Playing Around With F75 ID Numbers Coins, Civil War Buttons and Trash

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing around with the F75 today, coming up with ID numbers for common items and testing it with coins and trash. This was an air test, nothing touching or in the ground, all was set up on a bench. My setup was Sens. 70, DE mode, 3 tone, Stock coil.

I found out some interesting things testing it with the coins and trash setup. I wanted to see how close I could detect a coin next to a pulltab and a steel bottlecap. I recieved a consistent coin signal with a pulltab directly on top of a silver half dollar. I tested a silver quarter and silver dime with the pulltab and bottlecap, the closest I could get on the quarter was about 2 1/2 inches center to center, and I got a one way trash, one way coin signal. With the dime the closest I could get was 3 inches center to center, with one way trash, one way coin signal.

Needless to say I will be digging more of the one way trash one way coin signals in super trashy spots. Plus in real trashy areas I use lower sensitivity. In many areas I dig all tab signals anyway, so that takes them out of the equation.

O.K. here are some ID number results, If you look closely you can see a difference between silver and clad.

Worn dug 1892 V Nickel 29-30
Dug 1919 Buffalo Nickel 30
1903 Barber Half 88-89
1944 Nickel 33-34
1944 Quarter 86-87
1936 Mercury Dime 75-76
1902 I.H. Cent Dug 60
10k Mens Ring 44

Modern coins
Zinc Penny 61
Nickel 31
Dime 71-72
Quarter 82-83

Civil War Buttons ( Union )
2-Piece Artillery Officer Coat Button 58-60
1-Piece Artillery Officer Cuff Button 57-58
3-Piece Officer Cuff Button 63-65
3-Piece Officer Coat 59-61
Ball Button or Zuave Button 68-70

Of course numbers will vary some in the ground, especially on the copper, brass and nickel items.

Just thought some folks might find this interesting, and maybe do some testing on thier own and report it so we can all understand our detectors even better.

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmanfromtexas said:
Thanks Goldiver for the info. Interesting info re: silver/clad numbers. What kind of depth are you getting on dimes? TMAN...

You are very welcome for the info. , as far as depth I have not done any bench testing yet. What I do know is I am VERY satisfied with the results on depth I am getting in the field. I am also very satisfied with the results I am getting with coins near trash in the field, I will dig the coin first and then dig the trash next to it to see how close it is to the coin and what type of trash item. I thought I could never go without my CZ-70, but I haven't even picked it up since I bought the F75, It's simply awesome, and fits my personal wants and needs exactly. Soon I will try the smaller coil for trashy areas, I am sure it is even more impressive.

Steve

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my F75 for a couple of months now. I am extremely happy with the unit. I have dug items at around 13 inches, and I am not talking beer cans, quarters and pop tops.

I feel that I understand about 20% of what is going on with the machine. I might take it to a park this weekend and just study and work all the differnt modes. I hunt mainly in All Metal mode now.

Jack

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Like JackInFlorida, I too, have been hunting mostly in all-metal mode. Especially when relic hunting a large field. I find that all-metal makes the coil much more sensitive to targets off to the side, what I like to call peripheral signals. It's almost like having a divining rod in your hands, you begin to hear the rise in the threshold tone and automatically swing in that direction. These are targets that you might have otherwise walked right by in discrim mode. I find the same benefits at the beach using my Excalibur in all-metal mode.

Jim

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ziphius said:
Like JackInFlorida, I too, have been hunting mostly in all-metal mode. Especially when relic hunting a large field. I find that all-metal makes the coil much more sensitive to targets off to the side, what I like to call peripheral signals. It's almost like having a divining rod in your hands, you begin to hear the rise in the threshold tone and automatically swing in that direction. These are targets that you might have otherwise walked right by in discrim mode. I find the same benefits at the beach using my Excalibur in all-metal mode.

Jim

I really like to use All-metal too, I get great results.

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liquid1 said:
goldiver you will love the small coil....It is awesome..

Thanks man, I will have to check it out.

Steve

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi everyone,

Good, interesting thread. Goldiver thanks for posting your results...on the subject...can anyone give an idea of depth results on penny/dime targets found in the field? My test plot gives mixed results on freshly buried pennies, that I don't think would be representative of coins found in undisturbed ground. What kind of results are you typically finding?

I like the All-Metal Motion mode as well. I find it's quite stable by comparison with the disc modes, and allows higher gain settings generally. I prefer target identification in this mode as well....seems more reliable, less falsing.

Jim.

Hello Jim,
In general I am having no problem at all locating pennies at 7 to 8 inches actual ground depth PLUS the depth of the grass which is generally 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Please note that this is with a Sensitivity setting of 65-70 and ground balance around 65 and at the Low Gain settings. This is not just a guessed measurement, but the actual measurement.

These results may be true with deeper coins also, but so far this is my experience. It will go even deeper and perform better in all-metal but lately I have used the Disc. mode for convenience sake only. I can't say it enough, the F-75 is amazing, even for a thirty year veteran of metal detecting.

Good Luck to you,
Steve

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd
:thumbsup:...Hi guys I have just started using the all metal mode a bit more..But after my beach trip I'm hooked for sure..The F75 seems to have an option for any kind of hunting..Jim same here with coins I have found a nickel at 9" in a playground tot lot part saw shavings part dirt in
De,sense 80,3 tone..fastgrab GB...most coins have been found around 2" to 7"...pennies/nickels/dimes ect..mostly in Disc modes..I have found a Iron stob at 18" in all metal and it bout blew my ears off sense 85..james

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread