Pirate Door To Treasure Room?

Momuffler

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
My father found this on the coast of Nova Scotia in the 1960’s washed up on a beach near Louisbourg. There have been many ship wrecks around there with many gold coins and other artifacts found by residents. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea who may know something about this sort of thing? Thanks!

2504114E-3778-41B4-AD66-4CB54135BF65.jpeg

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
Not sure what it is, but it doesn't appear to have spent any significant amount of time in the water, it's almost pristine looking. There's no reference as to size, but looking at it appears to me to be a footboard to a bed.

Any hinges or hardware on it that might help date it?

OP
OP
M

Momuffler

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hinges left on it but I will attach some more photos. There is metal on it. Apparently my great grandmother sent a piece away that included sheep skin over those round pieces of metal around the outside and it was dated to the 17th or 18th century. It is too small for a quarters room so the Smithsonian thought it may belong to their treasure hold. Would anyone know who collects this sort of thing?

Not sure what it is, but it doesn't appear to have spent any significant amount of time in the water, it's almost pristine looking. There's no reference as to size, but looking at it appears to me to be a footboard to a bed.

Any hinges or hardware on it that might help date it?

Attachments

• 8BC7256E-D3D5-4CBF-85A5-8839CD3350C9.jpeg
    8BC7256E-D3D5-4CBF-85A5-8839CD3350C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
  • 38708FD5-DBD3-4714-8662-E911DA39C775.jpeg
    38708FD5-DBD3-4714-8662-E911DA39C775.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardware is post Civil War period, so I doubt it's anything to do with pirates.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like cupboard doors This shape of carved dolphins was popular around late 1800's, early 1900's within the stylized baroque/asian themes. The bird image is too dark to tell. Any idea of the type of wood? Brass tacks came about around 1900, no?

65280c74a57b58c5b2d8a30f0f92c3f1--gilded-age-rhode-island.jpg

How did they date the sheepskin?

Can you provide an image of the backside of the doors? How do the 2 doors fit together? The small latch appears to be added later, partially over the original mechanism which is corroded away. The first door image is too blurry to tell. Pictured together, with better light may help.

To me, the hardware does not look like anything secure enough to be used on a ship, nor secure anything of value on a ship.
It certainly does not look like anything that has been submersed or in the ocean for any amount of time. The corrosion on the metal portion of the decoration does not match the wear on the carved images of the fish. I suggest this was found and added later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Momuffler

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures. It is only 1 door. About 5’5” estimated without measuring. Not sure how they dated the door. I’m getting this information second hand.

Looks like cupboard doors This shape of carved dolphins was popular around late 1800's, early 1900's within the stylized baroque/asian themes. The bird image is too dark to tell. Any idea of the type of wood? Brass tacks came about around 1900, no?

View attachment 1667744

How did they date the sheepskin?

Can you provide an image of the backside of the doors? How do the 2 doors fit together? The small latch appears to be added later, partially over the original mechanism which is corroded away. The first door image is too blurry to tell. Pictured together, with better light may help.

To me, the hardware does not look like anything secure enough to be used on a ship, nor secure anything of value on a ship.
It certainly does not look like anything that has been submersed or in the ocean for any amount of time. The corrosion on the metal portion of the decoration does not match the wear on the carved images of the fish. I suggest this was found and added later.

Attachments

• F1A085ED-2D1D-4A3C-9EBC-E05952FBFC7F.jpeg
    F1A085ED-2D1D-4A3C-9EBC-E05952FBFC7F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • ADCFA8EA-BDE9-4093-84D2-FD7369854578.jpeg
    ADCFA8EA-BDE9-4093-84D2-FD7369854578.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Single door armoire, hand carved, I suspect oak, early to mid 1800's. If it were I, I would be doing alittle digging into sinkings that may have occured near N.S and south of the location found.

No expert...jmo.

ag

OP
OP
M

Momuffler

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://novascotia.ca/museum/wrecks/default.asp

Many Shipwrecks around Nova Scotia. This artifact was found around Pt. Michaud. The website above shows many.

Single door armoire, hand carved, I suspect oak, early to mid 1800's. If it were I, I would be doing alittle digging into sinkings that may have occured near N.S and south of the location found.

No expert...jmo.

ag

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To me it looks much more modern than 17th century. If I had to guess I would say 19th century or later.

But I'm certainly not the Smithsonian. By the way, if the Smithsonian has already identified and dated it for you, why are you coming here?

RĂĽdiger

Feb 15, 2016
Sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a true romantic, if you think pirates would have seen the door to the treasury with carvings.
But an interesting link, thanks.:thumbsup:

mvh
RĂĽdiger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it doesn't pertain to the Oak Island treasure?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Why Cast Pearls...In Front Of Swine...LOL?

Come on over to...The Oak Island...Threads!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/441806-oak-island-strange-bizarre-maybe-truth-29.html

Posts...428-438

Don't get me wrong...You may be the missing link!

I believe you may be dealing with the largest Pirate Score...In History!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Levasseur

What you enlighten to... is what ever happened with?...The Nossa Senhora do Cabo which was then renamed Victorious by Olivier Levasseur

Dans le sillage de la Nossa Senhora do Cabo, Les diamants de Goa

Nossa Senhora do Cabo 2.jpg

portuguese-eagle-14946723.jpg

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Who Would Ever Have...Dolphins...As a Symbol?...Maybe...Olivier Levasseur!

The Buzzard was connected to the two cities created in and around him, of Dauphiné.

This was named after the city in France, where he came from...named after the Prince of France!

One in Nova Scotia (which he helped build) and the other in Madagascar...where he resided until his hanging.

Dauphine.png

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a true romantic, if you think pirates would have seen the door to the treasury with carvings.
But an interesting link, thanks.:r
I can guarantee if any one on oak island saw that they would be able to link it to the pirates.

After I posted then I read the last posts. Looks like more minds are thinking like me.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we go... :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Momuffler

Greenie
Jan 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve contacted the Oak Island museum to see if it is of any interest. Very interesting theory. Does this door make sense that it would have been from a ship? I’m getting historical info about it second hand. Btw my parent house was owned by a chapel related to the Oak Island chapels.

The Buzzard was connected to the two cities created in and around him, of Dauphiné.

This was named after the city in France, where he came from...named after the Prince of France!

One in Nova Scotia (which he helped build) and the other in Madagascar...where he resided until his hanging.

View attachment 1669394

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My Friend...

I hate to sound like a negative nelly here BUT... honesty is always the best policy imo. That being said...

I have serious doubts that the object in question was part of a seaborn adventure. If it HAD been part of a ships complement...without proper conservation... it would long ago have crumpled into dust after a good salt water soaking.
I think you have a unique piece of Early Americana, I believe hand carved, and certainly mid 1800's...possibly earlier. But I don't think it was " washed up on a beach" from a pirate ship. Sorry

ag

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Now You...are connecting the ...Dots!

I’ve contacted the Oak Island museum to see if it is of any interest. Very interesting theory. Does this door make sense that it would have been from a ship? I’m getting historical info about it second hand. Btw my parent house was owned by a chapel related to the Oak Island chapels.

The Chappells owned Oak Island for a good many years, in the early 19th Century, and were of the highest rank of Freemasons in Canada.

There could be no better coincidental relationship with your Door, Family Home, the Chappells and Oak Island.

As they say on The Curse of Oak Island...Dig Deeper!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread