What's new

Plastic button-like items

Iokina

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 1, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I've got about 20-each of white and blue plastic disks. These are numbered (have not checked to see if they are all sequential) and it looks like needs were used to poke holes in them for use as buttons. Some still have thread, and therefore I am certain someone did use them as buttons.

What are these? Were they meant to be buttons, or did a very resourceful lady find a new use for some sort of old trash? Were these make-your-own-button disks a popular idea? What kind of clothing were they used for?
GEDC07972.webp
GEDC08002.webp

Any ideas would be wonderful!
 
It looks like the end off of a confetti popper........was there a wedding there recently?
 
Upvote 0
Interesting idea!

I found these actually with about 2lbs of buttons in an elderly women's stash after she passed away (I realize this is for mostly metal-detecting, but I consider sorting through all of these possessions treasure-hunting for sure!)

Would confetti-poppers be numbered for any reason?
 
Upvote 0
I am thinking something for packaging or packing.
 
Upvote 0
I wouldn't focus too hard on the numbers. Most plastic-molded items have a discreet number engraved on it, to match the plastic part to a specific cavity in the steel mold used to make the part - most high-volume molds will be 64 cavities or more - the more prominent the mold number implies the part is not for "fine" use, but rather more of a commodity part.
 
Upvote 0
I have seen something similar used for packaging aftermarket automotive body panels in the auto body shop I work at. The panels come wrapped with cardboard and the cardboard is folded over to completely cover the part. The plastic "buttons" are attatched to the cardboard and string is wrapped around them to hold the folded pieces in place.
 
Upvote 0
May be parts of disposable sewing machine bobbins.
 
Upvote 0
NHBandit said:
I have seen something similar used for packaging aftermarket automotive body panels in the auto body shop I work at. The panels come wrapped with cardboard and the cardboard is folded over to completely cover the part. The plastic "buttons" are attatched to the cardboard and string is wrapped around them to hold the folded pieces in place.
Thats about what I was thinking of. :icon_thumright: I think thats what they are. I dont believe they were ever intended or used for clothes. Cheap packaging buttons.
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting! I agree they never looked like they were intended for buttons. Interestingly enough, This lady must've run into some hard times and found some cheap button alternative - as they were in her extensive button stash, and today I noticed one has thread wrapped through the holes (in a very button-stitch-like way) with a hint of yellow fabric still attached. Perhaps she used them when making toiles? Or dolls clothes?

Either way, thank you very much for all your help. I will mark the thread as solved.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom