back to the creation of lore by Adrian P Jordan,editor of the PUNTA GORDA HERALD during the late 1890 to early 1900's.

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the update.

Sadly that some times happens. It would be interesting to find the remains of pirate settlement and for however.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to locate the destroyed pirate settlement……….how much has the island land mass changed since the early 1800's?

Sandman23

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS II. looking to upgrade soon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read where in 1920's two business men from Chicago went to Ross Island and found a Cannon and 80K pieces of silver Real 8's. and for the chance that there's gold chest makes me want to look into it more!!!!!!!!!!

ryan cidlowski

Greenie
Jun 1, 2012
st.pete bch
Detector(s) used
jw fisher x8, jw fisher pulse 10, Aquasport 24' 1988 Trojan 13meter express, Baja sportjet
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So do you think the story about Riviera Bay are true? silver bars were for in the bay and I read this newspaper article in the late 70's ???

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you think the story about Riviera Bay are true? silver bars were for in the bay and I read this newspaper article in the late 70's ???

I think all things to be possible... I personally think the ship lies in that bay. My research over the years points to this being the most likely location and the only area they would have "hidden".
Obviously those flats have changed over the years but from my ground study and my old reference maps the area leading into the bay have changed little since the time of this...
This means the "entrance/pass" into the bay would be the most likey spot that would have have prevented the pursue due to lack of their knowledge of the depths and narrow course... PLUS they would have stopped at the mouth in order to not get into "a corner"... once they had clear sight of Ross's ship... they fired long range and sunk it "in it's nest".
They then pursued them in long boats.
Many things have surfaced in these long winding waterways... including even a AD 690 – 1010 canoe, which shows the islands "history" of usage.
This can be seen here...
Pinellas County Florida - Weedon Island Preserve - Prehistoric Canoe

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been all over Ross Island since in 1979. The island is named after Lorenzo Dow Ross, a Confederate veteran who died in 1889 and is buried at the entrance to Weedon Island. I drove there yesterday since I live nearby and took a pic of his tombstone. When I first visited the island I found dozens of holes dug by treasure hunters. The area has been picked clean and there's nothing left.

DCP01674.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revived just for you ECS... :P

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
US Naval records relate that the USS GRAMPUS in 1821, gave chase to Ross's 3mast schooner up Egmont Channel into Tampa Bay,and blew that schooner out of the water.The Grampus then sent a landing party onto Ross Island as the pirate residents fled.The landing party did search the warehouses and recovered some of the looted goods,no chests of gold,silver,or jems were found,then set fire to the warehouses,shacks,fort,and docks.
L Frank Hudson was convicted in the 1990's for unauthorized excavations to find pirate gold and damaging Calusa burial mounds on Ross Island,Gallagher Key,Big Mound Key,and Cockroach Island.Hudson never found any pirate treasure,but is also known for his search with Homer "Buz" Osbon and James Spink for pyramids in the Everglades Big Cypress Swamp and their encounter with Skunk Apes,Florida's bigfoot.
Many of the stories and tales of buried pirate treasure can be traced back to the creation of lore by Adrian P Jordan,editor of the PUNTA GORDA HERALD during the late 1890 to early 1900's.
...and revived for you.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh :P ... touché

That's it...
ECS and I are hunting partners :P

But you get to do all the digging.
You and Big Dog.

Don't have to ask which version you believe... heh

Explain the cannon... and the silver found ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and while explaining this... explain why the residents of the isle that overlooked the scene of dredging who witnessed these cannon laying out for days...
Then one morning were gone...
And were interviewed concerning the matter...
AND the disappearance of...

It was sloughed off as no big deal and swept under...

After all ... they were very concerned... those canals meant no more mosquitos :P

IF there was a stop work order placed.... ehhhh welp... some pissed off rich people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who the heck knows... :P heh

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta keep the legend alive though man...

get wid da progame...

See I have real estate right next to it... so...

:P j.k

Like salvor said...
Island has been picked clean long ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread