F2 - Is this detector a good value Yes or No

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've heard that for a basic detector it compares to an ace 250, so it can't be all bad

Sniffer

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will find coins. With proper experience you can find coins that more expensive detector operators will miss. Naturally the more money you spend the more extra bells and whistles you get which can add or take away from the fun.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
F

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-5,Delta 4000,Garrett CX-III
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
I've had both the Ace 250 and the F2. Still have the F2 got rid of the 250. The F2 is a great detector for the money, you won't be dissapointed. Found my first silver ring with the F2. The 250 is still using 20 year old technology from what I understand and I tend to believe it with my experience with it.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Apparently, the secret to success with this detector is to dig those signals that jump between mid tone & high tone, besides the solid high tones. I spent several hours with it in a nearby park & schoolyard. Didn't find much & deepest coin 1 1/4". I planted a dime in the backyard down almost 4" & the ID jumped between dime, quarter, zinc & pulltab. I had been following the general rule, jumping=trash. Now I must go back & dig up some of those "trash" signals!

Also in my ground it beeps alot on iron with iron accepted, so one must (if they don't want to hear all that) turn sensitivity down or reject iron. I haven't really tried to investigate if some of those iron signals are good deep objects. HH, George (MN)

night0wl

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
I would have to say that it is a good buy, I am new to detecting and still learning but it is pretty sensitive and very quick on recovery. The signals jump around a bit in all metal mode but after spending some time and disc. iron I found it to be easy to use and pinpointing was a breeze. For the most part 6 inches seems to be about the limit on coins. I also found that in all metal mode in would pickup iron fairly deep (6-10") but the signal would start out giving the higher sounds as well as jumping around some. Also some of the iron signals I could not find and suspect that the soil was a culprit, used to be lots of barbed wire around my area and its possible that is part of the issue as well. All in all it was a good buy for me at $200.00 with the 8" and 4" coil, light weight and easy to learn. If I had it to do over I would buy it again.

Hope this helped,
Brent

S

someotherdude

George (MN) said:
Apparently, the secret to success with this detector is to dig those signals that jump between mid tone & high tone, besides the solid high tones. I spent several hours with it in a nearby park & schoolyard. Didn't find much & deepest coin 1 1/4". I planted a dime in the backyard down almost 4" & the ID jumped between dime, quarter, zinc & pulltab. I had been following the general rule, jumping=trash. Now I must go back & dig up some of those "trash" signals!

Also in my ground it beeps alot on iron with iron accepted, so one must (if they don't want to hear all that) turn sensitivity down or reject iron. I haven't really tried to investigate if some of those iron signals are good deep objects. HH, George (MN)

I don't own a F2 nor have I even tried one. But I just wanted to point out that the reason your getting jumpy hits one your dime was you probably used a modern dime vs a silver one. The higher tones would be for silver or lower conductance coins while the lower tones would be for higher conductance coins like gold or nickle. So a modern dime being a combination of copper and nickle etc... it seems reasonable it would jump around. BTW the difference from what I've seen between the F2 and the 250 is really mostly about what kinda ground your hunting. Many people swear by their F2s while others swear by their 250s, I think it's probably just that they work better in different soils so which ever one works best where ever you are is what you should go with. Also I cant recall ever having found much below 4". I know allot of people say they have, but I take those reports with a grain of salt. I've tried allot of detectors and depending on what your hunting for and the type of soil etc... there's no one best kind or brand or whatever. Best Idea is to find a good site and hunt it with whatever you own, then when you think it's hunted out try a different detector there, or every time you switch detectors try hunting these older sites, betcha find even more just like brand new.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
It is worth the money. It has get a lot of bang for the buck with the machine. The issues I have with it is that is built pretty cheaply. The plastic face plate is really thin and I ruined mine the first real hunt I took it out on in the woods. It also is not a depth hog, but I didn't buy it to be a depth machine, I got it to use in the parks.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Well the F2 finds metal so I guess it's a good value. But I got two for my nephews and everything over four inches they both identified as iron. So if you like to dig it all, the F2 isn't bad.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2 s a good machine hits coins harder than any machine ive owned other than the Minelab Quattro. But for the price cant beat it. For coins defantly the F2 for the Jewlry and Coins the Ace 250 hands down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions