Explorer 2 gold rings

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I had a bit of a scrounge around my collection of finds and dug out 20 gold rings, a couple of nuggets and a few gold jewelry items. I scanned them all to help out as
most people dont know what numbers they come under in the ferrous and conductivity range.The conductivity range can be very broard from 1 to 25. But the ferrous range is very limited.Out of the 20 rings the ferrous readings only spanned from 7 to13. Numbers being 2 at 7
5 at 8
4 at 9
4 at 10
3 at 11
1 at 12
1 at 13
The rings used were of varying carats and sizes and I also did a couple of gold nuggets as well, a 20 grm nugget, ferrous 7, conduct 23. A small 2 grm nugget read ferrous 11 cond 4 , I also tried a 5 grm gold ingot which read ferrous 8 cond 13
As you can see the majority of gold rings 16 out of 20 come within in the ferrous readings of 8 to11 this also goes for gold nuggets and most gold jewelry. None of the rings read above 25 on the conductivity scale but varied widely

So what does this tell you? You can narrow down your search patterns considerably and design your own patterns favouring these ferrous readings and hopefully get a gold ring or two!
I hope I have helped someone out seeya Neil o

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Adding to the gold rings section it is possible to recreate ?a discrimination ?pattern using the edit and learn mode.First off turn to learn put up black screen then turn to edit.Use the small cursor,the cursor moves by one number per short push of the direction buttons.Bearing in mind that moving vertically is conductivity and horizontally is ferrous,firstly ?move the cursor to bottom right hand corner of the screen.Example, if you wanted to find position 10 conduct 5 ferrous, ?10 verticle short pushes and 5 horizontal pushes will put you in position 10 conductivity 5 ferrous then push the tick button and it is marked on your screen.
I will list the numbers where the twenty rings and other jewelry items were recorded if you want to recreate a pattern using them you are able to by using this method

conductivity is first,1-13, 1-12, 1-11, 2-11, 4-11, 7-10, 9-9, 11-9, 12-8, 13-8, 17-8, 19-8, 21-8, 23-7, 24-7, 25-7.

most rings were in readings 4-11,7-10 and 9-9 areas

larger rings were in the 23-7 24-7and 25-7

I have recreated this pattern myself starting at the1-13 ?then ticking and leaving the tick on until reaching the top 25-7.This I figure will help find the rings and items which would be missed by setting these numbers individually.

I have just put 30 items to the test and it picked out them all .

You will still find some unwanted items but it will increase your chances of finding goodies dramatically,
ring pulls are usually around the 8 ferrous mark and are usually the problem.

hope I have helped out ?seeya neilo ;D

R

rvbvetter

Great info. Keep it coming.
On mine, our most common modern pulltab over here. Shows at 09-06 and our nickle shows at 10-06 The older original pull tabs can vary. But i usually use the cross hairs and have noticed that if it's a nickle, the bottom line of the box will rest on the bottom edge of the screen. If it's a pull tab, no matter the age, it will hover about 1/8 of an inch or a little more above the bottom of the screen. If it's iron, the box will sag partly below the bottom of the screen.
Does that sound right?

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Rvb hi I am not that familiar with american coins I own a few but not sure which ones a nickle I think its a 5 cent. The coins I do have are quarter dollar -00-29, one dime 4-29,five cent -10-05 and one cent at 7-26.
You mentioned about the position of cross hairs going below the screen, this is not iron it just a signal of very low conductivity.The more the iron, ferrous, ?content the further to the left of the screen your cross hairs will be.
A lot of your very small thin rings and pieces of jewelry, chains etc will read at very low readings.I have a white gold ring with seven diamonds which only had a conductivity reading of 1 ferrous 13.Which if you were using your cross hairs, only half would show and it would ?be about nearly half way across the bottom of sceen.I wont use the alfoil
discrimination as some small ?jewelry and chains fall into that area.
The position of cross hairs in relation to pull tabs is as you say very varied, for the cross hairs to be higher up the screen than the nickle they would have to be of a higher conductivity.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I hope I have answered your queries seeya Neilo

yanis

Aug 9, 2004
Hello Neilo,
Thank you for all the good information you are providing we all appreciate your inputs,
I have to choose between the DD-WOT-XP and the PLATIPUS both made for the explorer
what is your opinion? depth is important, and trash and iron a problem in my application.
Your input will be appreciated.
Regards
Yanis

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I have both the 15inch coil and the platypus coil. For straight detecting on the beach I like the bigger coil mainly because I can cover a lot more ground and has slightly more depth. For detecting in trashy areas,parks and general detecting I use the Platypus.It detects deeper than the standard 10inch and nearly as deep as the 15inch coil.It gives clearer signals and seperates signals in trashy areas better. Another plus it pinpoints easier and is better balanced on the machine because it is centrally mounted. It also will detect smaller targets better, I have found some very small nuggets and thin chains with mine.
Hope I have answered your query seeya Neilo ;D

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Just more info for this, I ran all the gold rings I have in front of the coil and they fell in the same ranges you listed. My ring pattern was close to covering all your numbers, I expanded it a little to add some of the area you had opened that I didn't. Great info BTW Thanks!

-Mike

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi I thought it was about time I renewed this topic It has been useful to a lot of people, it still works and have found a lot of rings using it. seeya good hunting Neilo ;D

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
for Explorer2 users I thought it might interest you so I dug this out again seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread